What happened to...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just trusting a woman's body and the natural process of labor and birth? I just don't get it! I really don't remember seeing so many inductions or c-sections when DD was born, just over 2 years ago. Now, it seems like I don't see many births that are just left to progress on their own time.
It seems like there are a lot of inductions being pushed for "big babies". Especially in moms with GD, they are being induced prior to thier due dates so the baby doesn't get too big. I know a lot of doctors consider inducing for GD a medical neccesity, but if the baby is perfectly healthy, why induce just because they think they baby is getting big? We all know first, weights on ultrasounds can be way off, and second, most big babies don't actually pose a problem if they are given a chance.
What happened to a natural birth? Even if a woman gets drugs, I'd love to see a few more births that don't start off by inductions or end in a c-section.

Expecting baby #4!

November 25th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I hear ya! It's so upsetting to me that it's becoming so normal to be induced the minute a woman hits 40 weeks. I just don't get it. Especially when all the facts show that if a woman if left to progress on her own the average length of gestation is just over 41 weeks. If anything, THAT should be the norm. Ugh. It's just so frustrating! It feels like it's never going to get back to natural and that breaks my heart for our own children.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

November 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
the insurance companies being so involved in making the rules,for one.
November 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not to forget, how much due dates can be off. With both of kids, my due date by LMP is off by 5 days, since I ovulate on day 19 of my cycle. I learned my lesson last time and just fibbed on when my last period was, so my due date would be correct. Many women don't know when the ovulate, then doctors are changing due dates long past the first trimester, making them even more inaccurate. Even 5 days can make a big difference when you're 37-38 weeks. Probably why many women go over thier due dates, too.

Expecting baby #4!

November 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
littlebabydolly
I'm totally with you. I kind of came over here to this side of the boards thinking of posting the same myself. It seems like there has only been one vaginal birth so far... though I know it's still early for most December births and most of the labors have been "high risk" type ones so far. Still, everyone seems to know their induction date! I had no idea that doctors were regularly marking a date in. I thought that was the case with c-sections but not with just regular labors. Also, it doesn't seem like inductions are a sure fire way to get the baby out. It seems like they are often followed up by a c-section for failure to progress. I'd like to think that not all women are "broken" and that the baby will just come in time! I said that and someone gave me this horror story of a lady who never went into labor with three children after 42 weeks. Yes, ok there is someone out there like that but that can't be the example all women should bow down to. Also, what is with this horrible fear of giant babies? Does it have to do with our culture an idealizing thin people?! Sometimes it seems so! It's news to me that a 7.5lb baby is "big". I guess most people are used to taking what their doctors say as fact so they dont know to question these u/s measurements. It's a shame!
November 26th, 2008, 04:36 AM
When I was almost 41 weeks I had an u/s due to Bryson not moving much on a NST and the tech estimated he would weigh 9.5 lbs. No one ever mentioned to me that I may need to be induced because of it but I guess they figured at that stage in the pregnancy I was going to be having the baby soon anyway. I can't tell you the number of women I've heard that their OB's told them that they needed to induce because of a big baby and the baby was barely 7 or 8 lbs. I would so pissed if I believed my doctor and that was what my baby weighed. I don't understand how so many women don't know these things. But then we are taught that our doctors have our best interest at heart and we should trust them. So why should they question someone who went to school for upteen years and is supposed to have sworn to do no harm first and foremost.

November 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
MamaBx3
I was thinking the same thing, Andrea.
All the c-section and inductions in our DDC.. good grief. I'm not a fan!
November 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't even know that doctors schedueld inductions before 41 weeks unless there was a real medical reason. I suppose always having a midwife I have always been told that we wouldn't talk about induction untill my 41 week appointment. I think it is scary that people are being induced so early, and I have never had anyone say that you are "full term" at 37 weeks! I was always told that was at 40 weeks. And as far as big babies go I have never heard of someone being induced because of that eather, my first was 10 and 1/2 pounds, my midwives never scared me into thinking he was going to be big, we never even talked about what size we thought he would be. just seems crazy to me.
November 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I have been thinking the same thing lately. I realized I don't know anyone IRL who's had her baby under circumstances other than pre-term labor or an induction/csection (anyone my own age that is). I know 2 women who were due the week before me and both ended up having their babies induced on the 18th - one for low fluid and one for large size. The one who was supposedly "too big" ended up 8.5 pounds. I know many procedures are scheduled for legit medical reasons, but it's disturbing to me that so many are scheduled for bogus reasons or because the EDD comes or because women are plain old sick of being pregnant. I almost don't know if I would trust my OB's reasons if she said we needed to induce but that's a whole other can of worms!

November 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It irritates me to no end. Especially when you tell them that you went PAST your due date and they say "the doctor didnt induce you??" Ummm no... I guess if they want to make that decision then fine but why do they look at US like WE are the crazy ones???!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
November 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
I think the most frustrating thing is that most women don't see anything wrong with being induced or having a c-section. When you say you are trying to avoid it they look at you like you're nuts! Since trying all the natural induction methods I'm now a firm believer that you have to let them come when they are ready. I understand true medical emergencies, but if you and baby are healthy I see no reason to force them out before their time.

November 30th, 2008, 07:35 PM
littlebabydolly
One excuse I heard for inducing after 40 weeks was so baby doesn't pass meconium. I just don't like this fear based rational. So many people have so many fears of birth it looses the naturalness of it all.
December 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I completely agree, I think it's a bad habit doctors are getting into. They shouldn't give thier patients fear-based reasons to induce them, like "The baby might pass meconium if he/she goes past term" They don't give statistics to back themselves up, but women are so willing to trust anything that thier doctor tells them. It's getting almost scary to see what the birth process has turned into.

Expecting baby #4!

December 1st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just don't think that the excuse "baby might pass meconium" is a ligit one anyway, how many babies realy have seriouse problems because of it? I know Maddy passed meconium and she had no problems after birth. I know it can be a problem if they breath it in but the doctor/midwife should know well before baby comes out if they have and have all the necisary things around to prevent bub breathing it in anyway. Meh I don't know.
December 2nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Wow! That's a new one to me. What the heck? I mean I know it can be dangerous at times but so can anything. Sheesh!

December 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
It's a crazy world we live in, huh? Doctor's are on timelines and therefore you and your birth need to fit their schedule... give me a break! Not to mention the scare tactics they use and the women who don't question a thing and always follow dr's orders no matter what. It's a shame when it's considered abnormal/weird/rare that a woman trust birth and allow the baby to come when it's nice and ready. Heaven forbid giving birth be a natural event and not an emergency from start to finish!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search