Preparing for baby #2

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2008, 05:53 AM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I knew I was dead set on having a NCB w/ my 1st and did everything to prepare for that. I read so much and made myself very knowledgable on the topic. DH and I took Bradley Method classes and just surrounded ourself w/ everything that had to do w/ NCB.

I am also dead set on having a NCB w/ this baby, but feel less motivated (I guess that would be the word?) to prepare myself in the way that I did w/ my 1st since I've already been there done that, ya know? I am starting to re-read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and I pulled out my Bradley Method book to look through a little later in the pregnancy but don't plan on going through the class again.

I feel good b/c I know what to expect (somewhat... I know all births are different) but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm slacking too much?! I don't want my lack of absorbing myself in everything NCB to hinder me this time... if that makes sense.

So my question is, what did you do to prepare for your 1st NCB and did you do the same or less w/ consecutive NCBs?
December 4th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't really plan for a NCB with my first, although I kept an open mind to the idea. The closest I got was taking the birth class our hospital offered which had some information and techniques I could use.
This time, I planned on using the birth center, which I figured was a good first step. I also read The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, just to inform myself of some of the options out there. The birth center required that we take the birth class they offer and I'm glad that we did. They don't teach any techniques, thier theory is that every woman will know what to do in birth if they are left alone in a comfortable environment. Now that I'm in that mindset, I'm ready to just let this labor and birth happen naturally as it needs to.
Especially since you've had a NCB, I don't think you neccesarily have to do anything to really prepare this time. As long as you go into it with the right mindset, you'll do great!

December 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I was like you, planned a lot with the first but not much with the second. I did read a few books (birthing from within and a book on waterbirth) in preparation. But really I just visualized a lot and read a lot of encouraging positive birth stories. I didn't do any real "prep" and had a NCB with her just fine. Though I did question myself more during labor and may have been more apt to opt for an epi had I been in the hospital...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
I haven't really done much to prepare myself this time yet. I'm reading The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm. And since I may be switching over to a BC I will probably start doing a lot of research and prep for working with midwives and waterbirth. I'm going to be a lot more involved in the actual birthing part this time rather than just pushing and listening to what the medical staff tells me to do, that's for sure.

December 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
My 2nd baby was my 1st NCB. We did the classes and everything with that pregnancy. With #3 and now #4 we just re-read and practiced on our own. It's been 7 years since I took my Bradley class and we thought about retaking it this time. I really just didn't want to. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on so that I have many tools available. My birth assistant is a Bradley teacher so I feel like if my practicing isn't enough, she'll be there to help me through it. She will also be able to encourage my husband which he really needs.

My biggest hurdle is just knowing what is coming. It's a double edge sword. I know how to work through contractions and relax and what works for me. On the other hand, I know how much it can hurt and how hard it can be. I'm having the most trouble just accepting what's coming and not fearing it. I'm working through that now by focusing on my goals and visualizing with each contraction what my body is doing.

GL!!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 5th, 2008, 05:52 AM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Quote:
My biggest hurdle is just knowing what is coming. It's a double edge sword. I know how to work through contractions and relax and what works for me. On the other hand, I know how much it can hurt and how hard it can be. I'm having the most trouble just accepting what's coming and not fearing it. I'm working through that now by focusing on my goals and visualizing with each contraction what my body is doing.

GL!![/b]
This is what I'm feeling EXACTLY!!

With my first I didn't know what to expect. I didn't think it'd be easy but looking back, ignorance is bliss, LOL! Now I know what to expect, which is nice b/c it's more realistic and I know how to work through the contractions better. But it's also scary b/c I can remember what everything feels like and how hard and painful it was. Ahh!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search