OT: Nicholas has the croup

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2008, 11:00 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
So Nicholas woke us up kind of with a barky/wheezing cough-breathing at 245 this morning. I got him back to sleep by nursing and meanwhile called the Dr answering service and talked to the on-call doctor. She told me that as long as he isn't panicking that he would be just fine and not to bring him into the hospital. So we laid down with him in our bed and dozed off and about 330 he got the barky cough going again but it went away really fast... nursed him a little bit more and he went back to sleep.

At about 530 the same thing happened but his cough was much worse and he could only take a couple of gulps nursing before having to detach and take breaths through his mouth. DH and I then decided that we were going to take him into the hospital despite what the doctor told us on the phone...

We got to the ER at about 6 and were in a room by 630. The Dr told us that Nicholas had the croup, which is luckily very common among young children but will make sleeping at night harder as that is when it flares up the most. They gave us a bottle of medication that he has to take three times a day for three days.

The only reason that I haven't totally freaked out about this is the fact that besides having a little cough and scratchy talking voice while awake is that he is his normal happy self running around and playing like normal.

Sorry that this was so long it's just been a very long morning and it was easier to explain it all out than thinking through what to put in and not.

Thanks for reading.

December 7th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Awww! Poor Nicholas! I hope he gets to feeling better soon. You must have been so worried. He is lucky to have such a good mommy!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 7th, 2008, 02:57 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Aw thanks Cindy!

He seems to be feeling okay, and he is acting like normal just has a little bit of a barky cough and scratchy voice. The doctor said that his airways around his voicebox are constricted a bit which is causing the cough and everything else. I'm glad that we decided to take him in though, I don't know if it would have gotten worse if we hadn't taken him in or not, and I would rather be safe than sorry.

December 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
aw man, what a bummer. This is such a yucky time of year, a total germ fest. I hope he recovers quickly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search