what is it with inductions and c-sectons!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
Let me preface this by saying that I love my DDC. There are many moms that I really look forward to catching up with and always love to hear from. That being said, I'm so bothered by the fact that so many of them are going for inductions before they are even 40 weeks! I have read so many posts over the last week from moms saying that their doctors will induce them at 38-39 weeks if they haven't given birth yet. WTH?! Believe me I understand being impatient, I am soooooooooooooooo there! But I can't imagine asking to be induced before my due date! The worst part about it is that most of them will have the full intervention hospital birth and I just want to shake them and say "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?" I'm in the Jan DDC and many moms will be induced by the end of Dec. None of them are due yet!

Thanks for listening! It's so nice to have a place where I know you guys share a similar view of birth!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 20th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I understand that. I actually had to fight not to be induced. When I was 21 weeks I told the OB that I did not want to be induced. She was wanting to induce me as soon as I started to dilate or started to have any cramping. When I argued she went off. She was bringing up everything from not making it to the hospital and fetal demise. I had to switch doctors because of it.

I am miserable and feel like I am sooo much farther along than I am (I don't know what the deal is with my body this time around), but I still will not be induced unless there is a medical reason.

December 20th, 2008, 11:52 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thats what I like about where I live...you only get induced if you or baby are in danger or once you hit 42 weeks.

December 21st, 2008, 04:55 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
My cousin is getting induced today or tomorrow, at 38.5 weeks. ***? So she does not deliver during Xmas? are you ##### kidding me? It is so unnatural. She wanted to try acupuncture to induce the labor before today, but when i saw her on Friday, i explained to her that normally i do not take people who are NOT past their due date and since she is not even near her due date, imo, i doubt it will help. The baby ain't ready. If you are at 41 or 42 weeks, then induce, but seriously, why rush things at 38 weeks? oh yeah, cause we want everything done fast, easy, and pain free.

December 21st, 2008, 05:33 AM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
It's so annoying! I think women choose to not educate themselves, or ignore what they do know, simply for their own convenience and pleasure. I'm not even active in my DDC at all, just b/c I get annoyed so easily. I prefer hanging around here and WTTC grads, where there are women who share my beliefs about pregnancy and childbirth.

Come visit my blog!
December 21st, 2008, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wait until the end of next month, chances are that it's only going to get worse. I couldn't believe the number of inductions in our DDC, many of them for "big" babies (who were at leats a pound smaller than estimated) or because the mom was near or just past her due date. I doubt there were even 25% spontaneous labors so far, with only a handful of women who are still left to have thier babies. I'm just shocked how we've taken away the natural process of labor and childbirth, by not letting women even go into labor on thier own.

December 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM
~Jackie
I think many women are just honestly content with the outcome of mom & baby being alive. If any complications occur they chock it up to "thank goodness we were at the hospital so that they could deal with this complication!" - well.... it was the hospital that caused that complication. . .
December 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What I dont get is why Obs push inductions and c sections so much when it can cause so much more harm to the mother and/or baby than if she went into labor on her own?

And I know what you mean. I eventually just had to leave my DDC for a while and come over here. It was just too depressing and dissappointing.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I had to take breaks here and there from my DDC too. And I notice all the time when I go looking to see if someone from here has had their baby that most threads are titled along the lines of induction or sections. These women seem happy to have it that way.

I think the drama is just attractive to some people. I thought my birth was dramatic enough as it was- totally spontanious and intervention free. But we are a rare breed in this.
December 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I doubt I'll even "join" a DDC on JM b/c of that... I'll stick with mothering~ where usually at least 50% of moms are planning OOH births.

December 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
~Jackie
DDC's are very hard and I post in mine. Although once March hits I will rarely go there as I'll become stressed & irritated over the inductions and c-sections as well.
December 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I'm so glad you guys get it! I was induced with my 1st at my due date. It was awful! I don't know how anyone who has been through it could choose it. It's one of those things that I have regretted since it happened.

I totally agree with the drama thing. What is more exciting than spontaneous labor?! My DH and I are on pins and needles wondering when the moment will strike. It's fun to wonder about it. I know that end is hard (it's driving me nuts!) but I think it's God's way of helping us become willing to go through what we do to bring baby into the world. As my due date approaches and my discomfort increases, my fears and anxieties melt away. Each day that passes makes me more ready to face whatever labor brings to have this baby!!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 27th, 2008, 09:19 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is crazy to me!!!! On Christmas day I met a gal who had a c-section for her first and second and I talked about my dream for th NCB with no interventions to begin with and DHs cousin said for her number 2 (they are TTC now) she wants a VBAC. The girl said 'no, the great thing about having a c/s first is you can schedule it around your life- work- mani/pedi, clean house, have baby'. She was 100% serious. And she told me after I spoke about going for a NCB (I told them about my birth center, my midwives, my Doula, and Hypnobabies) she said- 'yea call me after u have a c/s'. So off! I changed the subject cuz there was no changing her!!! Soo unbelievable!!!
December 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
some people don't want to think there is a better way to do things is all

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search