Cold medicines?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
DH and MIL are swearing by the nasal spray method for sinus congestion. DH bought some Zicam No Drip Liquid Nasal Gel Extreme Congestion Relief with Aloe Vera. I was wondering what you ladies had heard about taking it during pregnancy. I know that I can take Robotussin DM but that doesn't really do much for clearing up clogged sinuses which is my main problem right now.

I called my GP doctors office to see what they said, and they said that because she is no longer my Prenatal care provider, that I should call the BC (BTW I waited 2.5 hours for that answer!). So I called the BC and their normal office hours are only Monday-Thursday and then there is an answering service for urgent calls, and for non-urgent things you can leave a message and they will call you back on the next business day. I'm a little frustrated at the fact that I can't get a simple answer to a simple question about a nasal spray..... I was hoping that you ladies may have some answers for me?

Thanks!

January 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I would call a pharmacy.. They will know. Also you can look at www.safefetus.com They have tons of drugs on there.

I am not sure, I know you can take Sudafed though. I also have a heaf cold right now and the up down temp. It sucks, it goes from 100 down to 97 so I am constantly sweating! UHG!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 3rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Ree!'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd just use a simple saline spray - but then again I'm not positive about the one you picked up. (Not sure of the ingredients) I just got over a cold that lasted 5 days, and on the 3rd day of no sleep because I couldnt breathe, I took 25mg of Diphenhydramine aka Benadryl (recommended dose is 50mg) and the half dose worked wonders for me. If you are going to go the Sudafed route, make sure you get regular Sudafed - no DM or anything like that. Hope you feel better soon.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
- Jimi Hendrix

January 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
I did take a half dose of Sudafed, it helped long enough for me to get in a nap while Nicholas took his nap. But now I'm back to what I was at before. The entire right side of my head is one huge ball of pressure. From what I've read Zicam is just a homeopathic remedy made out of Zinc. But everything that I have read about taking it during pregnancy is half good/half bad, which is why I haven't taken it. Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to take NyQuil right now!!

January 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
i hope you feel better asap! everyone else gave great advice so i have nothing to add, just wanted to send my well wishes.

January 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
well since then I had my husband ask a pharmacist and he told them I was in the 1st trimester almost 2nd. The guy told him to give me these drugs and even said they were class C drugs. Then told my husband that Class C were safe for pregnant people. Sure they are if you are REALLY sick.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Wanna hear something odd/funny?

My GP's office called me today around lunchtime, and said that since there isn't any real knowledge about use of the medicine during pregnancy that it would probably be best not to take it.

I'm so confused right now....

January 5th, 2009, 03:36 PM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This might sound strange, but I swear by my Neti Pot. I don't know how I ever got along without it! Since becoming pregnant, I have been slightly congested 24/7. Since using my Neti Pot, I no longer have any nasal congestion. Its a saline sinus flush. It sounds strange, but doing it once or twice a day helps with sinus congestion, it help you fight off a cold/ flu, and helps prevent you from getting one in the first place. I'm now a Neti Pot pusher, and bought everyone in my family...and my boss at work one for Christmas. Its worth checking out. And I also found out that there is not enough concrete research done on the effects of menthol consumption during pregnancy, and that pregnant women should avoid anything with menthol (like cough drops!).

Ok...now for the pushing part...google the Neti Pot. You'll see why its so wonderful! You can buy them at the drug store.

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search