Tactics for a Successful Natural Birth

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Natural childbirth is HARD work- and it takes planning, effort and dedication. A lot of times a woman wants a natural childbirth and it doesn't happy. Sometimes it is because intervention is necessary for the safety of herself and her baby- but just as often it is becuase she caves in- sometimes on her own, other times because of lack of support or because of fear mongering care providers. Some moms have a lot of grief about their birth outcome when things don't go as planned, and others are less set in their birth plan and are ok with changes.

I've started doing this exercise with clients about how their plans jive with (or do not jive with) their birth goals, and it is a real eye opener. I think some of our NCB board mamas could also benefit from doing this. So- what are your answers?

How am I working towards achieving my goals for a natural childbirth?

What could I do to improve my chances of a successful natural birth?

How dedicated am I to a natural birth?

What things will get in the way of my plans for a natural birth?

How can I overcome those road blocks?

December 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
How am I working towards achieving my goals for a natural childbirth? I am practicing my hypnobirthing exercises again now. I can actually remember quite a bit of the relaxation exercises and I try to do them at night since I'm having a hard time falling asleep for some reason now.

What could I do to improve my chances of a successful natural birth? I have chosen to have care with midwives this time around as well as birth in a birth center rather than a hospital.

How dedicated am I to a natural birth? I am constantly educating myself on NCB. Everything I've learned has done nothing but make me realize just how this is the best decision I could make for our family.

What things will get in the way of my plans for a natural birth? If something unexpected and dangerous comes up that could potentially get in the way of a NCB but mostly I believe self doubt gets in the way more than anything. I have no doubt about myself this time.

How can I overcome those road blocks? I can do all I can to remain healthy during this pregnancy, including working out, eating right and being aware of my surroundings to prevent anything dangerous from coming up.

* I think this is a great exercise Cheryl! I would love it if you could tell me how my answers measure up and if you see anything I could work on.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 7th, 2008, 05:28 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
How am I working towards achieving my goals for a natural childbirth? I am practicing my hypnobirthing exercises again now. I can actually remember quite a bit of the relaxation exercises and I try to do them at night since I'm having a hard time falling asleep for some reason now.

What could I do to improve my chances of a successful natural birth? I have chosen to have care with midwives this time around as well as birth in a birth center rather than a hospital.

How dedicated am I to a natural birth? I am constantly educating myself on NCB. Everything I've learned has done nothing but make me realize just how this is the best decision I could make for our family.

What things will get in the way of my plans for a natural birth? If something unexpected and dangerous comes up that could potentially get in the way of a NCB but mostly I believe self doubt gets in the way more than anything. I have no doubt about myself this time.

How can I overcome those road blocks? I can do all I can to remain healthy during this pregnancy, including working out, eating right and being aware of my surroundings to prevent anything dangerous from coming up.

* I think this is a great exercise Cheryl! I would love it if you could tell me how my answers measure up and if you see anything I could work on.[/b]
it sounds like you're setting yourself up for a GREAT birth!

December 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oooh this is great! I like this!!!

How am I working towards achieving my goals for a natural childbirth? I'm going to be reading up on several of the different types of techniques (bradley, the varieties of hypno, etc) and I'll be practicing the relaxation techniques throughout my pregnancy...I'm actually working on mentally relaxing myself through other types of physical discomfort just to help myself practice them. Thankfully pregnancy offers lot's of discomfort to try it out on! lol.

What could I do to improve my chances of a successful natural birth? Well I know that keeping active and relaxed during labor helps speed things along the best, and I keep my risk of interventions down if I stay out of the hospital for as long as possible. Since I live so far away from my hospital I will be driving over there when I think I'm in early labor and am just going to walk around the mall that's next door until I'm confident I'm far enough along. My midwife encouraged this so I wouldn't get a c section for "failure to progress." lol.

How dedicated am I to a natural birth? I'm really dedicated...I think. I know that I can do this, and that preparing myself mentally to just say "No" to the million times the staf will offer me an epidural will be my hardest part. For me, also, it's not just this one baby...I want to have a large family and I won't really be able to do that if I let interventions start happening and get sucked into a c section (obviously this isn't the case for everyone, but my hospital is particuarly inclined to this)

What things will get in the way of my plans for a natural birth? Not having enough support in the delivery room...I think husband's are totally useless (for the most part) becuase they can't stand to see you in pain. I'm trying to get my mom to come...but if she won't I'll be trying to find someone else who can keep telling the epi question "no". I have been physically abused in the past and I hear that sometimes the trauma can come back during labor...I don't think this will be the case with me as the relationship has been restored, bitterness gone and the past totally forgiven but you never know...I might want to look into that more.

How can I overcome those road blocks? I'll be trying to get a third party in the delivery room and I guess looking and discussing how my past abuse might affect my delivery experiance.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search