Tonight on 20/20 'Extreme Motherhood'

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Ree!'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thought I would give a heads up in case anyone wants to tune in. 20/20 is doing a new hour long special on 'Extreme Motherhood' at 10pm tonight on ABC. I quickly saw a preview for it showing the piece about women caring for pretend babies, but I have no idea what kind of positive or negative light they are going to shine on home birth etc..

TV Guides Description: A report on "extreme motherhood" explores home birthing, serial surrogacy (women repeatedly bearing other couple's babies), women caring for pretend babies, extended breast-feeding and making childbirth pleasurable.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
- Jimi Hendrix

January 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm definitely going to try to catch this. Thank you for letting us know! I would think by the title that it is not shining a particularly nice light on some of these things but we shall see.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
hmmm. i may DVR this for the treadmill!!!

We saw a whole documentary on BBC i think about women who had these creepy (very exensive and life like) fake babies and acted like they were real. It was quite disturbing. They would take them out to the park, etc and it just did not seem healthy. VERY interesting though. BBC has the best programming!

January 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I might have to DVR it, I wonder what they are going to say about some of these things.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

January 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I am already annoyed. I wonder if they will show that British woman that nursed her kids until 5 and 8. It really bothers me that home birth and wackos who think dolls are real are being lumped together.
January 2nd, 2009, 03:11 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to watch it or at least DVR it Thanks for the heads up!
January 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I may DVR it, I don't think I'm emotionally prepared to watch it right now. But it really sounds interesting.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Ree!'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I am already annoyed. I wonder if they will show that British woman that nursed her kids until 5 and 8. It really bothers me that home birth and wackos who think dolls are real are being lumped together. [/b]

I agree - when I first saw that these topics were lumped together, I was irritated. Unfortunately, western culture has made the idea of a home birth as being 'extreme' and somewhat 'taboo' for alot of women out there still. I've had people look at me like I had spontaneously grown a third eyeball at the mere mention of choosing a birth center over my OB.

I'm not expecting for a flood of women to have any sort of epiphany after watching, but maybe a few shreds of truth will come through. (Maybe!)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
- Jimi Hendrix

January 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
lol I agree the crzy baby people and home births are kinda different. Oh well

I guess I have it good, no one bats an eye lash when I say I am going to a BC. Some ask me some questions, but out of pure interest not like "what are you thinking!!??" My dad is the best though, he asks all the time "so you won't see a doctor?" I tell him no and he just says, well you know what you are doing, and leave it at taht

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 2nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
well the first part seemed okay to me. Heck orgasmic birth is very unusual. Not weird, but not common either I guess. Though lumping them with the crazy doll ladies is still trippy!
The breastfeeding part is next and so far it looks like its gonna be the extreme of nursing your kids at 10, kinda thing. I hope they actually talk about something good.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, the first part was really good. I think that they did a good job of portraying that birth can be an amazing experience and even talked about the negatives of being in the hospital, etc. So if they start talking negatively about home births later in the show they will really contradict themselves. My friend has had several orgasmic births, and I would definitely love to see the documentary.

I'm all for nursing, and even tandem nursing. But I just can't get past this part of the show! Some of this is just WEIRD!

I'm anxious to see how it plays out.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I loved the orgasmic birth part but the doll ladies were wacky! I liked hearing that the average weaning age for breastfeeding is 4, although it did seem a bit odd to me to be nursing a 9 year old. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all, it's just not for me, kwim?

I'm watching the home birth part now. Can't wait to see how it finishes up.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I liked how it showed the interviewer having 2 natural births. I wish they would have elaborated a little more on the pros of NCB but Ill take what I can get. And I wish they would have showed some women that have had NCB without the whole orgasmic experience but then again it was "extreme motherhood".

I didnt get to see the end because Dh acted like I was pushing it just watching the NCB part. I did catch some of the doll ladies though.... WTH was that about?

Anyway I was really excited to see it. I think NCB is making a comeback.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 2nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
DH and I caught the 2nd half of this. We saw the surrogates and the home birth moms. I was actually surprised that the home birth segment was as positive as it was. They made it sound like a real option not just some hippie fringe thing.

The surrogates, were a bit mixed.

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

January 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wasn't disappoined by the homebirth part, but they could have gone more into the stats of safety They made the blanket statement of "the safest place to give birth is in a hospital" says who and waht patients? I mean sure if you are high risk, then the hosptial is better. BUT midwives can sure deliver more babies without medical interventions like c-sections, vacuums and forceps then a hospital can. Its weird like that!! lol

Nursing till 9 is a bit extreme, so I get that being in there, the dolls are still creapy though!!!! lol I don't know if its wrong not for me... but where is that line? I mean I am only comfortable to nurse till 2, but I don't see it wrong at 3 either. Just not for me.. so who am I to decide where that age line is?

The 2 surragates, one seemed normal to me, like she was doing it fo rlove, the other seemed weird. Not sure why though

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 3rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We watched it an I was a little disappointed that they only talked about NCB for about 15 minutes and made it out like NCB doesn't give a woman a choice. I was talking smack to the tv the entire time, lol!
I was less interested in the interviews with the people who nursed till 9, just because I think it was a stupid way to give breastfeeding attention. And the segment on the ladies that carry the babies around that ost $1400...a little weird. I find myself irritated with most television though, so this is nothing new.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

January 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
OMG! I was talking about this show with one of my patients this morning. I cannot wait to see it the next time i am on the treadmill!!! That is where i do most my tv watching My patient was out at a pizza place with her two friends and a total of 7 children. A woman walked in with a baby carrier and my patient made a BIG FUSS about moving her kids out of the way and making sure this woman was ok and asked her if they were being too loud, etc. A little while later, my patient looks and the baby is FAKE!!!!! Her friend asks her what is wrong and she says to go look at the baby and they were just flabbergasted. I think it was just upsetting to them that they were making all these special preparations and whatnot for a FAKE baby. She was just in shock. There is a whole hour long documentary on BBC about the dolls, very interesting if you can get to watch it.

As far as breast feeding, I do not know where the line is. We were at a party a few years ago and this boy, probably around 6 years old, kept running into where the adults were, running over to his mother sitting on a chair, lifting up her shirt and taking a suck for a minute or two and running away, inbetween playing with other kids and eating mac n cheese and hot dogs. It happened probably 5-6 times during the party. It was very awkward for most of the people there. I can understand breastfeeding for comfort to help sleep, etc, and to bond one on one, but at a party? it just seemed a little awkward to me.

January 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I kinda feel the sme way. I mean we weaned right before 2, so it wasn't that old, but even at 15 months, Nichole knew she was not allowed to lift my shirt up, she would lay down in my arms and say "nurse please" we never really did it outside of the house though, she was just too busy to stop and play like that. If we were in a place that it was not needed at that moment, I would offer her a drink and say "in a bit you can" and even a a young age, she was fine with getting that.

but.. to each is own I guess

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 4th, 2009, 06:42 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I thought the show was pretty positive overall!

January 5th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I finally got around to watching it on the treadmill this morning. I thought the whole program was good. I did not think the fake babies really fit with the other themes, but oh well. The breastfeeding segment was done exceptionally well, and was overall very positive while dealing with something quite controversial. I thought it was VERY interesting that the average weening age in the WORLD is 4 years old! The orgasmic birth portion was great, and i really need to find a way to see this documentary! I do feel that most people who are not of our frame of mind are going to totally dismiss the orgasmic birth as a hippie or crazy thing, unfortunately. The surrogacy was interesting. I have no issue with surrogates, or even "serial surrogates" as i have met many thru my job. I did find it odd that the english woman did "home inseminations" etc. I wonder if they use lawyers, etc with her surrogacy agreements. I know women in the US, who even those who use their best friends, still go thru a lawyer. The home birth/natural birth segment was not bad, but I wish they would have mentioned that the rest of the world has majority natural births and some countries majority home births and also discuss the abnormally high c-section rates in the US.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search