Had an orientation and tour of our birth center!!!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am soooo excited!!! Its about 30 minutes from us, and 30 mins from my parents, my ILs and my BFF! Not too bad!

First we get there, and there was about 6-7 other couples there too. The nurse comes in who is going to talk to all of us before we get the tour of the rooms. She starts to tell us that the birthing rooms are on the 3rd floor, and just down the hall is the regular L & D. So if any emergency occurs, they can rush you down the hall. Then she tells us that at the birth center (which is only for low risk pregnances), they don't put IVs in unless you need antibiotics or are dehydrated. So they warned us all to stay very hydrated! Then she said that they have a jacuzzi tub, birth ball, birth rocker, birth stool, and queen size bed. They also have this warmer thing, so when you get out of the tub and are cold they just roll it over and it hovers over you while you are in the bed. The tubs are huge and deep, and you can have your SO go in it too... so DH could, but he doesn't want to. She said its best for the men to wear a bathing suit, but sometimes they go naked, and she has seen so many naked men in there, and thats the life of a nurse haha. And she told us that when the baby is crowning- they have this crock pot full of hot damp towels and they press the towel on your perenium area to help soothe it- she said moms love it! And from all the different positions and relaxing with meditation from what we are studying- the chance of tearing is minimized tremedously- and they only do episiotimies if the babys shoulders are stuck and they can't free them- but she's only seen 3 done in the past 10 yrs! And she recommends having a doula- which I am! I found 2 who need a birth to complete there certification so just need to pick one. Meeting them after the holidays!
THen she told us we could do all the pre-registering online. And walked us through what will happen when we go into labor, how we call the center, let them know we are in labor, and then they pull our info out. Then when we get there, we can labor in the room any position, using any of the tools they have. She said they want you walking around, using the tub or shower, or ball or stool... and never laying down. (they don't allow water births, because of the liability, but she said they've had a few oops babies born in the tub, and oh well it happens - and I kinda am keen to a water birth now, and may try for an oops . So then we went to see the rooms. They are great, pretty spacious. They have a fridge in the room and they said to bring food for dad, cuz they only feed the moms whatever they want, and any juices or whatever to drink to.

The hospital where I see my midwife has a hospital where I couldve chosen to deliver at, but the nurse told us that the cesarian rate there now is 50%!!! Most places its 30-40%!!! So I am excited not to be there. They have high rates, cuz they mostly have OBs and are big pitocen pushers, which lead to epis, which eventually lead to c/s! The nurse told us that in the last 15 year she's worked at this birthing center, they've only had a 2-3% cesarian- all because baby was in distress and water broke long before!

They also want us practicing some program like Hypnobabies or Bradley Method. I am studying the Hypnobabies HOme study course and am very excited to give birth there. They have a large stereo system in each room too to listen to the cds. I also may bring my ipod with it on it too. There isn't anything about this birth center that I don't like... oh and when we were leaving we saw one of my midwives who was there for a birth! It was neat seeing her. DH was like _"There's Mary"... It was neat!!!!

Thanks for reading!!!

December 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow- it sounds wonderful!!!!

December 19th, 2008, 04:31 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
That is great! I cannot believe a hospital's c-section rate is 50% that is criminal

December 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Sounds like a great BC!!! Kinda stinks that they aren't supposed to do waterbirths, even though it kinda sounds like they sometimes let it happen anyway

December 19th, 2008, 09:23 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anna, it sounds like the perfect fit for the birth you want. How exciting when it all falls into place like that. Congrats!
December 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks girls . I'm super excited!
December 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Sounds like a wonderful place and I could sense your excitement when I was reading about it!
December 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow that does sound like a great place!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 20th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a fantastic place!!

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
December 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That sounds wonderful! I was reading up on some places that have the tubs but don't allow you to deliver in the water and wondered if you could some how pull off an oops! That would totally be me. I can't wait to hear your story.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
December 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
wow Anna, sounds amazing! I am jealous for sure. I would have loved that for my birth. My friend delivered at a BC in CT and I was with her, she had an amazing experience. And you get to go right home, the way it should be. Although at least in birthing centers they have real beds, and not god awful hospital beds.

The hospital we had Cadie at had a tub but didn't allow pushing in there...lame. Do you think her telling you about the oops moments was a stealth message, or no?

Congrats to you!
December 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM
Quote:
wow Anna, sounds amazing! I am jealous for sure. I would have loved that for my birth. My friend delivered at a BC in CT and I was with her, she had an amazing experience. And you get to go right home, the way it should be. Although at least in birthing centers they have real beds, and not god awful hospital beds.

The hospital we had Cadie at had a tub but didn't allow pushing in there...lame. Do you think her telling you about the oops moments was a stealth message, or no?

Congrats to you![/b]
They said the max they let people stay after birth is 24 hours.... so yea you can go home pretty quick. They said alot of women stay about 5 hours min. Next thing I need to do is find a ped and hopefully he/she will do delayed vax for us.

And yea, it was weird how she said "no water births, but sometimes baby comes before mama can get out of tub, so oops " So we'll see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search