I'm no longer breastfeeding

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
For a little over a month now I've only been breastfeeding B at morning and at bedtime and he seemed quite content with that. He was never one to request to nurse if it wasn't offered. During the past week or so before Christmas though he was nursing for extremely extended sessions (like 45 minutes or more if I'd let him) and it became really painful. It felt like he was chewing on me instead of sucking and it would bring me to tears at times. I was so scared to force him to stop nursing and the last thing I wanted was for him to be upset by it so I kept trying to deal with it thinking after a day or so he'd stop whatever he was doing that was hurting me. Then on Christmas night he was completely exhausted and I took him up to bed and actually forgot to offer to nurse him before rocking him and he never once fussed for it. He just let me rock him and went right off to sleep. He did nurse again in the morning but not the next night either. There was a day or two in there where he nursed both times again but it was the same painful way so a few nights ago I didn't offer again and he's doing fine with it. He never cries to nurse and he seems really happy. It breaks my heart because I really wanted to nurse him until he was 2 but I guess this was the way it was meant to be for him.

I'm really sad about it but at the same time I'm so proud of him. He's growing up so fast!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
aww honey, I'm sorry. Maybe he'll get back into it once your new guy comes along? Although they lose the reflex I think once they stop. HUGS.
January 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy

It sounds like he's probably ready, though, so don't feel bad. At least your boobs will get a break before the new baby comes along!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

January 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
and BTW, CONGRATS on a year plus! You rule!
January 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It definitely sounds like he was ready to stop. I'm sorry you're sad though. Way to go on nursing this long!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
aww he was ready to stop!! Hey I think I would have been a little sad to see Nichole wean just after a year.. but. I know for us we had the opposite. At a year we went to do't offer don't refuse. She nursed like your little man. Morning and night. I htought for sure she would wean!! Nope by 18 months she was nursing every hour!!! It was crzy. She never did that as a newborn, she nursed every 3 hours on a schedule. Hers not mine!! So I ended up having to schedule her at around 20 months or so. I let her nurse 3 times a day. Then slowly knocked them down. We dropped her last one at 22 months 2 days old. She never asked for it again!!! Well she did like 3 months later! lol I gave her regualr milk and she was fine!!

You did perfect and nursed him till he was ready to wean!!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 2nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks so much ladies. It's sad but I know he's done with it now. I took a shower this afternoon and kept him in the bathroom with me. When I was undressing he pointed at my boobs so I got down on the floor with him and he came towards my boob with an open mouth but then when he got there he shook his head and started playing with his toys. I guess he really was ready. *Sigh*

January 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
be proud not sad!!!! He weaned, he was not forced before he was ready!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 3rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
When I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter, I was still nursing her sister. When I was about 17 weeks pregnant, she stopped nursing. Kind of the same way you described. I asked about it and my MW said that the milk changes at about 4 months pregnant and a lot of babies just won't take it any more. She was 16 months when she weaned herself. The encouraging part is that my next baby (the one I was preggo with) nursed until she was 2 with out any problems!

I know what you mean about feeling sad though.

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

January 4th, 2009, 02:20 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awww. He really sounds like he was ready.

January 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
first off, congrats for going as long as you did!! that is an accomplishment within itself! !

but i have to agree with everyone else, it sounds like he was ready. dd did the same thing, only she was 17 months. i was ready to go the long haul with her and she up and self weaned like it was nothing. i was more heartbroken than her lol. so i totally get where you are coming from.

January 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dont be upset! Youve done a GREAT job for feeding him this long. And in a few months you'll be feeding your new baby.

January 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Honey, I'm sorry it saddens you a bit but you did great nursing him over a year. I'm so proud of you! He defintely seems ready to quit and maybe with you being pregnant it's just not the same for him anymore. But the wonderful thing is that HE chose it, leaving him content and happy to leave it behind. You are an awesome mommy!!!!!
January 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
whodatmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good job on nursing for so long. My first son weaned himself around 14 months. It was sad for me too. I can't imagine what it will be like when Ethan weans. He's the last baby I'll have unless I strike it rich and convince my dh otherwise. You should feel very proud of how long ou nursed. I hope you feel better soon. Big hugs...And WOW! I can't believe you are already 20 weeks!

January 6th, 2009, 06:08 AM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just have to start off by saying that given the fact I have never breastfed before (being pregnant with my first), I admire you for committing to breastfeeding this long. You're an inspiration.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time right now, but you have done all you can do and then some! Be proud!

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 6th, 2009, 06:25 AM
You ladies rock!! Thank you so much for all your support. *HUGS*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search