QOTD

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
What do you think has most driven you to have a natural birth? Was there a specific book that you read? Had you always known you'd want a natural birth when you had children?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
With my first it was just "natural" to have a NCB. Never really considered anything different and didn't have a specific reason for doing it.

With my second I knew more about birth choices and medications and everything and felt it was the best choice for me and my baby. plus having done it before I was confident in my ability to do it.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 5th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Prior to our decision to have a baby, I didn't know a whole lot about all the different birthing methods. I mean, I knew what they were but not all that was involved like the different types of meds and the risks, etc. So in my search for information, I stumbled across JM and I got a lot of information from here plus I watched the video called "The Business of Being Born" and read some articles and books and they all helped me to come to my decision on wanting a natural birth. I believe that a drug free birth is the best birth for mom and baby providing that there are no complications.

My research was not necessarily directed to a particular method when I started out, I was just searching for the information that I needed to make an informed decision. And even though I hope and pray that I can have a successful natural birth, I'm also aware of the other options and their risks in the event that things don't go according to plan so I believe that I will still have some level of control and not just be forced to do what doctors tell me.

Plus, I think that waterbirths are really cool!!!

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
December 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I just think it is my personality. I am an acupuncturist and usually tend toward non-medical routes of treating most things and dealing with any thing that ails me. I do know when a doctor is necessary and when drugs/medications are necessary. I am not anti-medicine at all, BUT only when absolutely necessary. Pregnancy, just like menopause, is not a disease. It is natural and should be respected as a natural act of the body. Intervention should only be done when all other methods have been tried unsuccessfully. Unless I had some reason to believe i was high risk, i would never consider going anywhere but the birth center. I find it is the perfect mix, for me, of holistic care as well as trained medical providers (nurse practitioners, nurse midwives, etc), and close to the hospital. They have a 7 minute transfer time from birth center to ER.

December 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My interest was sparked by my fascination with waterbirths. As I looked into waterbirths I found out that duh, you don't get an epi! From there it jumpstarted my obsession with everything NCB. I've been completely enveloped by it to the point that I now know I want to become a birth/postpartum doula, childbirth educator and lactation consultant. Two years ago you couldn't have convinced me at all that this would be my life path. But the more I researched the more things just felt so natural and like common sense to me, whether it be NCB, cloth diapering, AP, babywearing, etc. I am continually amazed and in awe of how truly magical our bodies and the birth process are. As Cindy once told me, I can echo that the more I learn the more spiritual I become. And that's saying a lot for a tried and true agnostic borderline athiest! I never in a million years would have predicted I'd turn out as crunchy as I am. And I love it all! And most of you ladies play a huge role in that. So thanks!
December 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I never planned on having NCB's when I planned on having children. However, when I got pregnant w/ my first, I worked for a chiropractor and learned a TON about NCB from her. I started doing my own research and got hooked on the idea! Now I can't picture giving birth any other way.
December 5th, 2008, 10:38 AM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really started learning about it in college, when a friend of mine started on the path to becoming a midwife and told me all about what she was learning. The more I've read since then, the more convinced I am that being drugged out and strapped to a bed is just ASKING for trouble. Unfortunately, it isn't legal in my state to have a home birth or even an in-hospital midwife birth, so I'll have to stick with my OBGYN, but she's on board with doing as natural a birth as possible, so I'm feeling pretty positive about it. My biggest complaint is that there aren't any birthing centers around St. Louis, so I'm stuck in a normal hospital room. Not even sure I can get a birthing tub in there, which would really be ideal.
December 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm just so granola/crunchy- nothing else could do!

I've been organic when possible forever- I never take unnecessary meds- I pretty much have to be hysterical in pain before I'll even take an asprin! I also avoid antibiotics as much as possible. I've always seen a naturopath when possible, and have seen chiropractors since childhood. I've also had accupuncture many times.

I thought midwifery was fascinating, and from when I was a pre-teen I had read about midwifery. I wanted to be a midwife, but I didn't even know they still existed!

I first heard of a doula when I was 15, and my aunt had one- I thought that was so cool, and knew I wanted one, but hadn't really thought about becoming one myself.

Then when I got pregnant in fall 2006 I started looking into natural birth more and more, and fell in love! I was so sad to learn I was expecting twins, b/c I thought that HAD to mean a cesarean. As I read more and more I knew, even if I needed to travel, that I would birth them vaginally. Sadly I had a m/c.

But that set me down this path, and then when my husband and I first got pregnant I saw a midwife, and was hooked. Although I lost that baby, and the next I knew if I was able to have a baby I wanted to do it at home. I was also reading lots of books, and had started on my doula journey. My midwife encouraged me to do this, and helped me out, and now reffers me all the time! I had asked her to apprentice me, but she said no. I asked again months after, and she decided she would!!!! So- I started researching schools, and now I'm here.

I have a knack for this- it feels so right, and I love it with all my heart. Natural birth is the most beautiful expression of natural living, and I am hooked for life.

December 5th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I really loved reading these answers from you all. It's so inspiring just to hear how you were each inspired in so many ways.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
At first I was doing it to prove to my mother that if she could do it then so could I. She has always been so proud of the fact that she gave birth to both me and my sister w/o drugs, and always acted like she did something that she didn't think that I was capable of doing... it got annoying. So when I got pregnant with Nicholas I was bound set and determined to do it natural just to prove to her that I could do it! Then the more that I learned about NCB and it's benefits for baby the more I liked it for my own reasons and now I can't picture having a birth any other way!

December 5th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just researched and researched. Not necessarily for a NCB but after all the research I did that is what it turned into.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wanted the best for my baby and for me that was delivering naturally. My family and friends kept saying I wouldn't be able to do it, so part of it was proving them wrong as well. I did a ton of research and just really believed in a natural birth.

December 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just knew that other moms have had natural child birth and that just seemed right to me. Never really considered having drugs or even read about natural child birth. It just seemed right

December 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
well for me it was a bit different. With Nichole, I was induced (it was needed in my opinion) but I knew the risks of an epidural and I wanted one anyways. Even before the pain, I planned on getting one.
The reason I chose to go natural at a birthing center this time isbecause I hated thw hospital. I hated the IVs and and fetal monitors. I hated it beyond belief. I hated be stck in the hospital for two days and hey would come in and take my child from me. They wouls take her for 2-4 hours sometimes. They threatened me with formula if she didn't have a BM in a certain amount of time. So I wll gladly give up my epi to have my baby the way I want

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea what really inspired me to do it in the first place. I am not big on medical procedures or anything, and I think that's part of it. Ever since I thought of having children (about 5 years ago) I have been reading birth stories and watching videos. The more I read and see the more I feel even stronger about my decision to have a NCB. Even now that I am pregnant I can honestly say that there is no part of me that is scared about the labor or delivery and I don't even have my doubts that I can do it. I know that it is better for my baby and for many reasons it's better for me. I have learned so much from you ladies and look forward to learning so much more through this amazing journey!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
December 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Good question, and I don't really know the answer to it. I know that I don't want to be stuck in a bed. And I've never been one for following the crowd. And I trust my body, with the belief that pregnancy and childbirth are not a medical problem that need interventions.

Come visit my blog!
December 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just thought it was normal to have a natural birth, My mom had natural births and so I thought there is no reason why I can't do it naturaly. I had people tell me " if it gets too much for you just ask for the epi." but I just never found that it got "too much". With Madison I figured I did it with Ethan so I can do it again with her, and this time I felt the same, as well as doing a litte research this time.
December 6th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
reading up and asking people.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search