Ways to prep for labor?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I've read that squatting down frequently while pregnant helps prep you for labor....
and I've also read and then started doing...practicing relaxation techniques for labor...
Is there anything else I can do to prep, physically?
December 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
I would say be well rested. I wish I would have been rested when labor hit, instead I was exhausted and did not have the energy reserves I needed for the long labor ahead.

December 18th, 2008, 08:11 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
Rest, definitely. Also, get enough good carbs. It helps to have energy stored for labor.

I do squats, get some regular exercise and definitely practice relaxation. Sounds like you are doing well!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 18th, 2008, 10:34 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
any exercise is good really. Squatting is great too, as is sitting indian-style. Kegels are good, eating well (complex carbs, protien, fruits and veggies). childbirth education is important, as is resting (especially in early labor).

December 19th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sitting on a birth (exercise ball) is great prep for labor, to help your hips open and baby to engage. Drinking Red Raspberry Leaf tea can help tone the uterus and evening primrose oil can help soften the cervix. (But shouldn't be started until at least 36 weeks)

December 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
There's nothing more I can think of that the other ladies haven't already mentioned but it looks like you're off to a good start!
December 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aside from exercising and eating well I would get a birth plan together and share it with your support. I got exhausted during labor too and that was even after doing squats and walking 2 miles every day. Labor is just exhausting in every way. But I was also soooo excited. Sounds like you are doing a great job preparing yourself!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I agree about squatting, that was a big regret for me, I only started trying to squat late in pregnancy and at that point I was too big to really start- I say start right away. I will be doing it from the start with my next pregnancy.

I did yoga, walked a lot, swam. I took a wonderful NCB course taught by my Doula in her home. I read a lot too, and tried to stay away from the birth shows on tv that focus on the medical side, always inducing, sections, etc.

You will always get people that say there is no reason to "waste" time prepping. I highly disagree. You need stamina and the more you can get moving ahead of time, the better. Even if most of what you think will happen or spend time prepping for goes out the window when it comes to the moment, it all plays a part in the mental strength that it takes.

Personally I could barely remember to breathe for most of my labor, but there were some key times where my prep work paid off. At one point the dumb nurse couldn't "find" the baby's heartbeat. I learned in class that these things sometimes happen, and that it doesn't automatically mean an emergency. I stayed calm, and it turned out the baby had just moved or something like that.

Perenial massage and kegals are very important!!

sorry it took me so long to respond to this!
December 22nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
this is awesome!! I'm so glad I found this board. I will def be doing all these suggestions!!! and at least now I feel like my walking to and from work and squatting down in the office all day is doing something for my body!
December 22nd, 2008, 06:30 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
heck ya it is!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search