First Time Moms and NCB

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Regular
Hello! So I had a dr's appt today and I told him that I was reading up about NCB methods. I have a couple of the books off of the recommended reading list on the sticky up above. And anyway, he said that for first time moms it is not as common to go natural due to the fact that labor takes a lot longer and that in his experience he sees second and third time moms go natural because it's easier for them and labor is a shorter and that the majority of his first time moms come in wanting to go natural but end up with an epidural or pain medicine in their IV. So he basically told me to keep an open mind.

Of course I will take what he has to say with a grain of salt. I'm a little concerned that my wishes might not be met in the labor and delivery room, but my DH will be there with me to help me enforce them. But I was wondering, are there very many first time moms (like myself) who have been able to go through a natural child birth?
December 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

I don't know, but I'm a first time mom and I'm hoping to get through as well so I wanted to let you know your not alone. I figure that it's probably going to be like a marathon...99% mental and the rest physical pain. But who knows!!
December 2nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I am going to be a first time mom and would not do it any other way. I am at a birth center with midwives, not an OB. I would look into getting a doula to assist you with your birth, so you have some support and backup on the NCB and it can decrease your chance of getting an epidural. Or switch to a midwife

December 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got through my first labor and birth naturaly, and I know a lot of women that have. You can all do it!
December 2nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That doctor sounds very UNfriendly to NCB moms.

if your serious your first step to a sucessful natural birth would be to

A- labor at home for the majority of labor (preferably with a NCB experienced Doula)

or

B- to get a New OB

preferably both for the best chances. I don't blame nurses or doctors who are not CB friendly- their jobs are very tough, and they're often overworked, and a mom who has drugs and other interventions makes THEIR job easier. I understand that, sortof, but I also firmly beleive that your birth is about YOU, and that your priorities need to be upmost.

December 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
i went natural with my first totally ditto Cheryl's suggestions! I would add, if you really WANT a NCB, put yourself in a situation where it would be harder to make the decision to get an epidural (free-standing birth center or home). Surround yourself with people who will help you achieve your goal. One or two people saying "it's okay if you want to get it" will make it much harder to get through labor without it. Seems innocent, but it makes it harder. you need people saying "you can do it, just get through this contraction"

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
MamaBx3
I went natural with my first and my second Don't let his views scare you away!
December 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i went natural and i just had my first in august. i only had contraction for about 6 hours and from the time my water broke to when Lily was born was only 9 hours. i was only at the hospital for the last 3 hours of labor. it was fine.

December 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I had a NCB w/ my first w/ no problems. I think you got some good suggestions in previous posts, it sounds like your dr isn't very supportive and if this is something that's very important to you, I would look at switching dr's.
December 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am a first time mommy and I just had my son on Nov 3rd and I went all natural! No drugs what so ever. I had all back labor too (baby was posterior). I dealt with the pain by getting a really rough massage through contractions.

Trust yourself, don't listen to the doctor. You will find ways to deal with the pain even if everything you read went out the window. If you want it bad enough you will find ways to cope. Just when you think you cant do it anymore, it'll be too late for an epidural

All of my friends have had the epidural and when we talk about our experiences they can never tell me how their pushing went cause all they felt was pressure. Let me tell you, pushing is the best part. You will never be so determined in your life! And talk about the euphoria when that baby comes out, but you will probably still have that even with the epi

I can not tell you how proud I was after it was all said and done. Just remember, the pain is GOOD pain...and you KNOW there is an end in sight.

Mama to my little men Brendan and PJ

Brendan Collin 11/03/08
Peyton James 07/11/11
December 2nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I went totally natural with my first and am planning on the same with this one. I was at a free-standing birth center where I actually had to sign a piece of paper stating I understood there was no possibility of an epi. I never ended up wanting it though. It can be done, and you can be the one doing it! I'm with the others on looking into a different doc if that is an option. Or a midwife. And of course, hang out here! These ladies are an awesome support group!

December 3rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Regular
Thanks for all of your comments! It's a good feeling knowing that I'm not alone. When I first found out that I was pregnant I was looking into birthing centers because I felt that was where I wanted to be, but when I found out that the closest one was 4 hours away, that kind of put a damper on that idea. We live in a small town/rural area and I only had the choice of two hospitals to go to (due to insurance purposes) and the doctor that I am with now is the only one who was accepting new patients and who delivers at the better of the two hospitals. (I went and checked both of the labor and delivery rooms at the hospitals before I ended up settling on a doctor.)

Surprisingly though, it is a doctor and midwife team that I'm going to. My monthly appointments have alternated between them and for whatever reason the doctor ends up taking more time with me and my questions during my appointments than the midwife does. So I can't really get a good feel for the midwife yet. I see her for my next appointment so I'll try and drop the NCB thing in with her and get a read from her then. Unfortunately though, whoever is on call when I go into labor will be the one who is with me in delivery, so regardless I could end up with the doc for delivery.

But on a brighter note, I'm going to work on building up my confidence and awareness about the labor process and try and wait it out at home for as long as I can. The hospital is only 3 blocks away from my house so it's not a huge deal for me if I don't go in right away when things start happening, as long as I don't freak out and think that something is wrong. I honestly don't want to spend that much time in the hospital anyway.

Lastly I want you all to know that you ladies here on this board are definitely helping me gain that independence and commitment that I'll be needing to get through a NCB without having a doc who fully supports the idea of it. So thank you again.
December 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi, welcome! I'm Cheryl, a co-host here. I had my daughter 100% intervention and med free in a hospital. I had a doula, and she was a LIFESAVER. Our nurse was rather crappy, new and slow. I concentrated 100% on my doula. She's the one that knew what to do to ease my back spasms. We took our childbirth classes with her in her home with another couple and that was great! it also gave us a chance to get to know her so by the birth, we had a real bond.

December 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Steph- just get yourself armed with information and that will empower you to get thru the pregnancy and delivery how you want it. A friend of mine was just at a midwife at a hospital and they gave her an epidural and she had a really wretched experience. I was really surprised that they pushed her to get it. She said it really delayed things and made the labor and delivery that much more difficult for her

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search