doula in the hospital??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey all.. I'm coming out of lurking mode
Not pregnant yet, but I just finished watching "The Business of Being Born" and it really inspired me. I've totally been pro natural childbirth and it's been my plan from the very beginning but the more I look into midwives in the area, there are zero that take my insurance. I cannot afford paying out of pocket.
That being said, I found some really good doulas in the area that charge $550, which can be split up and they also offer sliding scales. I think I will go this way! Has anyone had the presence of a doula in a hospital setting?? I am hoping this will up my chances of delivering totally naturally and hopefully having another voice when I might be in pain and more susceptible to accepting pressure from the medical field..

My biggest fear is that I will go into a hospital fully wanting a natural birth, and give into pressures from the doctors to do whatever they might see fit. I think a doula will help with that. Any opinions?

Also, I am fairly certain the hospital near me offers water birth- so as far as I am concerned at this point in time, that's the way I'll go.
December 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I will have a doula at the hospital w/ me for this birth. For my first, we lived in California and there was a birth center near by. So I just went there and saw a team of midwives. Now I'm living in NY and there are no birth centers close by, but one of the local hospitals has a semi-birth center off their labor and delivery floor for those wanting to have NCB's. Since this is the next best thing for me, that's what I'll be doing. The dr's office that I go to is all OB's and one midwife. The OB's are NCB friendly, but I hired a doula for extra support and b/c I don't fully trust OB's compared to midwives. So my experience this time will be drastically different from my first but I am doing everything in my power to achieve the same type of birth. I say go w/ a doula if that's what you can afford. I met the women who will be my doula and she made me feel so comfortable and so excited about my birth, I hope you can find the same!
December 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a doula. Having a doula in the hospital helps greatly with sticking to your birth plans. Doula clients generally have less epidurals, less cesareans and greater happiness with their birth outcomes. It also results in more successful bonding and breastfeeding.

I feel that the best way I can help my clients is to have a natural birth when that is their goal is to help them comfortably labor at home for as long as possible. If you're not in the hospital the interventions and doctors are also unavailable, and you pretty much have no choice but to do this naturally. Laboring in your own enviroment has the added benefit of speeding up you- you're comfortable, can move and eat freely and that helps progression.

so- make sure that when you pick a doula you find one that is comfortable helping you labor at home, and is experienced enough to know when you really do need to go to the hospital.

Good luck TTC, and I hope you get pregnant soon!

December 5th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
sorta off topic, I saw something on TV the other day where a hospital BANNED Doulas!!! I was so pissed

Anyway, i think it would be very helpful to have someone there to give extra input and opinions on decision making. And speak up for you when you are not in a position to do so yourself.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 6th, 2008, 08:21 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
sorta off topic, I saw something on TV the other day where a hospital BANNED Doulas!!! I was so pissed

Anyway, i think it would be very helpful to have someone there to give extra input and opinions on decision making. And speak up for you when you are not in a position to do so yourself.[/b]
ya- I think that hospital is in VA or GA... From my understanding they had a doula REALLY act out and prevent a cesarean, and the baby was permenantly harmed I believe....

Now the doula's just act like "friends"

December 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Yay for TTC and for coming out of lurk mode! I agree that a doula in a hospital will be the best option for you. It's nice that the local hospital has birthing tubs. That's a real benefit too. Cheryl33 (our other co-host here) had a doula in a hospital so I'm sure she could offer some help here too. I hope to see you posting here more often. Good luck TTC. I hope you get your BFP soon!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 7th, 2008, 02:27 PM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the input, ladies! You all are so awesome.
I am very happy since I found some affordable options! Now I just need to get pregnant
I'll definitely be coming out of lurk mode and stick around!

Thanks again!
December 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I'm having a doula in the hospital, so I'll let you know how it goes!

Come visit my blog!
December 8th, 2008, 08:49 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
sorry I am just responding to this now. I didn't get too much computer time this weekend.

I did have a doula in the hospital. It was a smaller, quieter, more NCB friendly hospital than the others in the area. I think there was some resentment about having her there, but I didn't care at all. She was a HUGE lifesaver. Our nurse was really slow, new at the hospital and not very careful with her words. I had horrible back spasms and our Doula was the one that knew what to do about them. She physically pushed on my back the whole time we were there and that helped a ton.

My husband is a doctor and was watching everything, so I think the combo of him and her both watching out for me was good. We had a clear birth plan but I know that doesn't always mean anything. I ended up with a completely intervention free birth! I don't know how things would have gone if my hubby was just "some guy" and we didn't have our Doula b/c I had to push for 3 hours. I think most caregivers would have been "helping" me along otherwise.

We also took our childbirth education classes from our Doula in her home. That was the best experience. Gave us a real chance to bond with her before the birth, and taught us that birth isn't always a huge emergency. My hubby started out suggesting I get a section and is now looking forward to a home birth with our next, whenever that is. The whole experience was so valuable, and inspired me to become a Doula and Childbirth Educator as well!

So I HIGHLY recommend it. The cost may seem tough in advance, but you just never know what will happen during a birth. You won't know your nurse, your birth attendant only shows up for the pushing, and having someone you know just there for YOU is such a wonderful gift you can give yourself.
December 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I just wanted to bump this to make sure she saw your reply Cheryl!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search