My Dr. is going to turn my breech baby....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
What exactly is she going to do? Does it hurt? Is it safe? She might do it on Monday or in two weeks. I have to see this Dr. for VBAC consent for the hospital.

November 20th, 2008, 08:25 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
have you been trying the natural ways? Look into acupuncture? From what I understand turning the baby is pretty painful for you, and babies don't like it. I would recommend doing all the things afterward to keep baby down, sometimes they turn back around.

Good luck!!!!!!!
November 21st, 2008, 07:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was going to say the same thing. You might want to try everything you can to get the baby to turn on its own. It definately isnt too late. There are positions that you can get in that will help baby turn. (On knees and elbows with butt in the air and head down). Ive heard many success stories with having babies manually turned but Ive also heard stories of moms being rushed in for an emergency c section because the baby gets stressed and the heart rate plummets. If you do a google search Im sure a bunch of things will turn up to try on your own. Good luck hun!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
November 21st, 2008, 07:49 AM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Chiropractors can also turn babies, just FYI. They have to be trained in the technique but you could always call around. The one I used to work for had a 100% success rate! But you typically have to go in a week or 2 before delivery.
November 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I had an external version, it was not painful, if it is then it is likely from complications that may require emergent birth. For most women it does not hurt, there are a lot less risks to an external version than to a cesarean. I would have one if I was you.

November 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I would check out a chiropractor first! They are amazing and like the other ladies said there is a special technique for turning breech babies
November 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Acupuncture is most effective in weeks 34-6, but I always see patients up to the very end, because you never know when the baby will magically turn You want to find someone who does moxibustion, and i generally instruct the patient and their spouse on how to do it at home (including being on all fours) multiple times a day. Good luck.

November 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
kmac's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
first off....good luck and i hope your baby turns! i had been planning a natural childbirth however my daughter decided to turn breech at 36 weeks. i tried going to the chiropractor 3x a week....(the technique is called the Webster method...find someone who is certified in it), i tried taking pulsatilla pills (you can get them at the health food store and it supposedly helps to loosen the area around the uterus to give the baby more room to turn), i also tried many different positions recommended (www.spinningbabies.com if you havent already gone there).

if i were you, i would try as many different options as possible if you are really dedicated to a natural childbirth. however, i have heard the versions are painful and dont have a great success rate (about 50%). babies can become stressed by it, or there may be a reason why they are breech (umbilical cord too short, or wrapped around them). the webster method has a better rate of success, as does the acupuncture. good luck and its never too late! i was doing handstands and headstands the night before i went in for my c-section, and made them do an ultrasound before the c-section just to make sure she hadnt turned.
November 23rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I would definitely look into the chiropractor thing as well. Good luck hun with whatever you do and try. I hope your little one turns for you! *HUGS*

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

November 24th, 2008, 06:45 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I have some articles I can send you by email if you still want them! Just let me know, PM me your email address. One has great diagrams of all the things you can do to encourage babies to turn.
November 24th, 2008, 06:59 AM
mothra's Avatar Martha
just wanted to pop in to say that i also had an external version done at 37 weeks for my breech baby. my doctor said mine was unusually easy to turn. they gave me a shot of (crap i can't remember the name of the drug...) to relax my uterine muscles. one of the side effects is slight palpitations and a sort of panicky feeling, but it's really not bad. it was REALLY uncomfortable for a few seconds but it was over really fast. they kept me for a couple hours for observation and then let me go. no complications. the hardest part for me was getting used to the new position of my baby. all these muscles that weren't being stretched before now were, and walking and moving was surprisingly painful for a few days. one thing - MAKE SURE they continue to check the position of the baby, even when you're in labor if possible. somehow they missed that my son was still "sunny side up" and not turning on his own, so i ended up with a c-section anyway. like the other ladies said, try some natural ways of turning first. the version was a piece of cake but if you're scared then there are other things to try. good luck to you!

eta: i didn't mean to sound like the reason i had a c-section was strictly because of the sunny side up positioning..there was lots of other factors. obviously that can be avoided too. i didn't mean to scare you or anything!

November 27th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
Quote:
Chiropractors can also turn babies, just FYI. They have to be trained in the technique but you could always call around. The one I used to work for had a 100% success rate! But you typically have to go in a week or 2 before delivery.[/b]
Wow 100%, that would be great. they told me 85%.

Quote:
just wanted to pop in to say that i also had an external version done at 37 wbut if you're scared then there are other things to try. good luck to you!eeks for my breech baby. my doctor said mine was unusually easy to turn. they gave me a shot of (crap i can't remember the name of the drug...) to relax my uterine muscles. one of the side effects is slight palpitations and a sort of panicky feeling, but it's really not bad. it was REALLY uncomfortable for a few seconds but it was over really fast. they kept me for a couple hours for observation and then let me go. no complications. the hardest part for me was getting used to the new position of my baby. all these muscles that weren't being stretched before now were, and walking and moving was surprisingly painful for a few days. one thing - MAKE SURE they continue to check the position of the baby, even when you're in labor if possible. somehow they missed that my son was still "sunny side up" and not turning on his own, so i ended up with a c-section anyway. like the other ladies said, try some natural ways of turning first. the version was a piece of cake

eta: i didn't mean to sound like the reason i had a c-section was strictly because of the sunny side up positioning..there was lots of other factors. obviously that can be avoided too. i didn't mean to scare you or anything![/b]
No, you didn't scare me, thanks! It doesn't sound so bad.

Thanks ladies. I had acupuncture the other day. the baby moves her head down but doesn't stay. I do moxa sticks, it's a little difficult I burn myself a little. Tomorrow I see the chiropractor, I hope she turns. then maybe I'll try the version but I don't know I'm having false labor though, I want her to wait until she turns and until December! I have cramps and contractions for two days. I've been doing a lot of exercises too!

November 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Chrissiek's Avatar Super Mommy
I've been reading stuff on this site.... about baby positioning.. it might be something to look at.

http://spinningbabies.simplwebsite.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search