Natural Childbirth Denies Women Choice?!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I just found this article online this morning. What do you think?

Article

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

December 17th, 2008, 08:48 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. It is my personal feeling that every woman should be allowed to choose whether she wants an epidural or not. But elective C-sections just seem wrong. And because I feel that natural childbirth (despite the 'agony' ) is right for me, I don't want anyone bullying me into an epidural. The same should be true for women who do want one...they shouldn't be bullied into not having one. However, I feel that the medical system is trying to make one way or the other considered 'normal', when both can be normal. Can't we have it both ways?

I do feel that the media and celebrity trends drive this disagreement, as the lady in the article said. When you have Angelina Jolie having an elective IVF (because she doesn't want to 'wait' to get pregnant ) and then having an elective C-section (just because she can ), women are going to feel like this is okay. Which it isn't. IVF is a serious medical procedure capable of producing miracles for couples who can't have children naturally, and C-sections are for emergencies only. But not anymore in our culture of "I want it now" which is sick in itself.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

December 17th, 2008, 10:16 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NEG- I couldn't have said it better myself.

December 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
forced to NOT have pain killers? Where? I am sorry but I have never heard of woman being forced to have natural labors

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

December 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that article is just ridiculous! How is the government pandering to NCB? How is the trend now NCB, where women are being denied choice of an epi or c-section? Are us NCBers really the norm now, who ridicule the minority of women who still choose pain relief?!! As far as I am concerned, this is propoganda to help ensure the medical establishment's hold on birth. A way to scare women from considering the benefits of NCB. What a shame!
December 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
insert fart noise here
December 17th, 2008, 12:18 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Wow. Wow. Wow. I cannot even comprehend what i just read. Wow. First off, I am not sure about the UK, but almost every woman in the US gets an epidural. I see very little public move towards less medication and less c-sections. An elective c-section is NEVER a good option. It should only be done in dire circumstances when the mother and/or baby are at severe risk. It is MAJOR surgery. I see many women in my private practice who have a lot of complications from their c-sections. Why do you think there is a whole forum on JM about C-section grief? holy moly.

December 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
"suffering needlessly as a result".... Well thats enough to piss me off for the rest of the day.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
~Jackie
Quote:
"suffering needlessly as a result".... Well thats enough to piss me off for the rest of the day.[/b]
December 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Having had surgery before, I can honestly say that giving birth vaginally MUST be better. I had a minor freakin knee surgery and was soooo miserable. I gave birth to my daughter vaginally...was I sore? Yeah of course! But at least I could walk around and shower by myself and not fall asleep hopped up on painkillers.

I bet a lot of women who want elective c sections have never had any kind of surgery and don't know how much it wreaks havoc on your body
December 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
That is really unbelievable!! I can't fathom this!

Totally agree - "suffering needlessly as a result".... Well thats enough to piss me off for the rest of the day.

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The article said that 25% of births in the UK were cesarean. So 25% of women are requesting c-sections? Really? REALLY? That many?? Whatever...

Even if women over there end up requesting pain relief, they are lucky to have the support in place to facilitate a NCB. That is so not the case in the US. This does sound like propaganda from the medical establishment. I don't know how things are in the UK, but in the US you have to get downright hostile sometimes to avoid an induction/epidural/c-section. Those interventions are rammed down our throats, but no one cares about choices. From things that the NCB advocates were saying, it sounds like things are still like that over there, though not as bad.

The only thing I agreed with was that women should have informed consent and make the choices they feel are best for themselves.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search