I'm so frustrated...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So on top of the fact that this is our fourth cycle TTC and I KNOW I wont get a BFP this month (DF is out of town) I found out even more frustrating news today. I'm starting a new job with the hospital system and they will only cover me to deliver in one of their facilities. And the only "birth center" they have is really just the hospital and they want to make it sound more natural. It's attached to the hospital, you can't have a water birth, they force all the interventions on you, blah blah blah just like a hospital would. So I checked into DF's insurance policy and they also don't cover deliveries at a birth center. I'm so frustrated and feel like everything is working against us right now. I refuse to deliver in the hospital just because it's what's covered under our insurance. I guess we'll be paying out of pocket when the time actually comes...if it ever comes. I didn't think I would be frustrated so quickly, but I really am.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11), Caleb (8/6/12) and Carson (10/14/14)Expecting #4 February 2017!!!
Life As We Know It
November 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, paying out of pocket for a midwife or birth center is worth it. We had to pay up front the costs for our birth center, then it's up to us to try and get reimbursement from our insurance. I *think* our insurance will cover some of it, based on our policy,but I won't be mad if they don't. So far, the care I've recieved has been worth every penny. I also look at it this way, between copays and deductibles, we'd probably pay close to the same amount to have a hospital birth as we are paying to the birth center.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
November 17th, 2008, 07:12 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
What about a home birth?
November 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
What about a home birth?[/b]
DF wont agree to a home birth. It took a lot of persuasion to get him to agree to a birth center.

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11), Caleb (8/6/12) and Carson (10/14/14)Expecting #4 February 2017!!!
Life As We Know It
November 18th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm so with you! I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. I would definitely agree that paying out of pocket is better though than going to a birth center if you truly wanted a water birth and an intervention free birth. I had my son in a hospital and it was so hard to fight them off all the time and I still ended up with pitocin. If they end up closing the birth center I am going to now I will likely be paying out of pocket to go to another one not covered under my insurance too. Heck, by the time you end up paying all the co-pays and hospital admission (we have to pay $250 I think) it may end up not being that much more money after all. *HUGS*

November 18th, 2008, 08:17 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you're so frusturated! It is so hard to ttc iwth your DH away.

However- I wouldn't rule out that your insurance won't pay.... florida has really great laws for midwifery care with insurance coverage- the BC can help you more with specifics- but I'm almost certain at least part of it should be covered.

November 18th, 2008, 12:58 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
well, I understand how you could be frustrated.Try to just focus on TTC right now, and worry about the rest later! Stress won't help.

you're such a sweetie, I hope it works out for ya!
November 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. I'm trying not to stress about any of it. I'm just frustrated with it all and things are really hectic and crazy right now with working and grad school, plus TTC. I feel like my mind is being pulled in 10000 directions. I want just one thing to work out right. And so far TTC hasn't been that one thing. Oh well...I keep trying to tell myself it will happen.

I'll have to look further into the FL state laws when the time comes Cheryl. Maybe I can get around it...somehow. Well, I'm off to do schoolwork now for the night.

Life As We Know It
November 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry Im late to post but I just wanted to tell you that my insurance company flat out told me that they didnt cover any of the birthing centers. So I told my midwife and she said that she hears that all the time and to let her call. Apparently they have to offer another kind of "out of network" alternative or something like that. They didnt cover the 80% like if it was a hospital but they did cover 60%. I dont know if you tried to have a birthing center call but I thought I would let you know that. The insurance companies try to be so "tricky". Anyway good luck.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
November 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Sorry Im late to post but I just wanted to tell you that my insurance company flat out told me that they didnt cover any of the birthing centers. So I told my midwife and she said that she hears that all the time and to let her call. Apparently they have to offer another kind of "out of network" alternative or something like that. They didnt cover the 80% like if it was a hospital but they did cover 60%. I dont know if you tried to have a birthing center call but I thought I would let you know that. The insurance companies try to be so "tricky". Anyway good luck.[/b]
Thanks! That's a great idea. I'll definitely try that when the time comes!

Life As We Know It

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search