Will you be hiring a doula?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
If you have decided to, please state why. And if you have decided not to, please state your reason for that too.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 8th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No, the birth center does have one doula on staff they said will attend the birth (I'm not sure if it's every birth or by request). I will have 2 of my 3 midwives at the birth though, so I feel they will be good support.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

December 8th, 2008, 06:46 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will not be hiring a doula. I don't think I'll need one, honestly. I've done this before, and I handled it fine physically and emotionally. Our hospital completely supports natural birth so I had no problem with that. I didn't have a doula with my first birth and I see no reason to have one this time. It was so special to me to have just DH and I there, doing it together, and bringing our daughter into the world.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

December 8th, 2008, 07:48 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll be hiring a doula for sure- I think it's so helpful, and I want to have all the support I can get. Also- even thought I'm a doula myself I've heard from other doulas that you really cannot doula yourself, and my hubby I feel will also need the support.

December 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Im not pregnant but Im going to answer anyway. I will be hiring a doula next time. Mostly because Im afraid that IF I had to go to a hospital that the staff would not listen to me and my requests. My Dh hates confrontation at all costs so Im not sure that he would get in there and fight for me and our baby. I would want a doula there because I think it would make the nurses/doctors listen more. That may not be the case but I feel it would help. And if I dont go to the hospital then I will just have that much more support in the birthing center.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really hope to have a friend who briefly became a doula but is now a yoga teacher but has been a doula for friends. She's a friend I have made through my husband so although he was initially hesitant about doula (taking over my job kind of thinking), because he loves Valmarie so much he's totally on board if she would do it. And her aura is so calm and loving, I know she would be a great asset to both Stef and me.
December 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Regular
Yes, I want to hire a doula. So far I haven't been having much luck in finding one that would be willing to travel out to me (I'm in a small town in the middle of cornfields). But I'm still looking and hopefully I'll be able to find one.

I made the decision to go ahead with the a doula after getting some semi-negative feedback from my OB concerning a first-time mom's ability to go through with NCB and after talking to my DH about what it might be like going through with a NCB, he's the type who wouldn't like to see me in pain so he initally got a little freaked out about it. DH can use the guidance for what he's supposed to be doing and I can use all of the support I can get. :-)
December 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I get pregnant, I will most definitely be hiring a doula. My DH (as great as he is!) will probably not be of much help when trying to hold firm with our NCB. He likes the idea, but I know him well enough to know that it's hard for him speak up to professionals, or to see me hurting.
I also think the experience of a doula will help me a lot with my first birth, and I will feel more confident having someone experienced there with me.
December 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep. I had one with DD and she was such a tremendous support for DH. My labor was long and I labored standing up, when I would have a contraction I would literally go limp (try to relax completely) and DH would be supporting my whole weight. He eventually needed a break and some caffine and our doula was there to take over. She also kept heat packs on my back, talked to the nurses, etc. She also ran interference with our families, which was probably the best thing of all. That way, after DD was born DH and I got plenty of exclusive time with her and our doula made sure our families knew everyone was healthy etc. I need to be able to focus so much that I want to know that someone is making sure DH is doing okay too, I don't want to have to worry about him. Our hospital staff was wonderful so no one had to "stand up to them" but it is also nice to know that I have another person advocating for me should I need it next time.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
December 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
no, no need to in my opinion as my midwife is with you and does not leave you while you are laboring. If she has to leave for ANY reason (another laboring mother) then her assistant, a male CNM will step in.
If the unforseen happens and I have to go to the hospital, the midwife goes with as your doula

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
We will not be hiring a doula either. I think they are wonderful and would actually like to have one just for the experience of it but DH says he wants it to just be us this time since last time our room was kind of crowded. He was a great support anyway.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I really don't know! We will be at home next time. As I have mentioned a thousand times, our Doula was AMAZING at Cadie's birth, but we care to avoid the whole hospital thing completely next time. I guess it will depend on the midwife we use, if she has an assistant, what she thinks, etc.
December 9th, 2008, 06:28 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I am hiring a doula this time (didn't w/ my first) since I will be laboring in a hospital and my husband will be deployed. I want the extra support since I'll be in a different environment (not birth center) and since my husband (who was the best coach EVER w/ my first!!) won't be there.
December 9th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
no. Partly because I don't feel I need one, having gone through it twice before. And partly because we are planning a homebirth that will be most likely an out-of-pocket expense, so we probably won't be able to afford one, unless it's free.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, my midwife will not leave the room and is very NCB friendly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search