So... We've made a decision.

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So.. I was set to start Midwifery School in August 09. But for many reasons, although I want to become a midwfie still, I just think that program won't be good for me. I want to be a wonderful, knowledgeable midwife, and I just don't think that the program there will make me the type of midwife that I want to become.

There really isn't another program though that I could go to, so we've decided to wait. I hope soon that florida will accept a distance program, or that a new midwifery program will be started.

Untill then I'm going to concentrate on Doula work, and expanding what I do. I want to start doing Childbirth Education, and I want to take another Postpartum doula class. I also want to become a lactation counselor.

I'm going to do some studying for midwifery on my own, just learning everything I can.

And I'm going to keep on taking midwifery prerequsites at the community college, maybe even finish my associates degree

AND!!! We're going to really start TTC again! It would be easier to do midwifery school before having a child for sure, but we want a child so badly, and we've just decided not to wait anymore. Plus, I think most of what will make me a good midwife is life experience, and I just need not to push it so much. It will happen, just maybe not when I origionally wanted it to.

So- along with (hopefully) buying our home we have LOTS going on. I'm a little sad, a lot happy, and extremely excited to see where life takes us.

December 5th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
OMG Yay!!! Congrats Cheryl!! I'm so happy for you!!! Are you going to chart? I want to stalk you, lol! That will give me both you and Shauna now!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
sounds like lots of good things, and a good, solid plan

December 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Yay Cheryl!! I hope that you find a MW school that you will like! Yay for TTC!! I wish you all the luck in the world!!!

Cindy - You're so silly I love you!!

December 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
That's so exciting. I think it's great that you want to have a child before becoming a midwife. I think experiencing it for yourself will prove to be very valuable.

December 5th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
YAYAYAYAYAY!!! I'm so excited for you. I wanna know if you plan to chart too? I know it can be stressful but it's fun for the rest of us to watch lol (at least everyone ELSE'S charts are fun to watch, not mine).

I hope you find a good midwifery program and good luck with buying a house!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
THanks ladies.

I will chart, but not really serious charting... mostly just sorta charting. I will temp, b/c my cycles have been so long, that I'm not really sure I've been Oing... especially this cycle. If I am Oing then since it is so late I'm not sure those eggs have been very good. I'll be stoping charting after I'm 100% sure I've O'd.

December 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM
don't count yourself out if you ovulate late. Nola was conceived on CD 61!

I want to stop charting for a while but Ican't help myself... lol It's become a habit

December 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
congrats honey, how exciting!!!

December 5th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Quote:
don't count yourself out if you ovulate late. Nola was conceived on CD 61!

I want to stop charting for a while but Ican't help myself... lol It's become a habit[/b]
thanks! That is really reassuring.

I read too much sometimes, and I was reading that late ovulation (after CD 18-20) can lead to increased chances of M/c, and that is deathly scary to me....

December 5th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a plan!! Good luck with every thing and I hope you have a short TTC journey!

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
December 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cheryl, those all sound like great decisions for you and your soon-to-be budding family. I'm excited to watch all things come to you and hopefully share in that with you.
December 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
Congratulations! That's exciting news! I know putting off school can seem like a let down but having a baby is so exciting!

As for the life experience, I agree. In the MW practice that I'm using there are 5 MWs one hasn't had a baby and something is different about her. Not to say that you have to have had a baby to be a good MW just that she doesn't engender the same confidence that the others do. Having a baby will give you compassion for birthing mothers that you just can't know otherwise.

GL!!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Sounds like things are definitely changing for you! Glad that you are happy and woo hoo on TTC again!

December 5th, 2008, 09:47 AM
thanks ladies

part of my decision was that of the midwives I know- I most trust those who have more life experience... not necessarily about if they had a baby or not, but that they have more experience in everything- traveling, relationships, etc....

Quote:
Cheryl, those all sound like great decisions for you and your soon-to-be budding family. I'm excited to watch all things come to you and hopefully share in that with you.[/b]
I hope so too! I would be super excited to be pregnant together.

December 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Quote:
thanks ladies

part of my decision was that of the midwives I know- I most trust those who have more life experience... not necessarily about if they had a baby or not, but that they have more experience in everything- traveling, relationships, etc....

Quote:
Cheryl, those all sound like great decisions for you and your soon-to-be budding family. I'm excited to watch all things come to you and hopefully share in that with you.[/b]
I hope so too! I would be super excited to be pregnant together.
[/b]
can I join you two too?! lol

December 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
can I join you two too?! lol[/b]
Most certainly! This will be our first and you're the pro so we'll need you to walk us through every step.
December 5th, 2008, 10:36 AM
yes please!

I would love to be pregnant with BOTH of you- how fun would that be!?! Especially if we were in a DDC together!

December 5th, 2008, 10:37 AM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Sounds like you have a great plan and a lot going on! Good luck on your TTC journey!
December 5th, 2008, 12:04 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're going to have to talk! I want to become a midwife too and I've been looking at schools, except I'm pretty sure a CNM is the best fit for me. Are you wanting to go direct-entry? I found two distance programs out of South Carolina for direct-entry. Go to this link and then click on SC: here I was looking there because my husband and I really like the Charleston area, but we live in Florida now, too. I haven't checked any of the other states so there may be lots more for all I know. There are a few distance programs I have found where you can become a CNM, but you have to have at least an RN first.

Oh! And good luck TTC! I was wanting to get started on school right away, but I want another baby for several of the same reasons. I labored with dd but had to have an emergency c-section at the very end, so I would love, love, love to have a natural vaginal delivery first. I just feel like it will make me a better midwife. And at least then I'd have had two different birth experiences and be able to empathize with more women.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search