New... and new(ish) to the NCB idea!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM
June Cleaver Wannabe
Once upon a time, before I had my daughter, I had dreamed of a natural child birth. Specifically a water birth. That was my dream... until I got pregnant. I was 19, on Medicaid and didn't have the support or resources to look into birthing at a center. I had what I consider a 'traumatic' birth with my daughter - I thought I was in labor so I went to the hospital, only to be told that I wasn't in labor but they were going to induce anyways since my blood pressure was a little elevated. The hospital staff were incredibly rude and unsympathetic, treating me more like cattle than a human being. An example - my requests to go to the bathroom were repeatively denied - eventually I unhooked everything but the IV and walked to the bathroom myself. Boy did that cause a hissy fit! It took nearly 18 hours for my water to break; I was thirsty, hungry, exhausted (because every time I would fall asleep, a nurse would come wake me up!) and frustrated by that point - all those issues plus induction-related severe contractions made it to where I had to have an epidural or else I would have fainted from the stress/pain. Nothing went according to my original dream - not even after my daughter was born. My breastmilk had not come in the day of my daughter's birth so I had her sucking as often as she wanted to help it along. The next day it still had not come and the nurses were insisting that I formula-feed her. I told them that I wanted to breastfeed, they told me I was "starving" my child and that she NEEDED formula. I caved in and gave her formula to which she almost instantly threw up. So much for her NEEDING formula, eh? Next was the co-sleeping issue. It was "against hospital policy" for my child to co-sleep with me and every time a nurse would come in the room they would remind me of this. I ignored them.
So, to say that I'm very hesitant to have another hospital birth is an understatement.
I'm 29 weeks along and have gone back and forth with the idea of going to a birthing center. I was afraid that my husband would be unsupportive of the idea so I haven't mentioned it until now. Thankfully he said that the birthing 'thing' was up to me and that he'll support whatever I choose as long as it's what is best for the baby.
There is a birthing center close to where we live and I am going to call tomorrow to see if I can set up an appointment for a tour of the facility. They offer water birth which I am so excited about! Hopefully everything will go okay with the insurance coverage so I can start working with them instead of the place I've been going to this far, which is association with a hospital. Earlier today I was scared about giving birth again... now I'm so much more optimistic and happy! I do not have any friends or family in the area (except my husband and daughter, of course) so I'm going to use you mamas as my NCB support line!

Nice to meet all of you and I apologize for the VERY long introduction

December 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Welcome to the board! Have you visited the birth center yet? are they taking transfers? I hope you can get the birth you envision for yourself this time around. My friend was on medicaid for her first pregnancy and they treated her like crap. She is ironically a veyr brilliant health care provider, and unfortunately had some bum luck that landed her on public assistance, luckily she could get it. Most the time she knew more than the doctors. Her L&D were horrible as well. Next time she will be in a birth center as well. Best of luck!!!!!!!! Keep us posted.

December 6th, 2008, 06:12 PM
June Cleaver Wannabe
I have not visited them yet. I'm hoping to do that as soon as possible and get everything in order. The "birthing center idea" was a bit spur of the moment - I've really become fed up with the health provider(s) I have right now and I just know more issues will arise when I'm actually ready to have the baby. I am hoping that this place will be a bit of a Utopia for me
I've read some reviews on them (Brooklyn Birthing Center if you're curious) and all have been very good!
It seems like a wonderful place and the rooms even have a little kitchenette!
Dude, I am so going to make an omelet after giving birth

December 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like a great place, but I think most birth centers are. I love the one I've been using and the midwives there are awesome! The atmosphere overall is just much better than an OBs office or hospital. Luckily, a birth center is a good middle ground for anyone who is in doubt. I would have loved a home birth, but my DH was very iffy about the idea, so I decided on the birth center.
Hopefully you can get in to the birth center you've found, I'm sure you'll love it!

Expecting baby #4!

December 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello and Welcome!
December 7th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I hope you can tour it and transfer over there! Ours has a common full kitchen (there are two birthing suites) and i think it is great!!!! You can even bake your newborn a birthday cake

December 7th, 2008, 06:49 AM
June Cleaver Wannabe
Sooo I spoke to the birthing center today and I am scheduled to go to their orientation tomorrow night!!!
The doctor that I have now put me in the 'at risk/high risk' category because of my weight - 5'5" & 270ish.
I mentioned this to see if that would be a problem and I was told that we might not be able to birth at the center but definately could receive prenatal care. I have to discuss the specifics with the head midwife who is the woman giving the orientation. I am really hoping that they will take my previous pregnancy into consideration because I was "at risk" for all of these things when I was pregnant with my daughter and I had not one issue besides a little bit of elevated high blood pressure towards the end. Nothing to write home about! Every pregnancy is different but I haven't had any problems during this pregnancy so far and I'm 29 weeks already. I also have my first appointment scheduled with them for this Friday so if everything goes well with the orientation I will start getting my prenatal care there. Please cross your fingers, say a little prayer, send happy vibes, ANYTHING to help make it to where they will let me birth at this center instead of at a hospital!

December 7th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I haven't heard being overweight puts you at high risk unless you are HORRIBLY overweight. I was 240 and 5'5" when my DD was born and wasn't put into a high risk category or anything (birth center birth)

I really hope you get the birth you want this time around. Last time sounds awful

Even *if* you end up having to birth at a hospital you at least know more this time around. Remember you can refuse ANY procedure they want to do.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 7th, 2008, 09:32 AM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Welcome!!

I really hope the birth center works out for you and you can get the labor and delivery you have always dreamed of! : )
December 7th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I never heard of weight being a high risk factor. I hope since you already have a child, and everything went relatively well, then they will not deem you high risk. I believe that at most birth centers, if you get your prenatal care there, but deliver at the hospital, the midwife will come with you to the hospital and deliver your baby in the hopsital (except c section).
Good luck and keep us posted! I hope this all works out for you.

December 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM
June Cleaver Wannabe
My pregnancy with my daughter was terribly normal... I don't understand why they put me in the high risk category then and I don't understand why they are doing it now. I might be overweight but I'm pretty darn healthy I reckon so I think they are just making issues out of nothing. I've been diagnosed with nothing serious so how could I be high risk? I'm really going to discuss it with this midwife - I'm hoping that she is sensible!

December 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I think the weight thing is pretty typical of OBs. They obsess over every pound gained. I've gained about 40 with every pregnancy. I got to the point with the last one that I wouldn't let them weight me anymore. I figured if there was some other thing like, GD or PE that would be more relevant than I would consent. I just got so tired of the comments!

I do hope you get to go with the Birth Center. Being with midwives is such an awesome experience especially after you've had a hospital birth. You will appreciate the undivided attention during labor and the support to help you achieve a natural birth.

GL!!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
hi, welcome! I'm Cheryl, co-host here. Your first birth does sound pretty traumatic. Congrats to you for taking the steps to a more mommy and baby friendly birth this time around. Birthing centers are just wonderful. I really hope it works out for you!
December 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the board! I hope this birth will be a healing birth for you in many ways.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search