The modest woman's attire during NCB??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so I'm a pretty modest person, in general. My husband and I have been married 9 years this month, we've been together over 12 years, and I still don't do things like walk around naked, go to the bathroom in front of him, or have sex with the lights all the way (well, not very often). I'm not ashamed of my body, and my husband is awesome and loves me and my bod, but I don't particularly feel comfortable enough to just lay it all out there, ya know?

I am giving birth this time at a Birthing Center with a birth tub, midwife, and doula. My husband will also be present and supporting me 100%. He's awesome and I know deep down that none of them would bat an eye if I walked around in labor completely nude. But, I would not be comfortable. I know this. During my first birth, I was not comfortable in the hospital gown and had my robe on every time I got up. Until the pushing stage when modesty (of course) goes out the window.

I know that a lot of people say, "Once you get that far, you won't care who is around" but I know that's not true for me. I will not be able to focus if I'm stressed about my arse hanging out or my boobs swinging to and fro! LOL!

So, my question is - what can I buy to wear in labor? What can I wear in the birthing tub that would be easy to remove after birth? I would imagine that you doula/midwives would have some good advice here?? TIA!

December 12th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
it's gonna be hard with a waterbirth to wear something that will keep you covered. anything long is going to float and get in the way. the only thing I could suggest is a long, snug fitting t-shirt. I personally wore a sports bra, but nothing else, I didn't care by that point. Maybe a sarong style skirt that you could take off in the tub but put on easily if you were getting out.

You could also look at getting a zip-up nightgown. They are really easy for nursing and stuff too. check walmart and such, you should be able to find something

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 12th, 2008, 07:28 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I would just wear a swimsuit top. I also have a maternity tank top from Old Navy that is super comfortable and would cover everything (has a built in bra).

No way could I go around with just the hospital gown on, I'm definitely keeping my bra on because for one thing my nipples are super sensetive, and for another thing my boobs are so DARN heavy that it would be uncomfortable.
December 12th, 2008, 07:30 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Maybe a sporty workout tank top that has the built in sports bra. If you are willing for less than that then I would say just a sports bra and maybe a type of wrap around skirt for when you are getting in and out of the tub. There isn't much else that will work for a water birth situation really that I can think of.

December 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I am right there with you! My bag has my bathing suit top in it for the tub and on of DH's long t-shirts that covers my "arse". I tend to be really active in labor. Sitting still makes me nuts. I've also nursed 3 babies and don't want to bare all! The t-shirt is comfy and long enough that not wearing panties won't matter. The bathing suit top (tanki top) doesn't cover everything but sitting a birth tub I don't care as much.

HTH!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 12th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My plan will be to wear a sports bra and then use a bathing suit wrap or something for when I'm moving about the room. I'm not really "modest" but I know I will have friends and family in and out of the room and I wont want to be totally nude.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
December 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
littlebabydolly
I thought id be nude but i kept a maternity dress on till the end! (SOAKED!!')
December 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never got totaly nude with my first two, I keept my gown on. This time going for a water birth I am going to take an old sports bra to wear in the tub. I don't feel comfy being compleatly nude even thought there is only going to be DF the midwife and I in the room.
December 13th, 2008, 04:15 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i am VERY modest outside of my home. There are actually ads in pregnancy magazines for birthing clothes I have not thought that far ahead, but will definitely NOT be buck naked

December 13th, 2008, 06:00 AM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I have a sports bra that I got really cheap at TJ Maxx. Its too big, but I plan to throw it away afterwards anyhow. It fastens in the back, rather than having to go over my head. I plan to wear that and probably nothing else. But if I'm feeling modest, I'll throw on a bathing suit bottom.

Come visit my blog!
December 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I brought a black sleep bra and black tanktop to wear (I figured white would be a little showy in the water ). I ended up wearing the tank top and just pulled it up off my belly. When I was out of the water, I would put a towel around me in case someone walked in. I had my mom and sister in and out of the room, so I wanted to be covered if they walked in.

December 13th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
great thread. I am also not a naked kinda gal!! I think I will be doing a bathing suit top or sports bra/nursing bra type thing and then maybe a wrap around swim suit skirt to cover the goods

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I have a sports bra that zips up in the front. That might be pretty easy. As far as anything else, I'm not much help. I was buck nekkid once I got in the tub!

December 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I find that a light weight shirt (in a dark color) is fine for the tub, even a long sleeved one. A sarong is also my choice for the tub ( well for getting out of it).

But if you also want to wear bottoms in the tub then a good idea is to wear a skirt- preferably a bathing suit material one.... you can buy the fabric and make a skirt in whatever length you prefer.

Another option (if you want to push clothed) is to cut out the crotch on a piar of goucho pants. You could even put velcro on them, so they could close up. But do keep a pair of scissors around if you do that, just in case for some reason your m/w needs more access.

oh- and don't forget LOTS of spare clothing. You're going to want a dry shirt anytime you leave the tub. Keep them handy.

December 13th, 2008, 04:56 PM
good suggestions Cheryl!

December 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions - and I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

Cheryl - how many times would you estimate someone would be in and out of the tub? I'm not planning to get to the birthing center until around 5cm - my doula will help me labor at home before that and advise me when to go. I hadn't thought about getting in and out and feeling wet and cold. TIA!

December 14th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I didn't want to get out of the tub once I was in. But it may be different for you, just depends on how you feel. With Courtney I got in at 5cm, with Nola i was almost 7 by the time I went in.

December 15th, 2008, 07:31 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions - and I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

Cheryl - how many times would you estimate someone would be in and out of the tub? I'm not planning to get to the birthing center until around 5cm - my doula will help me labor at home before that and advise me when to go. I hadn't thought about getting in and out and feeling wet and cold. TIA![/b]
well- you may not get out, but there is no guarentee. If you need to use the bathroom you would get out, if you want or need to be checked, if you feel like it, if it is too hot/cold for you, etc.

It is a good idea to pack 4 or so extra shirts. They don't take up lots of room, and if you do need them you'll be glad.

December 15th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
thats good stuff! I am so afraid my labor is going to be so short I don't make it. ALmost an hour drive to get there. or it will soooo long! lol
Nichole's was only 2 1/2 hours first contraction to birth. I had an epi though so not really sure how long I was ready. I was told about 40 minutes before she was born not to move because she was coming out/.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
MamaBx3
I kept my gown on with both girls but as soon as they were out I took it off to nurse them.. and I kept it off while holding them for the first few hours.

I think that the sports bra idea and the maternity tank top idea are great.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search