Posterior position and natural birthing

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm only 32+ weeks and I'm sure I still have plenty time for my little one to turn but at my last u/s the baby was in posterior position (head down and facing my stomach). I know that this position is generally associated with longer deliveries and back labour. My OBGYN said that my baby's currently small so he has pretty much left me in the hands of the ladies at the birthing centre unless something should happen.

Does anyone have any experiences they can share just in case this little one does not turn? I've been doing some research on some pelvic exercises but I guess I'm looking for a few personal experiences, good or bad.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
December 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm about to, so hopefully in a few days I can give you my story! My little girl has been posterior since about 30 weeks, when she moved head down. I've tried the suggestions and she hasn't turned, and at this point, I don't see it happening before labor begins.
I've talked about it with my midwives and they have said that there is no way to know what to expect. One had 3 posterior babies, 2 gave her back labor, and the other one she didn't even know was posterior until she turned to come out. She said that is common, and some moms never experience back labor or know they have a posterior baby. They also said that most posterior babies will turn in labor and not actually come out that way. I'm a little nervous not knowing what to expect, but just like labor, I have no control over the situation, so I'm trying not to get worked up about it.

December 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
my friend had back labor. She was in a birthing center and they gave her saline shots in the base of her spine, that really helped for a while, plus being in warm water. The shot does wear off after a while. It was challenging for her, but she did it!

I didn't have actual back labor, but I had terrible spasms in my lower back. My Doula put constant pressure on it during contractions. I requested saline shots as well, but that never happened, stupid nurse.

There are things you can do ahead of time to try to get baby to turn, as you know. If things are still the same by the end, make sure they will have the saline shots available. That will go a long way in helping you get through it without drugs. And if you can get into water, that will help so much. Tennis balls or something else rolled over your lower back will help too.
December 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Thank you all so much. I'll remember to ask my midwife about the saline shots.

Andrea, I want to wish you all thebest with your delivery.

Cheryl, I am planning to birth in water. I haven't had any kind of back problems thus far so I'm hoping this continues.

December 10th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
both my previouse kids were posterior, I had completly natural births with them. I don't have anything to compare with but I didn't find that it was unbareable, there was alot of back pain but I find I handle back pain better than stomach cramps. I did have a long labor with Ethan but with Madison it was pretty quick.

This bub is posterior too, my midwife has me get on all fours and rock my hips from side to side for 10 mins at least 2 times day. I think the sooner you start doing it the better, I have been doing it since 36 weeks (3 weeks now) and so far no change, so maybe if you start at more like 34 weeks it will happen for you. Also he suggested getting in a pool and kicking around with a kick board.

Good luck with it.

December 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm pretty glad to hear these success stories. I read so much that the baby may not engage because of the position but my midwife suggested that this occurs mainly with larger babies and since mine is small, it, hopefully, should not be a problem.

At this point I'm hoping that positive thinking and bargaining with the little one will help her to turn. LOL!! But I have started doing some pelvic exercises to see if they will bring about change. I'm just hoping that they aren't counter productive, like she may be willing to turn on her own but what I'm doing is preventing her from doing it.

Sometimes I just think that maybe I shouldn't do anything and just let nature take it's course.

*sigh* Decisions, decisions!! *sigh*

December 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel the same way about doing the turning exercises, I wonder if they would do more harm than good. I have already had two posterior bubs and not realy had much trouble so I don't know if doing these exercises is just pointless, bub hasn't turned from them yet. Anyway now that I am 39 weeks I have decided not to do them anymore and just rest up and relax, if I go into labor with a posterior bub its not gonna be to different to the other two times anyway.
December 11th, 2008, 04:44 AM
All the best with your delivery.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search