Episiotomies

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
How do you feel about them? Someone posted about this in my DDC and I was so surprised to see how many of the ladies said they had one with a previous pregnancy and quite a few said they didn't even know about it until afterwards. I was so surprised by this and it kind of upsets me since I thought that most OB's and midwives no longer see this as a beneficial procedure in most situations. Have you had one? What do you think?

December 3rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm really not sure how I feel about them. I'm planning to discuss it with my OBGYN and midwives. I have a friend who recently had a baby and she had one but she wasn't even told beforehand that they were giving her one.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
December 3rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
never had one and wouldn't consent to one unless it was absolutely necessary (which I can't really see...). But I don't give anyone any time to give me one! lol
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
December 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think they still are quite common and many women don't even know they have one. It's a shame doctors do it still at all as tearing naturally is usually better, but it's truly dispicable that doctors do it without even getting consent or telling the patient. I too would not consent to one.
December 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
I think they're unnecessary. I think tearing naturally is better and healing naturally. I already told them no episiotomy. I think birth should be all natural unless there is a real problem.

December 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
I had one with Nicholas. The doctor told me that she was going to do it, but had done it within 5 seconds of telling me so I didn't really have time to respond (that and the fact that I was in the middle of a push at the time which didn't help matters any). I'm making sure to put it in my birth plan that I do not want one this time, that I would rather tear.

December 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
even though it's well known that they are bad, it's alarming how many still do em. I would FREAK if that happened to me. I took a long time to crown and I bet most birth attendants would have done one. It's a brutal practice.

Cindy I hope you encourage your DDC ladies to read the thinking women's guide!!!
December 3rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am opposed to them, I have the view that once you cut something, it's going to rip much more easily. Luckily, the hospital I had Abby in didn't do them routinely, especially since I didn't get much say in anything anyway. It seems very unnecessary and I now feel that it's best to just let things happen naturally all the way around.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
December 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
they are saddly common in my area.

It's hard as a doula, b/c I really can't speak for my clients, but episiotomy is one of the FEW things I will speak up about.... if I see a DR reach for those sissors I say loud enough for everyone to hear "Jane, you put in your birth plan that you do not want an episiotomy. Dr Smith wants to do one, how do you feel about that?"

Then mom usually says NO!, and that is over, DR glares and me, but mom's perimium is not cut, so it's good... But if I hadn't said anything I'm sure that the doctor would have cut first, asked later.

It is horrid that it is done this way.. b/c mom and dad are usually FAR too busy to notice, and to stop it.

December 3rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Cheryl, you post makes me SICK. Thank goodness those women have you! The Birth Center I am at has a very low rate of episiotomies. My friend who delivered both babies there did have one, but she was having complications (the first birth she had to be transferred to the hospital and it was done there) and the second the baby was head out and stuck and turning blue. After a few minutes (eek!) they finally did the episiotomy. It was life or death.

December 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Quote:
I think they're unnecessary. I think tearing naturally is better and healing naturally. I already told them no episiotomy. I think birth should be all natural unless there is a real problem.[/b]
I completely agree w/ this!

So many people are amazed when I tell them I had a 9 lb baby naturally w/ no tearing or need for episiotomy, as if it's impossible for your body to actually work with you and not against you... sheesh!
December 3rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was in labor with Ethan my midwives were talking about giving me one. I said no thankyou! In the end I didn't even tear so I don't know why they would even talk about it. I would much rather tear naturaly than be cut.
Christian 8

December 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I did tear a bit, and it took a while after healing before I couldn't feel the scar line during sex. It wasn't fun. I can't imagine trying to recover from a deep cut. I have to wonder about these care givers that do then all the time, how can they be ok with that? Gosh darn it, it's infuriating!!
December 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
It really is infuriating! I tore pretty badly with Bryson, 2nd degree they said but it took 7 months for it to completely heal. It was not fun at all! That's why this time I will have a water birth no matter what. I'm going to be doing everything possible to keep myself well hydrated and flexible down there. If I saw my midwife or OB going for those scissors I swear I'd kick them in the face.

December 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a wonderful female OB with 1st born DS. Even though my labor was induced and full of interventions, she massaged during labor and I didn't even have any tearing. With DD my OB/General Family doc who delivered me came in and said "I'm just going to do a small episiotomy to help her out" and I screamed "OH NO YOU'RE NOT!!!" He was startled and looked at me and said "Huh?" I told him flat out there was no way in hell he was giving me one. I ended up with a very minor tear (says the doc) but she came out with really only 1 or 2 pushes, so you tell me how an episiotomy would've been justified?!?! MY OB with my first child told me episiotomies are never needed when a birth is handled properly and I've carried that with my through each pregnancy. She said to think about it like this..... take a piece of paper and make a tear in it. That's what could happen during delivery. Now, take a piece of paper and make a cut in it AND then tear where the cut left off. That's what happens with an episiotomy! Obviously you'll end up with up with a cut AND that cut will tear further than you would've on your own, if you even do! NO way in hell.

ETA: 1st DS was 9 lb 3 oz and DD was 7 lb 6 oz.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

December 4th, 2008, 01:47 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
When i was in graduate school, we spent a semester studying with a gynocologist. This is how he explained it to us. He took a piece of paper and held the paper up, one hand on either top corner and moved it back and forth. THEN he took a pair of scissors and made a tiny cut at the top of the paper and then moved his hands back and forth and the paper tore about halfway down with the same amount of force. He said "THIS is why episiotomies should NOT be done. It only makes things WORSE." I loved that man

December 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I'm not for episiotomies but I do know that there are times when it's necessary. I've never had one. My MW did say that there are times when I woman's perineum just won't tear and won't stretch enough. Usually in very athletic women. In those cases, they do have to do a small episiotomy and then the baby's head comes right out. There rate is about 4%. I was surprised by that but I guess it makes sense that sometimes these interventions are needed.

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
It's in my birth plan that I absolutely do not consent to one unless my baby's life is in immediate danger.

Come visit my blog!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search