Annoyed

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
I have been having people ask me if I'm getting the epidural. Everytime I say I'm going to try without; I get the look like I'm stupid. Then they say its better to get it bcuz it makes you feel better and such. Why cant anyone back me up? I do not want to be all drugged up and not be able to walk. I like the feeling of walking around and such; esp if I'm in pain. Its just getting soo annoying!
December 1st, 2008, 05:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We seem to think that all pain has to be cured. If you're in pain, you must be crazy not to take medication to make yourself feel better right? People don't understand that the pain in childbirth is different. Just ignore them, you'll be able to show them that it's very possible to give birth without an epidural, women do it all the time!

December 2nd, 2008, 05:44 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
It really is annoying. I remember people saying this to me all the time when I was pregnant with my son as well. Just ignore them if you can. Or if you must tell them that you have done your research and the pros of going drug free outweigh the benefits of having no pain for a few hours.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 2nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
it's annoying as all heck for sure.
December 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's pretty typical to get that response. I certainly had to put up with it from everybody. The only one who was supportive was my husband. I just don't even know what to tell you... it seems to go with the territory.

I recently overheard a conversation between to strangers in the store. One was pregnant and when I happened to start hearing them they were talking about the sex of the baby. At the end of the short conversation the one woman finished by saying, "Congratulations. Get the epidural"

December 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I have been having people ask me if I'm getting the epidural. Everytime I say I'm going to try without; I get the look like I'm stupid. Then they say its better to get it bcuz it makes you feel better and such. Why cant anyone back me up? I do not want to be all drugged up and not be able to walk. I like the feeling of walking around and such; esp if I'm in pain. Its just getting soo annoying![/b]

I just lurk here...but I feel the same way. I don't understand why it's such a bad thing for me to not want an epidural...and even when I explain why (my hospital has a really high c section rate so if I don't take an epi I won't have to be on an iv or have the efm on me, which really lowers the risk of them cutting me up) they still think I'm crazy and act like I'm making a bad or unnecessary choice. I mean I just want to go through labor without killing/forever scarring myself or my child, I'm trying to make the best choices for that...why doesn't anyone understand???? Grrr. Sorry...just wanted to say I totally feel your pain!!
December 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I hear ya Sarah! Good for you for knowing the statistics of your hospital and preparing ahead of time!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I hear ya Sarah! Good for you for knowing the statistics of your hospital and preparing ahead of time![/b]

thanks Husher, I feel like I def need the encouragment!!
December 2nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I am SHOCKED and APPALLED at how many people tell me they are going to walk into the hospital and demand an epidural the minute they get there ( alot of them are my patients). Do people not do the research on these things? It is not a benign procedure. For you or the baby. Argh.

December 2nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I totally understand and it is so annoying! I had people sign my baby shower book messages with "get the epidural" even though they knew I don't want it. It's funny how the ones pushing the epidural don't seem interested in hearing any of the legitimate reasons for *not* getting one, ignorance really is bliss I suppose.

December 2nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I definitely think this is the most annoying part of wanting a NCB... hardly anyone is supportive and everyone wants to convince you to get an epidural and thinks you're crazy if you don't. I never understood why it matters so much to other people how *I* deal w/ MY birth, LOL!
December 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm definatly a birth activist, but I'm also every non-confrontational. But when people PUSH the epidural hard I respond with the statistics I feel are the most strong. My response is "Did you know epidurals contain morphine and lead to increased rates of drug addiction when the baby grows up? Did you know they also can cause DEATH?!!! I don't know about you- but most people I know would rather be in pain for a few hours then risk those side effects just for comfort."

That usually shuts people up!!!!

December 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Women amaze me today! They think the idea of an unmedicated birth is horrible. One girl I know with her second child, had a 3 HOUR labor... start to finish and after it was said and done, she said she would have rather been induced so she could have got her epidural as soon as she got there. OMG!! I'm like are you KIDDING ME? I'll take the three hour natural labor ANYDAY!!!
Maybe I am crazy but I've done the epidural thing, it's not that great!!

Facebook
December 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
thanks ladies, I am deff going to TRY to prove them wrong!!
December 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
"Did you know epidurals contain morphine and lead to increased rates of drug addiction when the baby grows up?"

this is a GREAT point. In my class we learned that if you charted the correlation between each type of drug used for birth in each decade and popular drug use amongst those babies as adults, there is an undeniable connection in the effects. For example, babies born from sedative drugs preferred to be sedated. I hope that makes sense.
December 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read about it in pushed

It really speaks to me- my family has a history of addictve personalities, and I attribute a part of my lack of a majorly addictive personality with the fact that I was born naturally.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search