today on "the doctors"

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2009, 10:41 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I've never seen this show until a bit yesterday, but one of the girls in my playroom likes it. I knew this show was going to be trouble for me b/c I have a big problem with much of the way Western Medicine is presented and practiced. Well, I turned the tv on yesterday during the day (which I never normally do) and caught a preview for today's episode- which talked a bit about birth.

The preview

I missed the whole first ten to 15 minutes, but what I did see was pretty bad. There was a couple on there 6 months pregnant, trying to decide between a home birth or hospital birth. They were being presented with things by the female doctor, who is an OB. As you can see in the preview, there is a lot of focus on the things that can go wrong and scare tactics.

The part I saw talked about these new wards that hospitals are developing that are much more like home, but with all the "safety" and called them spa like! I never heard a single mention of birth centers. One lady did talk about hypnobabies and her doula and was very positive about her birth, which was in one of these new delivery centers.

So the couple asked the OB about unnecessary interventions that many people feel are only done for the sake of speeding things along, and how often this really goes on. The OB said (direct quote) "Zipo" that OB's don't go into the field for the hours and they only want the best for the mom and baby. The dad to be responded "oh, that is so good to know"

UGH. The exact reason I knew I wouldn't like this show.
January 1st, 2009, 10:54 AM
~Jackie
It's for ratings. I won't watch anything I don't support so I don't give them more $$$. LOL!!! Sorry your BP went up watching that! Dr.'s suck when it comes to birth.
January 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
dr phil is behind the show, that was enough reason for me not to watch it.

anyways, i can't help roll my eyes at the comment about the interventions made on the doctor's behalf. in my own experience ( as well as reading my share of birth stories on this forum) you can't tell me my doctor chose interventions to benefit their personal life. my doctor chose to do a c section at 10 at night so he wouldn't be called to my bedside in the middle of the night when i finally dialated . did i mention his office hours started early afternoon the day after i had my daughter... how convenient was that?!

January 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM
noworries
I've only seen a few bits and pieces of that show and I can't stand it either. (And I can't stand Dr. Phil either, I didn't know he was behind that show).
January 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I watched that episode when it aired the first time a few months ago. STUPID STUPID. They did have one birth center "horror" story. The problem was that the baby had a lung or heart problem that wasn't detected in the SEVERAL ultrasounds they had done. But after the baby was born, 30 minutes later had to be rushed the hospital and almost died, now HOW is that the midwife or birth center's fault?!!

I was like, so that's the worst story you could come up with? I was really irritated by that whole episode.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 1st, 2009, 11:15 AM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I don't watch it, and I for sure won't after hearing this. Good for the one woman talking about her HB natural birth! At least it wasn't edited out.....

Come visit my blog!
January 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Never even heard of the show, thank goodness! Eek! sounds dreadful. I hate the scare tactics and the bull crap from the drs about intervention. I posted this last week in a nother thread, but my cousin was induced the Monday before Xmas at 38 weeks as to not interrupt anyone's vacations at the holidays. She was ok with that, but i was just horrified!!!!!!!!!!!!!! talk about convenience. (my cousin does not celebrate anything, so it had nothing to do with her and her Xmas!!!)

January 1st, 2009, 12:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I remember my mom mentioning this episode when it aired a little while ago and just her description of it made my blood boil. I have no desire to see the episode, I have a feeling I would be writing a letter to the producers long before it was over.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

January 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM
the whole show seems to be one huge fluff piece and is all about fear mongering. Like I said I don't normally watch tv during the day. When Cadie was first born and we were "building our nursing relationship" I would sit and watch tv. After a few weeks I noticed that I would feel agitated when the tv was on. And Cadie wouldn't relax while nursing either if the TV was on.

Jim Sears is one of the dudes, I am not a fan of with of the new Dr Sears'.... being such a fan of the original, it's just bizarre.
January 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I have seen the show a few times and they were always pretty cool about things. Like they did one on vaccinations. It wasn't pro or anti, it was pretty middle of the road. I am amazed the birht one is that off. Especially since Jim Sears' dad is pro midwives and such.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM
naysfirstbaby's Avatar Member
I would like a natural childbirth for my first pregnancy( even though Im 10 weeks) and anything could happen from here on out. I think women are thrown into what ever is convienant for the doctor(s). So that is what the show promotes, whatever your doctor says is truth. Boy what a farce!
I've watched the show three to four times and seen many topics on birth and vaccines for new borns. And both shows tried to act like they were open to boths sides of the story, but what I saw was the Doctors pandering to what the medical society wants not the mother, which is less time and more money for more unwanted medical or unneccesary services pushed on women, ugh..it makes me mad. Just not listening and saying there are too many risks is not enough for me , they are risks to everything in life, but we decide in the end. It shouldn't be them. Sometimes it's reason enough to find a new doctor.
I could go on and on, because it makes me so mad. But yeah, i try not to watch it, but sometimes I like to see whats going on in their heads, so I can prepare myself to become informed about it in the future.

Ob/gyn on Jan 7th, 09, no HB at 10 weeks
11 wks was diagnosed w/ blighted ovum
baby stopped developing at 7 1/2 wks
D & C on Jan 20th
Hoping to try again in 30 days!

[/i]</span></span></span></span>
January 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Quote:
I have seen the show a few times and they were always pretty cool about things. Like they did one on vaccinations. It wasn't pro or anti, it was pretty middle of the road. I am amazed the birht one is that off. Especially since Jim Sears' dad is pro midwives and such.[/b]
he kept trying to interject more positive comments, but kept getting talked over and ignored. It was really irritating.

January 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm watching it right now. You are right the other doctor seems much more positive, the female doc is very hard core!! You can tell she was brainwashed in medical school

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
I watched a bit again today while treadmilling at the gym. This show really is a piece of crap! They seem to do a lot of cosmetic surgery stuff. *insert fart noise here*
January 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I've never seen this show or even heard of it and I'm glad! What a load of crap! I would probably end up throwing my remote at the tv or something.

Cheryl, I hardly ever watch tv too during the day. I don't want B watching it and when he's awake he's always too active for me to watch anything anyway. I usually watch some of the shows I like online while he's napping if I have time.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
my favorite was when the chick doc said that 15% of babies of soldier distocia and get stuck and need to be surgically taken out.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
yeah, the shoulder disocia that often could be prevented by NOT being flat on your back

January 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
she annoys me. plus she has this whole paula abdul thing going on, ick.
January 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
lol I said soldier instead of shoulder!! oops!!
And yes I thought the same thing about being on the back. Granted I was on my back for Nihcole and the kid catapaulted out!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
*barf* I wont watch it.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search