My birth plan

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Here is my birth plan ladies....please feel free to give suggestions or add anything you think I've forgotten.
Thanks!

Nikki and Eric xxxxx Birth Preferences

Dear Piedmont Midwives and CMC Pineville staff,
We have chosen you to attend the very special event of our child’s birth, and are very excited. We trust in your expertise and in your sensitivity to our individual needs and wishes. Thank you in advance for your support and encouragement during our birth. The following items describe our “ideal” birthing. They are our preferences, but we realize interventions may be needed in the event of emergencies. Our goal is to be as open minded as possible, while having our wishes respected. Although we may be in the medical field, neither of us have any experience in labor or delivery. Please treat us like every other Mom and Dad.

THE SHORT VERSION: We are using Hypnobabies- please do NOT offer an epidural or drugs. We want the least number of interventions possible. My personal motto is “My body knows this”, and I’d like to be encouraged with this phrase during my birthing.

IN THE EVENT OF EMERGENCY:
If a situation becomes emergent and life threatening for either myself or our baby, we will, of course yield to any request for life saving intervention, upon the briefest of consultation. We have no objections to blood products.

PREADMISSION:
-If I go past my due date and the baby is fine, I prefer to go into labor naturally. Induction is a last resort. We will not even consider induction until 41 weeks.
-Please obtain my permission before stripping my membranes during an exam. I prefer minimal vaginal exams if all else is normal.
-We will be laboring at home as long as possible, with our doula Annette. I have a doppler to check FHT, and will come in at the first sign of a decrease in heartrate.
If I am less than 5cm on arrival, and baby is stable, we would like the option of returning home.

INDUCTION:
-If induction becomes necessary, I would like to try natural techniques.
Including: Breast stimulation, walking, Herbs, Castor oil, Chiropractic techniques. We are open to other suggestions.
-If medical induction becomes necessary, I prefer to first have my membranes stripped.
If prostaglandins are needed, we will accept ____, not ______.
If Pitocin becomes absolutely required, please start at low doses and increase it slowly.

ENVIRONMENT:
-I wish for my husband to remain with me at all times. We will also have our doula Annette for labor support. The only relative allowed during labor or delivery will be Bridget Gregg. Please do not allow anyone else to enter our room, or give them information. All info should come from Annette or Eric.
-We would like to use the following equipment: birthing ball, jacuzzi tub, and squatting bar, rocking chair.
We will be performing various techniques of very successful self hypnosis, and for this reason we will bring music and CD’s. We will also have dimmed lighting, and ask the staff to speak in soft voices. Please avoid references to “pain”, “hurting”, or “hard work”. These words are disruptive to our hypnosis process, and we thank you for respecting our unique needs. Do not offer drugs or ask what my pain level is. It is more appropriate to ask “What is your comfort level?”. We appreciate your help!

IV & PAIN RELIEF:
-I’d like no restrictions on food or fluids during labor. I understand and accept the risks of not remaining NPO.
-I prefer to have a saline lock placed on admission, in case of later “true” emergency.
Unless needed to carry other important meds, please don’t leave IVF’s going.
PLEASE DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, OFFER ME PAIN MEDICATIONS OR AN EPIDURAL. I know they are available, and will ask for them if I feel I need them.
I am prepared to handle pain with natural and alternative methods, mainly the hypnobabies program we’ve been studying for months. I’ll also use breathing techniques, the tub, accupressure, massage, guided relaxation.
I wish to move freely and walk around while in labor. I want to assume any position that is comfortable at that moment.

MONITORING:
-It’s our desire to decline continuous EFM. Intermittent checks are fine.
-Even if Pitocin is being used, continuous monitoring will be declined as long as baby looks good during intermittent checks. EFM interferes with my need to move around, and be in the tub.
-Internal monitoring is ONLY to be used in a life threatening situation.

LABOR & PUSHING:
-It is our desire to let our birthing to proceed upon its natural course, without time restrictions. If an increase in oxytocin becomes needed, please allow us to try our natural methods before we’ll consent for Pitocin or AROM.
-As long as the baby and I are healthy, please do not impose time limits on us for pushing.
-Encourage any position, including: squatting, hands and knees, side lying, standing and leaning, semi recline, or whatever feels right at the time.
-I refuse an episiotomy unless there is a true medical emergency. I accept the risk of tearing.
-To help prevent tearing, please consider using hot compresses, oil, perineal massage, and encouraging me to breathe properly for slower crowning.
-Please use a local anesthetic for any needed repairs.

DELIVERY:
-I’d like to view the birth using a mirror.
-Please do not direct me in pushing unless I ask for assistance. For example, no counting to ten, or yelling “push” unless the baby is in distress. I’ll be using positions I find effective, and this will be mother directed.
-Feel free to encourage me to relax my face and “open my spincters”.
I would like to touch my baby’s head as it crowns.
I would like to help catch my baby and pull him onto my abdomen as he is born. My partner also wants to help catch.
We’d like our baby to be put directly onto my abdomen following birth, and remain there, as long as he is healthy.
Please do not separate us until my baby has successfully breastfed on both breasts.
We’d like an hour for bonding and breastfeeding. Please delay all essential routine procedures (Vit K/ eye ointment) until after this period.

THIRD STAGE OF BIRTHING:
-Please allow my partner to cut the umbilical cord, if this doesn’t interfere with banking the cord blood.
-We will be using Viacord to collect our baby’s cord blood.
-I prefer the placenta to be born spontaneously, without manual extraction. We don’t want traction placed on the placenta, and realize this my take a few extra minutes. We appreciate your patience.

OUR NEWBORN:
-We do NOT consent to Hepatitis B vaccine. We will be postponing this to a later time.
-We’d like to give our baby his first bath. Please assist us with the tub for this.
-Our little guy will be exclusively breastfed. We’d like to see a lactation consultant as soon as possible.
-Under NO circumstances is he to be given formula, OR sugar water without our EXPLICIT CONSENT. If it is thought to be medically necessary, please run it by us first.
-Please do not give him a pacifier.

Come visit my blog!
November 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I think you have a nice plan. The only thing I *personally* would be worried about are all the "ifs" for interventions b/c I think sometimes that opens the door to say you're not against them, ya know? And if you're not then that's fine too. For example, I didn't have anything in my birth plan about pitocin b/c I feel like that just opens the door for them to say it was absolutely necessary, even if it wasn't. If you're having your baby in a hospital, I feel like they're always going to make you feel like every intervention is crucial. That's just me and my perception though. The only other recommendation I have is maybe making it a little shorter and not doing it as much in full sentences. I just remember from my Bradley class they wanted us to make it as to the point as possible so if someone was looking over it while you're in labor, they're not having to take 15 mins to read everything.

I think you have a lot of wonderful ideas and are definitely on the right track! Good luck!
November 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Souns good! Looks like you covered all the bases I can think of.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
November 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that looks great!

November 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
Sounds great.

November 21st, 2008, 07:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It looks great! I would also be sure to discuss many of these things over with your doctor before the birth, to be sure you are on the same page. Many hospitals have a certain way of doing things, and if things go fast, you might not have time or think to give them your birth plan. I ran into this with my first and during the birth, I was overwhelmed, I never thought to specify what I wanted.

Expecting baby #4!

November 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
It looks great Nikki! I might even take a few bits from yours to make mine better! If that's okay with you that is!

November 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Looks great Nikki!!!
November 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That looks great! I think you covered everything really well!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 23rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Thanks ladies! I think I may use this version for all my appts between now and delivery, to make sure all my midwives know ALL my wishes and plans. But I'm also going to make a shorter version, in more bullet form, to use for when I actually go to the hospital. That way my nurse can get on our same page quickly as well. And of course, there is that small possibility that I'll deliver during the crappy 36 hours of the weekend when only an OB is covering. Although that still irritates me, I just keep reminding myself what a great squatting NCB my close friend just had there with one of the OB's. I sometimes feel like throwing a tantrum and yelling "I want my midwives!".
Feel free to copy anything you want from my plan!

Come visit my blog!
November 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
sounds pretty good, I need to make one!
November 24th, 2008, 05:36 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd love to see your bullet point plan to when you're finished- if you want to share

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search