Do you think women really want to know?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
When it comes to the dangers of the interventions that hospitals and OB's often put their patients in, do you think that most women really want to know the facts? Sometimes I feel like some women would rather just take the "easy" way out and not educate themselves at all. What do you ladies think? Obviously this doesn't apply to all women and I do think quite a few would change their views and practices if they did know. I'm just curious what you think.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 11th, 2008, 06:16 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sometimes they don't. Like when you see wemon with shirts on that say can I have my epidural now?, or blinkies that say heck yes I'm getting an epi!

A lot of women (experienced moms) don't know anything different, and if they find out they don't believe it, b/c they have already bought into the doctors bs.... WAY more babies get "saved" then are actually in danger... funny math- isn't it

And a lot have heard so many horror stories they're scared. Instead of being excited for the work of labor and the birth of their child they only have fear and want to get it over with.

But- many others want to know, thankfully!

December 11th, 2008, 06:39 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
it depends on the personality type. Some people like for others to make decisions for them, some people enjoy the whole doc patient dynamic and like the drama. Others still believe doctors are superhuman.
December 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Ugh, it is with anything anymore, everyone wants the QUICK and EASY fix. What drug will mask your symptoms? what surgery will take away your symptom right now even if it does not fix the root of the problem? The microwave is not fast enough for most people anymore I have had a lot of patients WANT back surgery because "my back hurts in the morning if i do not stretch" and when they say that, i am horrified. I have seen BAD back surgery results. I would only get back surgery if i was bed bound and every other option exhausted. This is the same with having a baby. c-sections are easy, they are planned, no pain (at the time) and "clean" People are in such denial of their bodies and the natural processes of the body. Labor is natural, pregnancy is natural, menopause is natural. These are not things that need to be surgically or medically messed with except in extreme cases. Most of my patients do not research epidurals and c sections and the risks associated with them. They do not want to know, cause they do not want to feel pain. It is hard to bite my tongue.

December 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
I DO think that a lot of women just want the "easy" way out. They don't pay attention to what the long term effects could be, all they care about is what it does for them in the here and now. I'm sure that if they knew all of the facts before hand that the amount of mothers who have a NCB would be a lot higher.

December 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is sad to me, and I think a lot of women just want to trust that the doctors know the best thing, and that's that. My friend just had a baby and I love her dearly, but when she was pregnant, she said she just wanted to be drugged up and woken up when it was over! Near the end of her pregnancy, she started coming around to the idea of being in labor, and the pain.. etc. But overall, she just kind of didn't want to to deal with it. She ended up having to have a C-Section because of a tilted cervix, but I think she'd be happy to do it again....

I was telling her about watching the business of being born, and assumed she had seen it and educated herself. She couldn't watch it because she's "too squemish" What?? Really?? I thought ever aspect of it was beautiful. If you can't watch a women giving birth because it grosses you out, how in the hell can you even be in tune with your body??
It made me sad, and wish I could enlighten her... but I just changed the subject.
December 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do think a lot of women want the easy way out (like I don't really want to know the adverse side effects of an epi because that would mean I might have to feel pain) or they are just plain lazy (I'd rather trust blindly whatever my doctor or friends say than really investigate what's best for me and my baby). Our entire culture is programmed to be this way so it really shouldn't surprise me, but I take my responsibility of the well-being of my child to be THE most important job I will ever have, so I honestly can't understand not learning all there is to know in order to protect them.
December 11th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I havent met one other woman that really wants to know about NCB. I think we are a special breed.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 11th, 2008, 03:21 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think women have been taught from a very early age that birth is scary and awful -look at movies and TV- and when the doctors all say that there are little risks to all the interventions and epidurals and scheduled csections, they take it as the truth. I was the same way with my first birth. I read all about it and I honestly thought that natural childbirth was silly in today's day and age. Why would you do something that painful without anesthesia of some kind? You don't have a root canal without pain meds!!! It is a total paradigm shift for people to see it the way you all see it...and the way I see it now. It goes against everything we've been told as women for our entire lives (unless you happen to have been raised differently than the average American woman) and it's SCARY to trust!!

December 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
the root canal analogy always bugged me. It's not NATURAL to get a root canal, birth IS natural, it's totally different.

but yeah, I agree, I think most women just turn a blind eye to it.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I havent met one other woman that really wants to know about NCB. I think we are a special breed.[/b]
We are all most definitely very special people. You are some of the smartest, loveliest women I know!
December 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I'd say that 90% of women are happy and content living in denial and trusting their dr's instead of their bodies.
December 12th, 2008, 05:15 AM
~Jackie
Ignorance is bliss.

I become very frustrated and over-whelmed with always feeling like I have to become an expert on any topic of pregnancy/labor/parenting because of all the misinformation out there. I wish things were simpler.
December 12th, 2008, 06:42 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think a lot of it has to do with your frame of reference for all things meidicinally...for example, I was raised with the belief that you didn't just take whatever a doctor said and do it, that you learn to think for yourself and become your own advocate with your health, while obviously balancing the training and the expertise that a doctor has. My husband on the other hand was raised to think that doctor's know everything and that you can trust them no matter what. We actually get into fights about this sometimes...for example, I went into my OB's office with what I told them were BH contractions, the doctor at first thought I was mistaken (which is understandable, I'm a first time mom) but eventually resigned himself to what I was saying, then gave me a prescription for antibiotics for a UTI that I didn't have! (he was doing further testing on my urine since the intially testing said I didn't have one) I filled the prescription, didn't take it at all and felt totally justified when they called me the following week and said I didn't have a UTI...my husband on the other hand wasn't happy at all that I didn't take the meds.

I think some people just truly believe that doctor's always know best....and if a doctor says an epidural is totally safe and totally normal, then by all means let's embrace the epidural!

Thankfully DH's eyes are now open with birth. I had him read the thinking woman's guide...he now tells me I'm not allowed an epidural. lol.
December 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
You know what else this thread made me think about?

I am really surprised when i read my DDC forum and how much medicine these women take in their pregnancies. I am having almost daily headaches and migraines, but i just try to relax, get a massage, get acupuncture or shiatsu and it helps take the edge off. One woman mentioned an allergy medicine she was taking, and i used to take it, and in the information packet it says "do not take if pregnant OR trying to get pregnant" and that freaked me out and i tossed it. I mentioned that to her and she said her OB prescribed it. But seriously, if i read that on something while pregnant, i would NEVER take it. i do not think i am extra tough or even masochistic, but i really do not want to put anything in my body that could remotely harm my little baby. Unless it was life or death, i can almost always find natural and homeopathic remedies.

Funniest thing is, i recommended a homeopathic remedy in the DDC and someone told me it was bad for you. Um, it is homeopathic, there is no trace amounts of the active ingredient. Oh, and i am a trained professional here

December 12th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Quote:
You know what else this thread made me think about?

I am really surprised when i read my DDC forum and how much medicine these women take in their pregnancies. I am having almost daily headaches and migraines, but i just try to relax, get a massage, get acupuncture or shiatsu and it helps take the edge off. One woman mentioned an allergy medicine she was taking, and i used to take it, and in the information packet it says "do not take if pregnant OR trying to get pregnant" and that freaked me out and i tossed it. I mentioned that to her and she said her OB prescribed it. But seriously, if i read that on something while pregnant, i would NEVER take it. i do not think i am extra tough or even masochistic, but i really do not want to put anything in my body that could remotely harm my little baby. Unless it was life or death, i can almost always find natural and homeopathic remedies.

Funniest thing is, i recommended a homeopathic remedy in the DDC and someone told me it was bad for you. Um, it is homeopathic, there is no trace amounts of the active ingredient. Oh, and i am a trained professional here [/b]

I feel totally guilty for taking even Tylonol...I know it's supposed to be fine...but I feel like if less is better than none is great! lol. I was practically crying when I had such a bad sinus cold over Thanksgiving that I took sudafed (per doctor's reccomendation) I felt SOOO guilty for taking it even though I knew it was okay.
December 12th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I find a lot of women like to talk about their "horrible, painful labors" which freaks out the younger women. Then it creates this cycle where those who are pregnant just blindly believe that labor is painful and they need an epi, etc.

I think this goes for things like cloth diapers, taking any kind of drugs during pregnancy, and a bunch of other stuff as well. I actually get more negative comments about cloth diapering then I do about natural birth. I think that a lot of women just assume certain things and don't want to take the time to really examine why they believe it.

December 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Quote:
I feel totally guilty for taking even Tylonol...I know it's supposed to be fine...but I feel like if less is better than none is great! lol. I was practically crying when I had such a bad sinus cold over Thanksgiving that I took sudafed (per doctor's reccomendation) I felt SOOO guilty for taking it even though I knew it was okay.[/b]
i took tylenol twice, but did not think it really helped enough. I am not ANTI medicine, but taking regular medicine on a daily basis just is not a good idea! I really think medicine should be a last resort and so many people take it as the first step.

December 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ya- medicine is the first step for most.

oh- and the DDCs piss me off sometimes- If mine is not natually minded at least a little then I'll probably just stay here

December 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I feel totally guilty for taking even Tylonol...I know it's supposed to be fine...but I feel like if less is better than none is great! lol. I was practically crying when I had such a bad sinus cold over Thanksgiving that I took sudafed (per doctor's reccomendation) I felt SOOO guilty for taking it even though I knew it was okay.[/b]
i took tylenol twice, but did not think it really helped enough. I am not ANTI medicine, but taking regular medicine on a daily basis just is not a good idea! I really think medicine should be a last resort and so many people take it as the first step.
[/b]

Ditto...tylenol is my least favorite painkiller but even if I can take anything and I'm not pregnant, if I have a headache, I drink some water or try and rest...the only times I take medicine ever is if I don't think I can handle it any longer and I don't have the option of going to sleep (sleep fixes all pain! lol)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search