Hoping someone on here can get me started!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi all

A bit of background...I have a dd (Maya), born April 06 and am now expecting #2, due August 09.

To be frank, I hated my birth experience (in hospital) with Maya. Primarily, I hated the fact that everything was done according to their rules and their schedules, even if it meant that a 1 day old baby had to scream for 2 hours past the time she was due for a feed, because the pediatricians were doing their rounds and needed all the babies in the nursery (heaven forbid they should actually have to go to the mothers' rooms to see them ). I also hated the lack of support for bfing (grabbing my boob and shoving it in her mouth when I asked for help with her latch, trying to insist that I supplement with formula after she had lost a perfectly normal amount of weight (less than 10%) ). I came out of that hospital in tears and insisting that I would never again subject myself or another child of mine to that.

So - after a perfectly uneventful, practically symptom-free first pregnancy and a very easy vag delivery, I am thinking that I would be a pretty safe bet for a home birth.

Can anyone tell me how to get started? Do I need to see my obgyn to begin with and then transfer to a midwife at a later date or do I just sort myself out with a midwife from the get-go? How does it work with the diagnostic u/s at 18 or so weeks - will a midwife arrange that or do I need to keep contact with the obgyn for that purpose?

I'm a complete novice and really have no idea who to contact and where to go from here. I just have a big ole' BFP and some fine ideas which I need to bring to fruition
November 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi I'm Katie, mommy to Ethan and Maddy and number 3 due in a couple of weeks.
I don't know much about when and how to get in contact with a midwife, just wanted to say Welcome and Congrats on you BFP! I know the other girls on this board with have some good info for you.
November 30th, 2008, 10:19 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would get in touch with a midwife right away - I wanted a home birth and all the midwives in my area were booked up. The midwife can do all of the normal prenatal appointments as well as the ultrasounds. If you become high risk for any reason, they would then send you to an ob-gyn... Good luck hun!! I hope you get your home birth!!!

November 30th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
The way it worked with mine was that I had a midwife from the start (though neither were homebirths - next will be). She referred me to her back-up OBs office for the ultrasound because she didn't have one on-site.

Good luck! i would definitely recommend going with a midwife from the beginning.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 30th, 2008, 11:15 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im not too sure about what happens over there. There is also a home birth forum here on JM (around where this board is on the forum list)

December 1st, 2008, 05:04 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Good luck! definitely start making calls! I called the birth center here about 1 week after i found out i was pregnant (for a June delivery) and they were booked up into May 09!!!!!!! Worse case, even if you need to deliver in a hospital, the midwife (and doula if you have one as well) will come with you and assist you in the hospital. A few of my friends have done home births and raved about their experiences.

December 1st, 2008, 06:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Most midwives will start seeing you from the beginning. I am using a birth center this time, and they refer you out for labs, tests and ultrasounds. I would assume homebirth midwives do the same. What I also love is that everything is optional and my midwife gives me the information, pros/cons and then lets me decide if I want it done. I've actually opted out of a lot of the tests, except the ultrasound and GBS test.

Good luck!

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
December 1st, 2008, 07:05 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I agree that you should start with a midwife. They should be able to fill you in on how the rest works in your area. I don't think most midwives have u/s machines themselves so they would probably send you to an OB for that. Welcome to the board! I hope to see you posting more. Congrats on your BFP!

December 1st, 2008, 09:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Awesome - thanks everyone! I'll be making some preparatory calls and hopefully be able to get myself organised
December 1st, 2008, 12:29 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
congrats on your pregnancy and decision to have a home birth!!!!! It's so sad what goes on in hospitals sometimes.

I don't know much about finding local midwives, I can't even tell where you are located. I bet the homebirth site would be a good place to ask. And stick around here too!

December 2nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
First of all, WELCOME!! I am so sorry to hear about your hospital birth but you are making a great choice in having a home birth! I would contact a midwife right away. Every midwife is different, so you may be reffered to another office for u/s and tests or they may be able to do it themselves. Good luck on your NCB journey, hope to see you around!
December 2nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Oh boy do I understand what you went through!! Sounds like the hospital I delivered my boys at! This time I did NOT want to go the hospital route at all and I was a little lost myself! It actually took me till I was 11 weeks to figure out what to do lol. I just started googling "birthing centers" and found a bunch of listings, made some calls went and toured the facilities, talked with the midwife they explained how the birthing center works or if I wanted a home birth and made my decision. My appts are very similar to my OB appts - I pee in a cup, they do blood pressure, they measure my uterus, listen to the HB, yell at me about what I'm eating (or in my case NOT eating) lol. Because we won't have this baby in a hospital they really focus more on my eating & my health so that labor/delivery is as "typical" as possible. They do all the lab work right there (her staff is AMAZING didn't leave a mark with the needle!!) & I lucked out and my midwife has her own ultrasound machine so I don't get sent out for anything! Which is awesome! Plus, my appts last oh usually 30 minutes to an hour, I NEVER "wait" to be seen. I've only been there a few times but they all know me & my kids by name (which is impressive cause I have a hard time remember their names lol). No more, "uh Mrs (pulls out file to find name) Z, how are you today?"!

I hope you find exactly what you're looking for!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search