Toning during labor

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Regular
Hi--I've only posted once on here but I was hoping to get some feedback. I've been trying to find some information on toning as a method for pain management during birth. Has anyone heard of this? If so, can anyone point me in the direction of some resources? I had a NCB with my son and utilized what I thought was toning during labor but I'd really like to learn more about it as I think it is one of the things that really helped keep me relaxed (in addition to hypbirth). I've tried to google it but mostly I just get things about toning muscles which isn't the "toning" I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for any thoughts...
December 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I admit I'm confused... are you talking about vocalization in labor?

December 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
do you mean toning like a new agey kinda thing? I know about toning crystals. Otherwise I'm at a loss too.
December 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Regular
Quote:
do you mean toning like a new agey kinda thing? I know about toning crystals. Otherwise I'm at a loss too.[/b]
This is all I've ever been able to find (see below). I found out about it on a birth show (baby story on TLC, maybe).

Toning in Pregnancy and Labor

Beverly Pierce, M.L.S., M.H.D., R.N.

Beverly Pierce, M.L.S., M.H.D., R.N., is a noted childbirth educator. This paper is an edited version of her presentation at the 9th International APPPAH Conference in San Francisco. She may be contacted at: The Living Room Resource Center, Virginia Piper Cancer Institute, Mail Route 39419, 800 East 28th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55407, USA Tel. 612 863-8713

Journal of Prenatal & Perinatal Psychology & Health
Article: pp. 217–223 | Abstract
Volume 15, Issue 3 (March 2001)

Though many birth classes teach breathing techniques intended to be performed silently, women often cope with the energy, sensation and effort of labor by vocalizing. This normal response to labor can be explored and understood in pregnancy through a practice of toning, i.e., voicing the exhalation of breath on a single pitch, using a vowel sound or a hum. Women and men, primarily in the author’s childbirth education classes, were taught the practice of toning. Postpartum, they described their experiences with tone, pointing to a variety of effects such as physical and emotional release, self-listening and self-confidence, bodily vibration, increased ability to cope with pain, useful forms of focus, positive connection with a partner, and a sense of relatedness with nature, origins or spirit. Toning can also provide caregivers with a simple, nonverbal mode of intervention to facilitate relaxation and centeredness in labor.
December 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I read about this recently in "the Birth Book". It didn't go into great detail but mentioned that low tones are relaxing high pitched tones are a sign of stress. Here are 2 sites I found when I googled "vocalization birth"

http://www.cpmc.org/services/newbornconnec...birthPrepv2.doc

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/bir...les/vocal.html

Vocalization: using tonality for ease of discomfort and creating more effective contractions. Not all noise is the same. In order for vocalization to work as a way to promote relaxation and more rapid dilation, the noise must be conducive to relaxing and dilation. Screaming, screeching, or any high-pitched noise does not come from a relaxed body, nor does it create a relaxing environment for the mother. The type of noise to use in labor is low-toned moans, groans, humming, deep breathing, chanting or sighing. Low-toned noises are made from a relaxed throat, neck and chest with the mouth and jaw relaxed. You cannot make low-toned noises without being relaxed. Open jaw and relaxed throat also promote the cervix to open and relax as well, allowing for more rapid dilation and less stress = less discomfort. Helping a vocalizer: Pay particular attention to the noise the mother makes. If her voice gets high-pitched or she begins to scream, tell her to open her mouth and take a deep breath. Just opening her mouth should get her to relax her jaw and will bring the tone lower. If the mother is really struggling through a contraction, you may find that you need to make noise for her. Start making a low-toned noise near her face while you try to get her attention. Most mothers will begin to imitate the noise you are making.

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Regular
Thanks! Those resources will help a lot. If anyone else has any other info, let me know!
December 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you should also look up the three Rs- penny simkin talks alot about them- "relaxation, rythem and ritual"

December 15th, 2008, 07:06 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
please let us know what you find out!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search