First Appointment

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not really sure what the best thing to do is....I am pretty sure that DF's new insurance policy(starting Jan. 1) will cover a birth center, but I'm not positive. He needs to bring the stuff home so I can look at it before he signs up for next year. As of now they do not. My other problem is that we're going to be moving again in the next 2-3 months or so. It's only about 100 miles away, so not terrible, but it seems kind of silly to start with a birth center here just to move. Do you think it would be reasonable to make my first appointment or two with my OB here and then just switch to the birth center when we move? I don't want to wait to go until we move obviously, and it's not really all that convenient to drive 100 miles each way for the appointments.

What would you do?

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
December 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
if it were me, i would start at the birth center, then switch to a different birth center/midwife practice. I love my prenatal care at the birth center. My first appt was 90 minutes long. That is STANDARD!!!!!! You do not get that at most OBs.

December 4th, 2008, 05:05 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree- I would def. go to the birth center.

ps- where are you moving?

December 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
I would do research on where there are OB's/BC's in your area now and what is in the area that you are going to be moving to. Figure out where you want to go for the actual birth and see how far it is from where you are now. Depending on where it is then you can choose if you want to start out with a separate practitioner first and then transfer or if you want to start and finish in the same practice.

December 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I agree- I would def. go to the birth center.

ps- where are you moving?[/b]
The Tampa Bay area...Not sure exactly where yet. I'm in the process of looking at houses online.

It's about a 2+ hour drive from where we are now to where we will be moving. I guess I could just drive there for the prenatal visits and that way I don't have to worry about switching or going to an OB.

Life As We Know It
December 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
Quote:
if it were me, i would start at the birth center, then switch to a different birth center/midwife practice. I love my prenatal care at the birth center. My first appt was 90 minutes long. That is STANDARD!!!!!! You do not get that at most OBs.[/b]

MWs just offer you so much more than an OB ever could. I'd start off with caregivers that have the mindset that you want. Plus, they would be easier to get a copy of your chart from when it's time to switch. DR's offices are a nightmare to get information out of!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
My OB office (which I ditched later for a midwife) wouldn't even see me until I was ten weeks. So that gives you some time to think on it. personally I would avoid the OB route all together. You won't be happy with the care you get.
December 5th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's what I did, so I would say yes. I still lived only about 40 minutes from the birth center I wanted to go to, but we had a huge area where we could move for DH's new job. Some of the places we were looking at were too far away for me to use the birth center, so I would have done a home birth instead. So I started by seeing a local OB for my first few appointments, then switched to the birth center once we knew where we were moving to.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

December 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oooh! I'm so excited you're moving over this way!!! We'll have to get together down here!

December 5th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Once we move I wont be working so I'll have lots of time!

Life As We Know It

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search