Meeting with my doula this morning

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2008, 05:01 AM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I have an appt this morning with my doula for a massage. She includes one free massage in her doula fee, to get each client comfortable with having her hands all over ya! I'm quite excited b/c this body needs a good massage right now. Afterwards we're gonna sit down and go over my birth plan, and then what will happen once my birthing starts. I'm excited, because it's just one more thing I'll have done to be ready for this little guy. Plus, I'm excited just to get to know her better. We're gonna review any questions I have about hypnobabies, since she's also my instructor. Well kinda; we did home study but she does teach the classes too. (more $$). I need to sit down and make a list of what exactly I want her to be responsible for when I'm in labor. All the thoughts are jumbled around in my head, that's why I love lists.

One of my best friends called me last night to tell me about a girl in her book club. Apparently, the lady had a C/S with her first, then a completely natural hypnobirthing for her second baby. She said she loved using the hypnosis, and would use it again for any subsequent children. Another successful HB to add to my list of encouragement!

Update:
I LOVE my doula Annette. She is so sweet and personable, someone I could be friends with outside of this crazy experience of pregnancy and childbirth. We first sat down and chatted for 30 minutes, starting with her reading my birth plan. She liked it, and gave me some suggestions on how to bullet it even further for the nurses and midwife on call when I go in for the real deal. She also needed to know stuff like how adamant I am about not having an epidural and drugs. She doesn't want to tell me "NO!" so often or adamantly (if I'm asking), and overstep the boundary of not respecting my wishes. But she also needs to know if I mean it when I give up and ask for drugs, or if that is my way of asking her to help with a position change, or massage, or a deepening exercise with hypnobabies. I essentially told her that I want her to talk me out of an epidural at all costs. I love how she is just all about me, and what I want and need. I have to start emailing or calling her each week, starting with next weeks appt. She likes to know how things are changing and progressing, and just how I'm feeling in general. That's cool, I just thought I'd call once my birthing time started. She told me when to call her when my birthing starts, and at what point in it she'll come to our house. We both agreed that her coming at the first hint of a contraction isn't the best idea with this being my first baby. I don't want her here for 3 days with early labor pressure waves. Once we are sure it's for real, she'll come on over. Me, her, and my midwives all agree that staying here at home is the best plan of all, until I'm regular at 3 mins apart. I have a doppler to check little mans FHT to assure myself it's safe to stay here. Annette said that my face will tell her more than my pressure waves when it comes to deciding when to head to the hospital. That's what my DH and I need, because we really just don't have a clue. My massage was awesome, and she reminded me of some stuff I've forgotten in my hospital bag. I'm packing that stuff tonight!

Come visit my blog!
December 9th, 2008, 05:22 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is awesome! I've never heard of a doula doing that- but it makes sense, lotf are also prenatal massage therapists.

Have a fun appt!

December 9th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
How exciting Nikki! I can't wait to hear how it goes. You deserve a good massage! That's great about the lady who had the NCB about a section. Good for her. It's always so nice to hear stories like that. They are so encouraging!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 9th, 2008, 05:59 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ahhh a massage!!! How nice! Enjoy that and good luck with everything else you discuss with your doula today.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

December 9th, 2008, 06:08 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Enjoy it Momma! I hope your meeting goes well and sets your mind at ease.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

December 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I hope it goes well! A massage sounds great! I got them a lot when I was preggo because with my fibromyalgia my body could have really locked up on me. She really kept me loose and happy! It cost a fortune though.
December 9th, 2008, 05:33 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Sounds like she is an awesome doula and will be a great asset to you when you're in labor!
December 9th, 2008, 07:09 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
all right!
December 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
That's so wonderful Nikki! It sounds like you have an amazing doula! I'm so excited for you!!! You really are going to achieve this natural birth and I simply cannot wait to read the birth story!!! YAYYYY!!!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She's sounds awesome! YAY!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search