Better care, bigger size?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So this may be a weird question: do you think there is any connection to the baby's size and the care a mother recieves during her pregnancy?

The first thing I noticed when browsing the babies born at the birth center, were thier size. At least 60-70% of the babies born there are well over 8lbs at birth. They post a picture of each baby born and thier stats, after the birth, and I always look when I go in. I just am constantly amazed by the size of the babies, what many doctors would call the big babies. Is there a connection? What do you think it is?

Part of me feels the better care recieved plays a part, along with the education, by helping a mother eat healthier and strive for a healthier pregnancy. I also think the fact that mothers are left at the birth center to go into labor naturally, when thier body is ready. No one is pushing for an induction or c-section at 37-38 weeks because mom is full term or because of fear of a big baby, and the earlier the baby, the smaller. Even when you browse a hospitals website, you rarely see babies born much over 7lbs, the statistics are more the other way around.

The best thing is though, the birth center has never had to transfer a mom because her baby is "too big" and can't be birthed naturally. My midwife even told me a story the other day of a mom who was going for a VBA2C, both previous c-sections because of supposed big babies, born over 10lbs. She succesfully had her 3rd child vaginally, at the birth center and again, this baby was over 10lbs! And doctors say it can't be done...should we ever be suprised by nature?

November 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM
littlebabydolly
I bet a lot of it has to do with not rushing the birth. It's hard to say if nutrition is a part of it. Wouldn't unhealthy eating mothers have "fat" babies because they eat junk food all the time?! I really dont know! I have ran into vegan moms who's natural born baby was tiny! My mom gained 50 with me and I was 7-11. I've gained 50 too so maybe my baby will be similar?!
November 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nearly all the babies born throught the midwife group I am going with are 8lbs and over. My midwife mentioned to me that he thinks it is because women are encouraged to eat healthier and are given support in doing so, also helped with quitting smoking, also (they have been running for about 1 year) they have not had to have anyone induced early. I think I remeber him saying they don't induce untill you have gone 2 weeks over if pregnancy is going all good.
November 20th, 2008, 06:43 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
It seems like there probably is a significant connection there!
November 20th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Very interesting!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
November 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just lurk here, but wanted to respond, both my sons were full term, I went into labor naturally with both and had natural childbirth with both, but I seem to make small babies, one was 5lbs 11oz one was 5lbs 12 oz, my oldest arrived 3 days after his due date and my younger was 5 days before. I had wonderful care and was very healthy, I think just sometimes people make smaller or bigger babies regardless of care.

It just frustrates me because I get asked quite often how early they were, if I was induced early, and and what I did wrong during pregnancy to have small babies.
November 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
I never thought of that or knew that. I bet it is because there are a lot less inductions.

November 21st, 2008, 07:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I just lurk here, but wanted to respond, both my sons were full term, I went into labor naturally with both and had natural childbirth with both, but I seem to make small babies, one was 5lbs 11oz one was 5lbs 12 oz, my oldest arrived 3 days after his due date and my younger was 5 days before. I had wonderful care and was very healthy, I think just sometimes people make smaller or bigger babies regardless of care.[/b]
I had put that in my original post, but I must have edited it out before posting. Genetics definitely plays the major role in a baby's size, so if mom or dad are smaller, I think they are more likely to have a smaller baby.

November 22nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Quote:
I just lurk here, but wanted to respond, both my sons were full term, I went into labor naturally with both and had natural childbirth with both, but I seem to make small babies, one was 5lbs 11oz one was 5lbs 12 oz, my oldest arrived 3 days after his due date and my younger was 5 days before. I had wonderful care and was very healthy, I think just sometimes people make smaller or bigger babies regardless of care.

It just frustrates me because I get asked quite often how early they were, if I was induced early, and and what I did wrong during pregnancy to have small babies.[/b]
Totally. My mom's mom and my aunt both have small babies. My mom was the 'big' one at 6 1/2 lbs! My aunt's youngest was 4 lbs 10 oz, full term and healthy. The average is around 8 lbs, so obviously some are bigger and some are smaller. I think that most of it has to do with not ripping them from the womb before they are ready. Doesn't someone in here have a friend or acquaintance that delivered a 12 lb. baby naturally? Though it can be influenced by care, I agree that most is genetics.

November 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I think in general women who take better care of themselves are going to have a bit larger babies. With my first, to be honest I had no clue what I was doing and I didn't eat well, I didn't really take very good care of myself (better than I did pre-pregnancy but not as good as I should have!). He was in my opinion "small" 7lbs 9ozs. With my 2nd I was much more aware of everything and very careful about everything I did and everything I put in my body and he was 8lbs 11.6ozs! And that was by far the BIGGEST baby birthed in our family as long as anyone can remember!!! No one in our family both sides - Dh and mine have ever produced one over 8lbs until Jayden lol!

But then I think some women just have smaller babies, I have friends who took great care of themselves and still only had little 6-7lb babies. So who knows!

Facebook
November 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
I've been reading "The Natural Pregnancy Book" By Aviva Jill Romm and I just read where the better nourished that the mother is with good nutrients in the right amounts as often as possible the healthier the child will be, thus lowering the likelihood of serious health problems after birth weight-wise and gestation-wise.

November 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think that most of it has to do with not ripping them from the womb before they are ready.[/b]
I think that's the big thing. I am seeing a lot of inductions being scheduled for babies who are getting "too big" which is funny, because most are right on track for being just over 8lbs at birth. Doctors don't seem to trust a woman's body anymore, any baby that starts to go over the 7lb mark is too big by thier standards. It seems like doctors are also quick to schedule c-sections for a week or two before a woman's due date, just because she's considered full term. I was so happy to see my cousin's section scheduled for 39w6d, for her breech baby. At least some doctors still have some common sense!
I'm a firm believer that a woman can birth any baby she carries, if given the chance. I just wish more moms had the information given to them on how to do that. Instead, they seem to be pushed in c-sections, which we know is simply for the doctor's convienence.

November 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, I think there is definatly a genetic component. My husband and I were both small babies, (under 6lbs) my sister and her husband were small and have two babies that were small, although my sister did go into labor 3 weeks early with both, completly naturally. My husband and I are also very small people.
November 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I agree that genetics is alot. I took good care of myself during pregnancy, and was induced 2 weeks over due. She was 6 pounds 12 ounces. I can't imagine what she would have een if she was born early. She wsa fat too! Short though! lol I mean dh and I both small people. I'm 5'2" and 115 pounds and dh is 5'8" and about 140 pounds. So not like we will have us a power forward!! lol

I would tend to think that a birthing center would have slightly aboe average size babies as they are not induced early for doctors going out of town

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search