Acupuncture to induce labor?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Has anyone heard of it, tried it or heard of anyone else doing it? I have always wanted to try acupuncture as well as going to the chiro for my joint/back pain but I think I might find one and schedule a visit right around my due date

ETA: Here is a link to one of the articles I read

http://www.earthmamasweb.com/article...cy/induct.html
December 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
The closest I know of is watching some natural birth show on Discovery or something. A woman did it and went into labor within a couple of hours. Sorry! One thing I have heard is that it is a good way to go because it only works if your body is ready. Good luck!

December 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I've never done it myself but I've heard the same thing that the PP mentioned, that it will only work if your body is truly ready for labor. Don't know how accurate that is though...
December 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
YES! I am an acupuncturist and almost everyone goes into labor within 24 hours of the treatment. You want to find someone who is experienced in that and does electro acupuncture to induce the labor. Feel free to ask questions or PM me

December 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Quote:
YES! I am an acupuncturist and almost everyone goes into labor within 24 hours of the treatment. You want to find someone who is experienced in that and does electro acupuncture to induce the labor. Feel free to ask questions or PM me [/b]
Oh cool! I am going to look around and try and find someone, I have been wanting to do acupunture for a while but just haven't gotten around to it. How am I supposed to know if the person is legit or not? Or is there some kind of licensing that I should look for? The reason I ask is because I always drive by this old run down house that has a sign on it saying "asian massage and acupunture" or something like that and it looks reeeeally shady lol.

(I live in Augusta GA btw)
December 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster

yeah I would avoid that place!

I have had it before, it's very cool. Not for labor though, for back issues.
December 11th, 2008, 10:24 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am such an advocate for accupuncture to induce or augment labor. It is especially good for PROM or postdates. I've had quite a few of my clients get it, and everyone has had GREAT results, except for one very impatient mama who did it at 38 weeks.

December 12th, 2008, 06:13 AM
~Jackie
I did a report on acupuncture back in HS and I mentioned labor. I've also read up on it a bit when preggo with Kailey. It really does work, good luck!
December 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I only do it on women past their due dates! i do not care how impatient they are

You want to find someone LICENSED in your state and board certified by the NCCAOM. I would avoid that shady place, sounds like a "special massage" place, if you know what i mean. you can go to the NCCAOM website and search by zipcode: www.nccaom.org
I would also suggest finding someone who does "Traditional Chinese Medicine" not "Worsley" or "Five Element" or "Traditional Acupuncture", just my professional opinion, those last three are all different names for the same thing.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

December 12th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Quote:
I only do it on women past their due dates! i do not care how impatient they are

You want to find someone LICENSED in your state and board certified by the NCCAOM. I would avoid that shady place, sounds like a "special massage" place, if you know what i mean. you can go to the NCCAOM website and search by zipcode: www.nccaom.org
I would also suggest finding someone who does "Traditional Chinese Medicine" not "Worsley" or "Five Element" or "Traditional Acupuncture", just my professional opinion, those last three are all different names for the same thing.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.[/b]

LOL I know, I was thinking do I get a happy ending along with my acupuncture?

I am definitely waiting until my due date of course, but I am soooo ready to have this baby. Last time I was induced at 37 weeks because of pre-e and the pitocin was really horrible so I'm looking to avoid that this time.

Thanks for the website and the advice...off to search!

December 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
HI Katie!

Nice to see you over here! I did acupressure with my last baby and was in labor about and hour later. It was 2 days past here EDD. I was surprised at how quickly it worked!

GL

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search