Water Birth?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Newbies
Hi all, Im new here. and I have a few questions if you could help me out?

In May 08 I gave birth at a hospital and had an epidural and IV meds...i was really wanting to do the birthing tub but was unable to because the hospital kind of pressured me into laboring without it, so i listened, it was my first

I am now due with number two in June 09, and found out that the neighboring hospital does water birth...i do NOT want an epi this time as i felt totally out of control last time with it, and honestly i dont think my pain was bad enough to NEED it...annd the IV meds made me soo loopy i could barely talk for about 15 minutes...no one could understand me!!

so i guess i have alot of questions?

are the risks that ive read about, (baby water inhalation, infections, etc) really common, or is that just the critics trying to prove that water birth is bad?

also did anyone here have a water birth and a traditional birth? do you think you honestly had less pain with the water birth? im pretty scared mostly just because it is the unknown, but this will be my last baby and i really want it to go smoothly and stress free as much as possible. im really considering the water birth, and my insurance does cover it, just wondering other peoples thoughts on it?

tia,
December 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I can't help you as I had an epi/ induced birth with my first. I am considering water though for this one. I will be at a birthing center so it will be there if I want it. Right now I am more in the "not sure I want to sit in my own stuff" to the "well I won't completely say I won't do it" I have never heard of risks of doing it though. I am sure we will get some great responces

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Waterbirth is freaking AWESOME!

My first was a dry birth in a hospital, second was a waterbirth in a freestanding birth center. Both of my stories are in the subforum here.

Hard to say which was least painful, because my second was more painful overall. I definitely preferred the waterbirth though.

It is VERY safe when done properly. It's been used for a long time. There is little to no risk of the baby inhaling the water. The breathing reflex is not triggered until their face hits air. The placenta and cord continue to supply oxygen and other life support until the cord hits air. The main thing to be aware of is keeping the water at least at body temperature. Colder water has a risk of triggering the breathing reflex.

It's absolutely something I would recommend to anyone who has access to a facility that would allow it. You are very lucky to have a hospital that allows it, that is uncommon. Be aware that a lot of hospitals will tell you not to get in if your water has broken, but there is no additional risk of infection after water breaking unless you are having a lot of vaginal exams. just getting in the tub won't increase your risk.

There are LOTS of water birth videos on youtube (including mine - search for "nola's waterbirth")

oh, and to those who think it's "yucky" you aren't sitting around in your own gunk. there's nothing really until the baby is coming out and then the tub gets drained pretty much right away. you won't even notice!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 13th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
**psst I want your diapers!!! lol ok sorry

I don't know I have this crazy irrational fear of the stuff. lol Not sure why. I am interested in it, and I'm good with laboring.. not sure about the water though. I am leaning that way more and more but we will see. lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 13th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Quote:
**psst I want your diapers!!! lol ok sorry

I don't know I have this crazy irrational fear of the stuff. lol Not sure why. I am interested in it, and I'm good with laboring.. not sure about the water though. I am leaning that way more and more but we will see. lol[/b]
I know, Karissa told me! (and that's totally cool - you can have a custom slot for that whenever )

the water really is amazing. Not only does it relieve pain (up to 50% of it), it's relaxing and helps soften and relax your skin to prevent tears. I didn't tear at all with my first (spent 5 hours in the water, got out 10 minutes before she was born), and only a minor tear - no stitches- with my second (only 1 hour in the water).

you should look at some of the youtube videos. Mine isn't graphic

December 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will thanks. I was totally against the water birth.. not for others just not for me. Then as soon as I found out I was pg.. the idea crept in lol. We will see. I won't say that I won't do it... just don't want to say I will yet. lol
I know my midwife said that about 80% of the births there are in the tub... so I know she knows what she is doing. lol

Quote:
laugh.gif I know, Karissa told me! (and that's totally cool - you can have a custom slot for that whenever wink.gif )[/b]
OMG seriously. Did she tell you I want like 18 dipes? lol It's a lot!!! I just don't want what I had with Nichole of a billion different diapers and only liked some. I want all the same kinda thing. I know you make these and well that is a TON of diapers for an order!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
lol Kaytee! She's had bigger orders.

Anyway, I have only had one, but it was a waterbirth and it was AMAZING! I was ready to have our next by the next day! I had no tearing, and I don't feel that my contractions ever got to the point of being actually painful so much as intense. My birth story is also in the subforum. I attribute the no tearing and the lack of pain to the water. As for the risks, I didn't even get into the water until my water broke. My mw was like "better get in if you want a waterbirth!" (I hit a 9 as soon as that happened). So as far as an increased risk after the water breaks, I don't think that is an issue unless you are giving birth in a fish tank. And I never sat in any stuff. I had one piece of membrane escape, which my mw promptly scooped out, then after we pulled Tanith out of the water they started draining the tub. I am planning a home waterbirth for this one. If I can help it, I am not having anything but waterbirths!

December 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
lol I am sure she has biger orders, but its still pretty big.

I read your birth story this morning. I was bored and reading them. lol I did watch a Business of Being Born last night. That was really good. off to you tube... gotta go find Kellys lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
oh yeah, I've had a couple big orders from individuals, one for 24, the other for 18. As long as you are flexible and not needing them IMMEDIATELY I dont' mind.

December 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nope!! I was planning to try to get them as soon as I find out the sex. Then I can use tax return money! lol It's not like they are cheap. Well comparitivly maybe but not cheap. lol
I'm not picky on patterns or colors or whatnot either. Just want boyish or girlish. lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 13th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Newbies
thanks for all of your answers so soon ladies.

i am pretty sure i am doing a water birth, but i guess im just nervouus....my midwife keeps reassuring me that if i dont like it or if i feel like i NEED the epi then i can always get out and have the same birth i had last time....i just dont know if i mentally can make sure i dont do that, because i really dont want to!!

its very reassuring to hear that you tear less in the water ... i had a very fast labor last time so i think it willl go well.l

thanks again everyone.

December 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
sorry I high jacked the thread a bit. I didn't mean too!!!

I know the more I see the more it seems apealing. Still nervous of the stuff htough lol sorry. I am sure its just like anything else you get used to it.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi, welcome! I'm Cheryl, mom to Acadia and co-host here.

I only spent a little bit of time in the water while I was in labor - our tub at home. It was early on before my water broke and things got more intense, but it did relieve the contractions by at least 50% or more. I was in NJ at the time, and the small hospital I went to allowed only laboring in their tubs, our intake nurse took FOREVER, so by the time she was done messing around I was to 9cm and couldn't get in the tub. A total bummer for me.

My next birth will be at home in a tub.

Another advantage to being in the water is it really softens you up and lessens tearing or eliminates it. You don't sit in your own stuff either. I know for home births they usually have you get a little net and if anything is floating around it's scouped right up.

As you have already had a bad experience with an epidural, this is a great natural way to manage the contractions. Also I think it's a pretty cool experience for the baby! Such a peaceful, warm way to enter the world!

hope you sitck around
December 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With my first, I labored without drugs (I had the epidural right before pushing) and had a water birth this time.
My opinion is that it never hurts to leave the option open. I had bad back labor with this baby and I feel the water was helpful. It not only helps with pain management, but I was able to get in positions in the tub that I never could have out of it. I went into the birth with the idea that it was available and I would play it by ear. I did, and spent some time in the water and some time out, but ended up delivering her in the tub. I would do a water birth again in a heartbeat. I feel there are no risks, and that it's actually a very peaceful and wonderful way to birth a child. They are in water for the 9 months in the womb, why not come out into the same environment? I didn't tear at all this time, which could have been because I was in the water or because it was my second child. I was told pushing is usually much easier in the water though.
I posted my birth story on here if you want to read it.

Expecting baby #4!

December 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I've never had a water birth but plan to this time around. My son was born in a hospital without any pain medications. Just wanted to welcome you to the board. Congrats on your pregnancy! I hope we see you posting more soon!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search