Why is this so difficult?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So me and my sister are both pregnant and due in May...which is great to have someone else going through the same things...but I'm also realizing that the difficulties in having NCB are pretty much all across the board. Rachel's been calling all the hospitals in her area to figure out the best one to deliver in...unfortunatly she lives in a more rural area and the only hospital with a level 2 nursery is also the hospital that refuses to give out c section and vbac rates....and told her "you will have an epidural unless for some reason your stubborn". Which...I mean, that's my hospital's attitutde as well...so I guess neither of us are alone. I had to go find my hospital's c section rates on the virginia department of health statistics website...although my midwife did tell me them when I asked later on.

Anyways...I just don't understand why there is such a strong vehemance against supporting women who want to do NCB? Why do doctors have to roll their eyes when you say that's what you want to do...like you don't know any better and that's why you are saying that. I don't think either me or Rachel anticipated this and it's really frustrating. You would think that it would be the opposite since it seems like there are more risks for a medicated birth.

I hope that this changes by the time my daughter (or daughter in law) is ready to give birth...I really want NCB to be considered a valid option by the healthcare field. I mean I know midwives and some OB's will support you in it, but it's pretty obvious that it's a niche anymore.
December 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I mean the really simple way to look at is money. Hospitals and OB's want to do what makes and saves them money. C-sections, epidurals, and all the other medical interventions they give every single woman that walks through their doors make them money. When most women get a c-section they feel like they HAD to have one and that their OB saved their or their baby's life. In some situations they definitely did and I'm not taking that away from them but in a lot of those situations they were completely unnecessary and had they never been given pitocin, EFM and tied to a bed they would have progressed just fine on their own.

It just disgusts me. Sorry for the rant. I guess I'm saying I feel your frustration. I'm so sorry you are both having to deal with this. *HUGS*

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 10th, 2008, 10:51 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Wow that is horrible

December 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Cindy. I think everyone now views birth as being in a hospital with an epidural in your back, because that is how it's done at least 90% of the time. It's rare for people to view birth as just a natural process taking place and letting it be that way.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

December 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Regular
I hear your frustrations as I'm going through the same thing. I also live in a rural area and have decided the best way for me to handle things is to get a doula to come into the labor and delivery room with me.

I've also been reading "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer and that has given me a lot more perspective on how hospitals and OBs treat the whole labor and delivery process in hospitals.
December 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
I agree with Cindy. I think everyone now views birth as being in a hospital with an epidural in your back, because that is how it's done at least 90% of the time. It's rare for people to view birth as just a natural process taking place and letting it be that way.[/b]
97% of women in the US was the last stat i heard

December 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with Cindy. I think everyone now views birth as being in a hospital with an epidural in your back, because that is how it's done at least 90% of the time. It's rare for people to view birth as just a natural process taking place and letting it be that way.[/b]
97% of women in the US was the last stat i heard
[/b]
That's ridiculous.... I wonder if that would be the real number if half those women actually knew what they were doing to their bodies and potentially doing to their children?

December 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it can't be THAT high... b/c the last stats I've heard are that over 5% of moms now are giving birth Out of the hospital- in BCs or at home. Add to that the precipitous births (couldn't get to the hospital in time or had no time for an epidural), and the women who don't have epis in the hospital, or the women who have other narcotics (nubain/demerol, etc). I would think 85-90% would be more accurate.

It is still terribly high though, and it stinks!

December 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Remind me, can you get to a birthing center?

December 11th, 2008, 06:37 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my sister can't. I'm sure I could...as there is a lot of options in the D.C. area...but I'm choosing not to since I've found a midwife that I really feel comfortable with and because my husband would feel more comfortable with me having our first in a hospital environment. My sister might end up doing a home birth since one of her sister's in law is a midwife who would assist her.
December 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
well, unfortunately, that's what you get in a hospital. They're used to doing things their way and bullying people into what they want.

Birthing centers are very safe, maybe you can take him for a tour to one? They always have close access to a hospital and emergency plans. Just a thought. otherwise, think about hiring a Doula.
December 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Error_kitten's Avatar Regular
I encountered this same problem.
That is why I have chosen to do a homebirth instead.
I too am due in May and I was fortunate enough to find a midwife who I trust and am very comfortable with.
I can't imagine doing it any other way now.
December 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Plus they dont want to have to listen to a screaming woman. They view NCB mommas as "needy". Moving around, wanting to eat, no IV, no EFM... yadda yadda yadda. Its much easier to throw them in the bed, insert epidural and turn on the TV until the EFM says PUSH.... Soooo sad.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I agree w/ what all the other women have said. It all comes down to money and them wanting patients that shut up and do things their way. They won't want you coming in there having these wacky ideas of your own... like NCB. Every patient is on a timeline and check list, and they like it that way so they don't want you coming in there messing up their flow.

I really hope you can find a happy medium to achieve the birth that you're hoping for!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search