Has/Does anyone just go with the flow?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2008, 05:54 AM
~Jackie
When in labor?

I read the Bradley Book, which I loved and am reading again. It taught me how the body really works in labor and with that knowledge, I really felt awesome about being pregnant and getting ready to go through labor. I was so stoked about labor that it was a breeze. By the time I tentatively called my MW fearing that I'd woken her up and she came over, I was already 4-6cm. I didn't really think I was in labor... it was just so easy! I just relaxed and breathed - that's it! My body never said "move in this position" "Move in that position" "go walk"... I didn't "need" to do anything, just sit there and breathe.

By the time we got to the hospital (had to take heart medication, that I no longer have to take this time so I'm having a homebirth) I was at 9cm. I'm just walking and laughing at DH being spastic trying to park the car. If a contraction came I just stopped, breathed, and kept walking to the room. Easy Peasy!!!!!!

Then I was 9.5, I was in the hospital, the nurses sucked, I didn't feel in control of my environment and I thought to myself, "If labor has been cake so far, I wonder if the pain will kick in during pushing?" and then I got anxious. Because of all those factors added together I clammed up, I got nervous, wouldn't let my body progress. In fact, my cervix was closing - THAT is when the pain kicked in because my contrax were 1,000 worse to re-open my fighting mentality. This pain lasted for 2 hours when my MW informed me my contrax were slowing down and they needed pit. I told her ok, but only if I get the epi because I knew I couldn't handle the pain of my current contrax + pit. contrax.

Well, this time, I'm still reading my book, but I still have the same mentality of "go with the flow".... anyone else?

What a long story for a simple question. LOL!!!
December 30th, 2008, 06:00 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think going with the flow is an excellent way to approach labor, and what I plan to do for myself. Being TOO hooked onto "doing it right" can be just as detrimental, or more, to not preparing for labor at all.

December 30th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
yep, I"m a definite "go-with-the-flow" laborer. I took a class with my first but ended up not using any of the techniques. I just used what seemed right at the time. With my second I think I ignored my body a little towards the end. I felt like I should get on my hands and knees but I didn't. half an hour later the MW checked me and said I needed to get on hands and knees to encourage a cervical lip to go away. 50 seconds after changing positions my daughter was in my arms. Had I moved earlier I'm sure she would have been born sooner (though the MW probably would have missed it )

I think it's important to learn different techniques, but don't rely solely on them. Listening to your body is more important. Go into labor with the "i can do it" attitude and the ability to adapt and you'll do fine.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
this is really encouraging to hear...I'm a first timer and I just plan on educating myself on a bunch of different ways to handle labor in hopes that I will be able to pull out what I need in order to get through it.
December 30th, 2008, 10:16 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
to a certain extent, I think everyone does. Hardly anything I did ahead of time seemed to come into play- the lights didn't get dimmed, no music, etc etc - BUT the mental preparation paid off immensely.
December 30th, 2008, 11:11 AM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
WOW! Your story sounds exactly like mine! I didn't need pit but the mental shift that occurred when I went to the hospital was the same. Suddenly, I felt out of control and panicky. I have been doing a lot of visualization this time in addition to my Bradley relaxation stuff. I now know that I was in transition and have read and re-read the sections on what is happening to my body during that time. I may of may not panic again but I'm no longer scared of it. I do think that giving birth is as much a mental exercise as it is physical. Focusing on your goals and what is happening with your body at each phase really works for me. This time we'll be at a birth center so I may have the same problem with environment change but I know the people meeting me there are on my team so I have a lot more confidence in my ability to just go with the flow. No threats of interventions or shock at my desire to go natural.

Hope that helps!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 30th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't take any classes on specific labor techniques and I didn't use any during labor. I went into with an open mind and decided to just handle the contractions whatever way felt right. I enjoyed being left to just do things however it came naturally to do them, and I don't think I could have done that in a hospital.

Expecting baby #4!

December 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a go-with-the-flow laborer too! I read Ina May Gaskin's 'Guide to Childbirth' before I had her, and I loved that book because of the practical information and the positive attitude! But when it came to labor, I just did what felt right, even if it was different with each contraction. I had back labor with Cassidy, and I was still able to get through naturally with no set 'technique', because I knew my body could do it if I just let it.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

December 30th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I just went with the flow too. I was glad I read up a bunch though so I could recognize what was going on with my body. I knew when transition hit and I knew when the push feelings finally started and where the baby was. I dont think I could have done anything but lie in bed and labor.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Veteran
These are awesome replies!

I'm definately a go with the flow birther too. I've done so with all 3 of my current children and will definately do so again with this one. My experience is so much quicker and nicer than that of my sisters who do the whole hospital active-management thing. To them birth is traumatic and painful and difficult, to me it is beautiful and something to look forward too. I hope you have a wonderful birth!

I'm Stayin Home and Lovin It!

My Pregnancy VLOG:
http://www.youtube.com/JoyeuseSteuer

December 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I was. I just trusted my body to do what it was supposed do, and adjusted myself to whatever I felt was right.

December 31st, 2008, 04:57 AM
~Jackie
I enjoyed all the replies!!!!! TY!
December 31st, 2008, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
well this will be my first natural labor but I will also go with the flow. I am reading Birthing From Within and my midwife requires a birthing class as well. So I will use all I can to figure out what will work while in labor.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search