Overdue

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So I know I'm dwelling on this, but let's face it, what else do I have to do?
I'm looking for information or opinions on being overdue from a natural standpoint. Of course I've put a lot of thought into this, because I'm anxious to have my baby and if I have no control over the situation, I guess the next best thing is to analyze it to death
We all know that due dates can be very inaccurate. Most are based off of LMP, but now, I see so many doctors changing them long after the 1st and even 2nd trimester of pregnancy, despite LMP or early ultrasounds. This due date is based off of when I ovulated, since we were charting, so by LMP I would have been due the 3rd, but I know the 8th is much more accurate. Unfortunately, I don't think there are statistics based off of ovulation due dates, because it's not common. Abigial was born on her due date (based off of ovulation again) and 5 days late by LMP. I always keep this in mind with due dates, because it really put it into perspective for me, especially when a woman goes a few days or a week past her due date.
I can't help but to feel almost inadequate right now. Why isn't my body doing what it is suppose to? I look at all of these other women (not including scheduled inductions and c-sections) and they are going into labor on thier own at 39-40 weeks. I think, chances are, their due date is off by a few days. So why haven't I gone into labor yet? Why are thier bodies or babies ready and not mine?
I'm just trying so hard to relax and put it all into perspective, especially from a natural standpoint. It's just fustrating to not be able to enjoy the pregnancy anymore and yet not have it over with either. I thought I did so well keeping myself occupied and not getting myself too anxious about it all until about a week ago, then it's all set in. Knowing that it could be anytime, but not know when.
So help me out here, any stories of your own about going overdue or links you can share with me with information?

Expecting baby #4!

December 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I feel your pain through the computer, I'm sorry honey. I have nothing to offer, but why don't you make that eggplant parm? worth a shot and it's yummy anyway.

link
December 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I don't have much to offer either other than hugs and my own experience. When I was pregnant with Bryson and had my 36 week check-up the OB checked me because I told her I'd been having menstrual like cramps. She informed me I was 1-2 cm dilated and 70% effaced and assured me there was no way I'd make it to 40 weeks. So we got all excited and did everything we could to bring on labor. I walked over 2 miles a day, ate the spiciest food you could imagine (and I hate spicy food!) took EPO, had sex very often and lord knows what else. Only to sit back and watch my EDD come and go. When I was 41 weeks 1 day I woke up to pee and had a gush of water. I went back to bed not convinced and when I got up an hour later it happened again. So off we went to the hospital and I ended up on pitocin. Had I just waited it out a bit longer I'm positive my body would have taken over on it's own so I'm a little disappointed in my lack of patience.

I know that doesn't really mean a whole lot to you but I just wanted to let you know that we are here for you. I know it's hard to keep waiting but either way you know that there is very limited amount of time left that you will be pregnant. It may not happen today or tomorrow but it WILL happen. I just think your LO loves you so much it doesn't want to come out.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope baby comes soon.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
December 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any personal stories...but I'm the oldest of seven so I just talk a lot about my mom's experiances...lol. Anyways, she was always 2 weeks overdue pretty much on the dot with every single kid. With the last one she did get induced (her first induction) and she said it was the most miserable labor she ever had. lol. I think it's normal to be frustrated like you are now...hopefully you can get things going in the next couple of days!
December 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you're little one just loves it too much in there! Hope you get some movement soon as I'm sure you are anxious to meet your LO in person. Remember that you never know how quickly things can change. Some women are in the prep phase for weeks even months while others go from 0 to 60 in one day.

Come on baby! We're all excited to see pictures of you and hear your wonderful NCB birth story.
December 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
You should try some acupuncture, almost all of my patients who have come in for labor induction have gone into labor within 24 hours of the treatment. Find someone who has experience with this, the treatment should include "electroacupuncture" and a front and back treatment. Good luck!!!

December 10th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope bub comes soon Andrea, I was 5 days overdue with Maddy and i know how bad I felt, I tried walking, sex, EPO, none of it helped. My midwife told me that the best thing to do is try and relax as much as posible, if you are stressed you are less likley to go into labor.
December 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
To compare to the last pregnancy, I have been much more relaxed about it.
With Abigail, once I hit that magical 37 week point and was told "You are dilated and effaced" I had that idea that she was ready to come out NOW. I think a lot of first time moms are like that though, you hear the words "full term" and assume that the baby is coming then. So I tried everything, I started EPO, we had sex every few days, walking, sitting on my exercise ball and I even tried castor oil. Nothing worked, and that led me to realize that every baby comes on thier own time (although we did DTD and I went into labor an hour later, I can't be sure that definitely sparked my labor, because it hasn't this time!)
With this pregnancy, I vowed to make the end more enjoyable. I let the 37 week mark come and go and not blink and eye, knowing I wouldn't realistically have this baby before even 39 weeks. I started taking EPO and drinking RRL tea, knowing neither would put me into labor, but help prepare my body. Other than that, I haven't done anything drastic to get labor going, besides DTD. I feel it doesn't hurt, since sperm contains prostaglandins, which can help prep the cervix, even if it doesn't put me into labor. I've been much more active this time, but more because I'm more active now than I was before DD was born. I don't truely believe that walking will put me into labor, so I'm not going to over do myself with it. I enjoy being more relaxed about it, instead of thinking every little walk or thing I try may put me into labor and being on edge about it. I've done my best to just relax and not stress about it, because I have no control over it anyway. I just hate being on edge a little bit knowing that it could happen anytime and I have no idea when that is. (I even learned from last time and have taken a nap everyday in case I have another night labor) I've had all the positive signs of losing my plug for weeks now, lots of BH's, and other little things, but I know that when it happens, it will happen very spontaneously and all of the prep my body has been doing for weeks now will come in handy!
I'll be honest, induction would be a little tempting right now, but I'm thankful that I have midwives and will let it happen naturally instead of the risk of forcing induction for being overdue. I think it's hard to lose sight of what is important at this point of pregnancy, so I'm glad I have others to keep me in check.

Expecting baby #4!

December 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
stop fixating on a number! 40 weeks is just an average, just like 28days (menstural cycle) is the average. That means some are shorter, some are longer. And- the 40 week stat is OLD, and in many proffessional opinions- outdated.

Whenever your baby is born will be exactly on time. Trust your body, your baby and your birth.

December 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yes, remember the mantra! TRUST BIRTH!!
December 10th, 2008, 04:57 PM
littlebabydolly
You know what is silly? I look at you and go, oh 40+2 your still FINE an I'm only TWO DAYS ahead of you feeling like I have more to moan and groan about. It's so silly!

I know it's all a mind set. Every day seems worst than the last as the numbers tick by. I google words like "effaced cervix" and there is just so many over medicalized info pages and women who believe to hard that their bodies won't birth a baby because of their effacement, dilation, etc., at the time. I'm pretty sure in our DDC alone that it's like 10-20% of mothers who have gone into spontaneous labor, the rest have been induced or had c-sections. It's hard to be around others that really see so many flaws in the female body and believe it. Those thoughts end up slipping into our minds.

My comfort? 50 years ago NO ONE knew these things. Babies were born fine and dandy. My MIL, mom and DH's grandmother said all their babies came "late". Who's to say what the statistics are off of these days with all the interventions?

Lets remind ourselves too how there are articles and research starting out there how the rise in pictocin use has correlated with autism. .. . . not that I have that option with a home birth midwife, but you might if you are birth center birthing?

Again, the only thing that is REALLY getting me extra hormonal about it all is the calls "is the baby here yet".

I know our bodies seem like one big mystery to us now.... but think how clockwork things like our periods were. Our bodies knew what to do then, why not now!? Think of how stress did make a difference in other experiences in life. Stress often makes me physically ill. I'd think you' be more comforted that baby will come since you've had one already. Me, I feel like somehow I can convince myself babies NEVER DO come because he is just this little mystery in there I've never seen! I've barely been around babies myself too.

I'm trying to hope that all my induction attempts are at least a bit "fun" so it's not like hard work. (sex, nipple stimulation, beer, spicy food) I'm surely trying HARD though these days two days.
December 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know, it's so silly and I really wish they never put dates on pregnancy. I was thinking about it tonight and it actually makes it harder to break it into weeks and have a "due date". I know there needs to be something in place or women would never know when to expect a baby to come, but then we can't help but to fixate on that date. I think it would actually be easier for US not to fixate on it, if everyone else wasn't also. I really want to distance myself from everyone until then, because just talking about it and being reminded that I haven't had the baby yet, makes it worse.
I just wish there were more true statistics out there. You're right, there have been so few actual spontaneous labors in our DDC, there's no way to even get a true comparison. I would love to see when women REALLY go into labor, just to give me some hope that I won't be pregnant another 2 weeks. It's hard being a mom for the first time, and not knowing when you will go into labor. Having gone into labor with Abigail when I did though, I was sure that this baby would be born within a few days of that, because that seems to be a normal pattern. I feel like my body is just failing me this time or that my labor with her was just a fluke. It's all so fustrating!

Expecting baby #4!

December 10th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you're frustrated and that your due date has come and gone. Hopefully you wont be pregnant much longer! I'm sending lots of labor vibes your way! Try to relax and it will happen before you know it!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
December 10th, 2008, 09:34 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the only stat I know is that first timers average 41w1d for spontanious labor.

December 11th, 2008, 01:50 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She will come, just make the most of the last little bit of rest you can get before you have two children.
With Phelix I was a day early and had a 12 hour birth (first contraction to having him). With Noah I was 9 days late and his birth was a lot faster. I hope you have your baby soon, and its a quick labour/birth. Just remember you will be holding her on christmas day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search