My shortened birth plan

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Well, I've shortened it to a page and a half. This is the version I will take with me to the hospital for my nurse. I really don't know if there is anything else I can cut out. Let me know!

Dear Piedmont Midwives and CMC Pineville staff,
We have chosen you to attend the very special event of our child’s birth, and are very excited. Although we may be in the medical field, neither of us have any experience in labor or delivery. Please treat us like every other first time Mom and Dad.
Thank You! Nikki and Eric xxxxxx

Our birth plan in one sentence:
WE WANT A NATURAL CHILDBIRTH WITH AS FEW INTERVENTIONS AS POSSIBLE.

-We will be using the hypnobabies program for our birthing. Please avoid references to “pain”, “hurting”, or “hard work”. These words are disruptive to our hypnosis process. Do not offer drugs or ask what my pain level is.
PLEASE DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, OFFER ME PAIN MEDICATIONS OR AN EPIDURAL. I know they are available, and will ask for them if I feel I need them.
If while in transition I ask for drugs, simply tell me they are on backorder from the pharmacy. If I ask for an epidural, tell me the anesthesiologist is stuck in an emergency C-Section. Tell me my body knows this, and that every pressure wave is one closer to meeting my baby. Please encourage my natural birth in every way possible, even if I seem to have given up. I promise I will thank you later.

-I wish to move freely and walk around while in labor. I want to assume any position that is comfortable at that moment. I will not be NPO, and accept the risks associated with this.
-We decline continuous EFM. Intermittent checks are fine. Internal monitoring is ONLY to be used in a life threatening situation.

PUSHING & DELIVERY:
-It is our desire to let our birthing to proceed upon its natural course, without time restrictions. If an increase in oxytocin becomes needed, please allow us to try our natural methods before we’ll consent for Pitocin or AROM. Please consider Pitocin and AROM as a last resort, as we do.

-As long as the baby and I are healthy, please do not impose time limits on us for pushing. I am open to any position for pushing and birthing, except flat on my back.

-I refuse an episiotomy unless there is a true medical emergency. I accept the risk of tearing. To help prevent tearing, please consider using hot compresses, oil, perineal massage, and encouraging me to breathe properly for slower crowning. Please use a local anesthetic for any needed repairs.

-Please do not direct me in pushing unless I ask for assistance. For example, no counting to ten, or yelling “push” unless the baby is in distress. Encourage me to relax my face and “open my spincters”.
-I would like to touch my baby’s head as it crowns, and then help catch my baby and pull him onto my abdomen as he is born. My partner also wants to help catch. We’d like our baby to be put directly onto my abdomen following birth, and remain there, as long as he is healthy.

Please do not separate us until my baby has successfully breastfed on both breasts. We’d like an hour for bonding and breastfeeding. Please delay all essential routine procedures (Vit K/ eye ointment) until after this period.

-Please allow my partner to cut the umbilical cord, if this doesn’t interfere with banking the cord blood.We will be using Viacord to collect our baby’s cord blood.

-I prefer the placenta to be born spontaneously, without manual extraction. We don’t want traction placed on the placenta, and realize this my take a few extra minutes. We appreciate your patience.

OUR NEWBORN:
-We do NOT consent to Hepatitis B vaccine. We will be postponing this to a later time.
-We’d like to give our baby his first bath. Please assist us with the tub for this.
-Our little guy will be exclusively breastfed. We welcome assistance with this, and any advice you may have.
-Under NO circumstances is he to be given formula, OR sugar water without our EXPLICIT CONSENT. If it is thought to be medically necessary, please run it by us first.
-Please do not give him a pacifier.

Come visit my blog!
December 4th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it looks excellent and very well written. You seem to have covered it and like I said before, I KNOW you can do it.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
December 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
looks great!

Can I ask why you are doing the eye ointment?
December 5th, 2008, 08:29 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
looks great! I think this is much better.

December 5th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I agree that it looks great Nikki. Good job!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
We are doing eye ointment an hour after birth. I just don't feel strongly about refusing it.

Come visit my blog!
December 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Looks good! Nice job!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Looks good Nikki! It'll be here soon and you can do it!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search