QOTD

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
What is the worst/best advice someone has given you with regard to pregnancy/childbirth?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 10th, 2008, 03:50 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
"don't go natural"

i have not gotten a lot of advice yet, cause we just started telling people

December 10th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Everything my mom says, lol She seems to think that my pregnancies and birth will either mimic hers or she has some theory on how things will go (how long my labor will be, if my water will break, how difficult the labor will be...) Honestly, if I hadn't listened to her the first time, I may have never asked for the epidural and had a completely natural birth. She planted the idea in my mind that I would have a horribly long labor because she did with each of us.

By the way, it's good to see that I'm not the only early riser on the east coast

Expecting baby #4!

December 10th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Oh girl, you are definitely not the only early riser. Bryson is usually up by 5:30 so I'm normally awake by then too. It was nice today though because he actually slept until 6:00. I was so excited!

I hear you both though on what people are telling you. I always had people telling me to "just take the epidural" or to not be disappointed in myself when I took it because I'd never been through it before so I don't know how I'll react or what I'm in for. I know people usually mean well but I don't think they realize what they are really doing when they plant those seeds of doubt in women who actually want to believe in their bodies.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 10th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I know people usually mean well but I don't think they realize what they are really doing when they plant those seeds of doubt in women who actually want to believe in their bodies.[/b]
ITA! I think many women want to have a natural birth by instinct, but they let other people's opinions influence thier decision. We've completely lost faith in the natural process of things. Every birth has to have a doctor intervene with it, or you just can't have the same outcome of a healthy mom and baby.

Expecting baby #4!

December 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Worst - I had to give birth naturally when I had my 3 kids and if I had to do it now I'd say give me the drugs, everything, just drug me up. (And this is pretty much word for word as I can remember it)

Best - Before you get hooked on any particular method, do your research so you know all your options and then make the most informed decision that's best for you and your baby.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
December 10th, 2008, 08:18 AM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Worst - Probably just all the negativity that people give you when you tell them you are having a NCB. EVERYONE wants to talk you out of it and make you think that you can't do it. I've even had people that try to make me think I'm being negligent for having a NCB!!

Best - Unfortunately, I haven't received any good advice that stands out. Hmm... maybe TRUST BIRTH?! : )
December 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Worst: Get the epidural as soon as you hit 3cm.

Best: Trust birth!
December 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Best: Listen to and trust your body.

Worst: Just take the drugs, labor is so painful that you won't want to feel it anyway. (when in truth all the epi does is make it so that you don't feel the pain right then, you feel it later after the fact instead)

December 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the worst pregnancy advice I've heard is that an obese woman I know was told (by her righ risk MD) to loose weight while pregnant!

The same woman was offered a to have her tubes tied and to get a tummy tuck DURRIng her sergical birth!

December 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I'm drawing a blank on the worst? I really don't think I got any bad advice. Well except for my hubby at first when he told me to get an elective section to avoid incontinence later on in life!

best- my Doula really taught me to trust birth. She didn't say it in that many words though.

We sure have taken that on as a mantra, thanks Shauna!!
December 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Worst: Just take the drugs, any woman who delivers naturally should be committed.

Best: Don't let one thing going wrong/not your way keep you from having the birth that you want. (She 100% natural birth despite being induced)

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search