Learned a LOT this weekend.

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I was in the hospital this weekend...If you want to read the whole big long thing here's the link...but it's long and gross....My trip to L&D

So here's the silver lining on this horrible experiance...I learned a lot of things about my hospital, the on call doctors of my OB/Midwife's office and the L&D nurses:

1. Hospital beds are the worst possible things imaginable during contractions of any kind.
2. The EFM is non negotiable (according to the nurses) and highly uncomfortable.
3. They believe the monitor more than you, and if the monitor isn't showing contractions it doesn't matter how much you scream cry or beg them to pay attention, you must not be having contractions.
4. An IV is also a non negotiable...and they look sternly at you like you are five years old when telling you this.
5. The doctor is non existant and again...pays more attention to the monitor that's WRONG than you.
6. Birth plans were invented by people "who had no idea how labor and delivery worked or had at least never worked there before...are completely useless."
7. The only type of information a woman giving birth should know is her pain medication options.
8. When you are in pain, or not feeling good, you don't even care for a second what people do to you as long as they fix it.
9. I can't go home until 2 whole days after I've had a normal vaginal delivery.
10. If I relaxed enough to where I was more comfortable the EFM would start dinging becuase my heart rate was "to low". Now tell me, how is this going to help me relax during delivery?? Especially when there isn't anything I can do to turn the darn buzzer off.

Now what scares me in all of this is that the nurses I had were both super nice nurses, and the doctor that was on call was one I had seen before and liked because she hadn't immediatly dismissed my checking in on BH's during my regular check up. Also, I gained all of this extra information by asking one simple question..."The hospital website and all of books tell you to have a birth plan, but I've heard a lot of labor and delivery nurses don't like them..." at which point I was interrupted by the nurse and her answer.

It also frustrates me that despite having regular contractions on the monitor prior to the drip I was never once checked internally to see if these were doing anything. And...shhh...don't tell them, but the only way my contractions showed on the monitor at all was becuase I moved the monitor lower on my stomach where my uterus is still located. I wish I could have moved the monitor to my back when they moved back there.

So, I'm left pretty confused. On one hand I firmly feel like that just becuase I want a NCB doesn't mean I should have to be ostracized into a birth center...this is nothing against birth centers at all, it's really just the principle of the thing. I also feel like having a NCB in a hospital should be obtainable for me, especially since my mom did it 8 times with an OB in a regular hospital. But on the other hand, I don't want to be stupid and go to a hospital just becuase I feel like I should be able to...after all, this really isn't about me is it? lol. I also really like and trust my midwife, who would be delivering me (barring her not being available, in which they do have a back up midwife for people who have requested a midwife assisted delivery).
I did research and found a birth center that's super close to where I'll be when I deliver...it would be a lot more inconvienant for appointments but it looks really nice and I can go home a couple hours after I deliver. Plus they have big huge tubs in each room, which honestly, water on my belly and back was like instant pain relief from the contractions I was having so water is def appealing to me more.

So I'm kind of...lost...if it wasn't for my midwife I would be leaving in a millisecond...so I guess the question is, "Is having a great relationship with a primary provider you trust worth more than having an environment where you are free to birth your baby instead of having your baby delivered?"

January 5th, 2009, 07:46 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Wow. What a post. I am having a hard time digesting all of that. My friend went in to labor and never once registered on the contraction monitor and they never believed her until the baby was basically hanging out of her. What a crock of crap.

As far as your options. If it was me, I would do one of two things. Hire a doula in addition to the midwife to ensure you have another voice for you in the hospital. Or switch to the birth center. My birth center is not convenient by any means to me, but in the long run, the environment is the only place i know i will feel comfortable giving birth, unless, of course there is a medical emergency, in which case, it is a block from the hospital.

January 5th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
wow, I am with mgm, that is a lot. I think you are the only one who can make this decision. I think you need to decide what is more importnant to you. For me, its easy, I would choose the birthing center, but I am not you. My BC is about an hour drive with no traffic, 1 1/2 with possibly longer (my labor with Nichole was 2 1/2 hours start to finish)I have a great brand new hospital less then 5 minutes from my house. BUT I did the hospital thing before and well.. BC for me

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would say run from the hospital. Even though you love your midwife like you said there is no guarantee that you will get her. I would say that you could definately succeed in a NCB at a hosptial but the particular hospital you are going to doesnt sound like they will help you in any way. But at the end of the day you should choose what you feel most comfortable with. If you are more comfortable with the hospital then stay there but you know what you are up against so prepare yourself. Either way I wish you the best of luck!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 6th, 2009, 10:00 AM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
Here my experience. WIth my last baby, I had a midwife I thought was great and went to the local hospital to have my baby. When I got there, it turned out to be exactly what you described. I ended up giving in to an epidural which I'm still ticked off about! I wasn't allowed out of my bed. I wasn't allowed food or drink. The pain was very hard to manage because I couldn't just respond to it in a natural way.

IMO, the environment that you feel you can birth in a relaxed manor is more important. Other than that, I agree with mgm, hire a doula if you are going to be at the hospital and make sure she is someone who is willing to go toe to toe with the hospital staff so you are free to just labor!

I went out of hospital this time. My prenatal care is with a birth center and will deliver there as soon as this baby decides to celebrate his birthday! I'll let you know how it goes once it happens!

GL!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

January 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
"On one hand I firmly feel like that just because I want a NCB doesn't mean I should have to be ostracized into a birth center...this is nothing against birth centers at all, it's really just the principle of the thing."

I guess I am a little confused by this statement. Why do you feel like going to a BC is being ostracized? I see birthing centers as a wonderful and freeing choice, not as second best. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this.
January 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Quote:
"On one hand I firmly feel like that just because I want a NCB doesn't mean I should have to be ostracized into a birth center...this is nothing against birth centers at all, it's really just the principle of the thing."

I guess I am a little confused by this statement. Why do you feel like going to a BC is being ostracized? I see birthing centers as a wonderful and freeing choice, not as second best. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this.[/b]

I love that there are birth centers available, and I really like how they are set up and run....especially when compared to a hospital. I don't view them as a second best, it's really nothing against birth centers it's irritation with the hospital...becuase in order for me, as a paying consumer to have a NICU two steps from my door I am forced to comply with a certain "way" of doing things...ways that aren't compatible with how a normal birth should go. If I want to deivate and assert my patient rights while still mainting direct supervision by an OB and that stupid NICU two steps away I am labeled, laughed at and made to feel so bad about my choice that I turn and run for the alternative that's going to respect my wishes. Birth centers are just as safe if not safer than hospitals (especially under certain circusmtances in birth) but I'm still being forced to choose between something instead of having all options open to me. Does that make any sense? I guess I feel like it's my right to be respected in my decision to have a natural childbirth no matter where I go, and I hate that in order to have that right respected I'm basically thrown out of the place where most people do go and give birth.
Like I said...it's not something that's against birth centers, or homebirth for that matter...I'm hoping that after this first one DH will be more comfortable with the idea of a homebirth (or at the very least a birth center) but it's like all those shows on Discovery and crap...why am I being forced to be labeled "extreme" becuase the norm won't respect my rights as a birthing mother?

It irritates me enough that I'm almost tempted to go the hospital and just make everyone's life there a living hell in order to get what I want...of course them loosing money from me going to a birth cetner would prb do the same thing with less damage to me. lol.

Oh I figured I'd add what I think I'm going to do...I'm have an appointment next week with my midwife so I'm going to discuss with her what specifically her role in delivering would be, and really kind of get a plan from her as to how to appropriatly deal with hospital staff about this stuff. If she can give me straight, solid answers and be insistant that I get to birth the way I want to, I'll stay with the hospital, mostly becuase DH is really much more comfortable there. (I realize I'm the one giving birth but his wishes do mean a lot in all of this). I did find a birth center that I really like and if I'm around for baby number 2 will prb use once DH feels better about using one...or I'll actively press DH to let me switch if the conversation with my midwife doesn't go well next week.
January 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow...that was quite the post! I hear what you're saying about some hospitals though. I think that the decision about which is most important is one that only you can make. I feel that giving birth in the most relaxing atmosphere would be the ideal.

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Wow...that was quite the post! I hear what you're saying about some hospitals though. I think that the decision about which is most important is one that only you can make. I feel that giving birth in the most relaxing atmosphere would be the ideal.[/b]
I've been storing it all up, it's my NCB vent.
January 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I get what you are saying. I don't want to make this about me, but I will reference my story because it's what I know best.

my husband has an MD- he's not an official practicing doc- he has done all kinds of research and marketing and teaching for a very large company we all know. When I got pregnant he suggested I get a section to avoid incontinence problems. I started to lean towards a natural birth and was not happy with the OB office I was at. I also started hearing stories about the hospital that the office delivered at- none were good. I mentioned to my regular doc that I was thinking of a smaller, quieter hospital. Her response was "well, the NICU is at that hospital, so if anything happens, you will be apart" I kept this in mind and repeated this to the Doula I hired the first time I spoke to her. She asked me if I planned on needing the NICU. She said why choose based on fear and "what ifs" and that really hit home with me. There were no BCs where I lived then, but I did end up switching practices and gave birth in a small quiet hospital- totally spontaneously and without intervention of any kind. We took classes given by our doula and she really changed my husbands mindset regarding birth. He's now more gung-ho about having our next at home than I am!

what I am trying to say is:

a- if you really want to trust birth, you can't base your decisions on the NICU. It will still be there in the *very small* chance you need it. But don't give in to those thoughts. Fear is like anything else, it grows when it's fed.
b- being at a birth center (as you said) is just as safe as a hospital. The thing that most people don't understand that if a true emergency comes up- such as needing a real emergency c-section, you don't get that section minutes after they declare it. They still have to set up the room, scrub in, prep etc. If transfer is needed, they alert the hospital and they prep while you are on the way. No time is really lost, as BC's are very close to hospitals.
c- if you think the bed is uncomfortable during contractions, try getting rest after labor in one. OH MY GOD. I spent one night and got the heck out of there asap. And came home with a cold which took a week to get over, then my husband and daughter got it.
d- husbands can turn around!

January 6th, 2009, 03:18 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very well said Cheryl, especially about how fear can grow when fed and decisions should not be made based on those fears.

Sarah, I totally understand what you are saying about not having all of your options at a hospital. My DH comments all of the time that if women got the care they wanted that they get at a BC at a hospital, the BC wouldn't be needed.

I know you may really like your midwife and not want to change because of that, but your birth experience is more than just about your midwife. Granted it's a very important part, especially for achieivng NCB, but if the hopsital policies won't allow your wonderful midwife to care for you in the way you need to be cared for to achieve NCB, then you might want to think of switching over to that BC. You just need to decide what's important to you and what you think you will need to be successful. Perhaps having that burning desire to piss of the hospital staff will push you to have a successful NCB. Or maybe you need a more serene and supportive environment. Only you know.

Good luck in whatever you decide. You know we'll all support your NCB success no matter where it happens. Because it surely can happen at a hospital, BC or at home. The common denominator is you.
January 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
have you toured and had an orientation at the birth center? if not, i would have you and your DH go. DH was supremely impressed at ours and declared that he could not see me giving birth any where else!

January 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Quote:
I get what you are saying. I don't want to make this about me, but I will reference my story because it's what I know best.

my husband has an MD- he's not an official practicing doc- he has done all kinds of research and marketing and teaching for a very large company we all know. When I got pregnant he suggested I get a section to avoid incontinence problems. I started to lean towards a natural birth and was not happy with the OB office I was at. I also started hearing stories about the hospital that the office delivered at- none were good. I mentioned to my regular doc that I was thinking of a smaller, quieter hospital. Her response was "well, the NICU is at that hospital, so if anything happens, you will be apart" I kept this in mind and repeated this to the Doula I hired the first time I spoke to her. She asked me if I planned on needing the NICU. She said why choose based on fear and "what ifs" and that really hit home with me. There were no BCs where I lived then, but I did end up switching practices and gave birth in a small quiet hospital- totally spontaneously and without intervention of any kind. We took classes given by our doula and she really changed my husbands mindset regarding birth. He's now more gung-ho about having our next at home than I am!

what I am trying to say is:

a- if you really want to trust birth, you can't base your decisions on the NICU. It will still be there in the *very small* chance you need it. But don't give in to those thoughts. Fear is like anything else, it grows when it's fed.
b- being at a birth center (as you said) is just as safe as a hospital. The thing that most people don't understand that if a true emergency comes up- such as needing a real emergency c-section, you don't get that section minutes after they declare it. They still have to set up the room, scrub in, prep etc. If transfer is needed, they alert the hospital and they prep while you are on the way. No time is really lost, as BC's are very close to hospitals.
c- if you think the bed is uncomfortable during contractions, try getting rest after labor in one. OH MY GOD. I spent one night and got the heck out of there asap. And came home with a cold which took a week to get over, then my husband and daughter got it.
d- husbands can turn around![/b]
I'm not really worried about the NICU thing at all...it's just that I want to have all those options still open to me based on principle....if that makes sense, like when I picked this hospital (well...I didn't pick it, when I learned the hospital my midwife delivered in) I didn't even know if it had a NICU and to be honest I didn't care...INOVA's right down the street so diddly winks if this place doesn't have one....but I want to have the same "birthing rights" as everyone else who wants a medicated birth or a c section.

I do hope my husband will turn around eventually...he's come a long way already but I think I've hit the wall with him on this pregnancy. He just has (or had) a totally different view of birth...basically trusts doctor's no matter what. I had him read the thinking woman's guide and now he's like "no epi for you!" lol.
January 6th, 2009, 06:52 PM
See, I look at having a NCB at a birth center as a privilege

January 6th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i agree with cheryl, especially about the fear issue. i did give birth in a hospital completely naturally, but i wasn't checked out until i spent one night and that night was horrible. all the private rooms for post-partum (they move you from L&D to a different wing after birth at my hospital) were taken so i had to share a room. there was no space for DH to sleep, so he was in a chair the whole night. the other woman and her husband had relatives visiting the entire night and they kept accidentally pulling open our curtains and it was just really annoying.

January 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I just realized you are from my part of the country! Do you mind if I ask which hospital and BC you are considering? My last 2 babies were born in Maryland. One at Bay Area Midwifery (LOVED IT!!) and one at Howard County (HATED IT). We researched hospitals and BC's forever.

I totally get what you are saying about the hospital. And you are right. I guess I never thought of it that way. It should be that we can walk in and have the birth we want. Unfortunately, it isn't and that leaves the responsibility on us to figure out where and how to have that experience. I do think that it is possible in a hospital, it's just a lot harder. You have to spend energy to defend your choices when that energy is really needed on labor. I will caution you that I've had MWs with my last 2 babies. The one I had at the hospital turned out to be a "med" wife once labor hit! She starpped me to the monitor, stuck an IV in my arm and directed the nurses to keep me in bed for 30 minutes (I was GBS +). Anyway, I didn't see her again for almost 2 hours and the stupid nurses just follow orders. I was so MAD!!! Then everytime someone saw me, they asked "are you ready for your epidural now?". Sadly, I did cave after 4 hours of laboring like that. 20 minutes after my epi, my daughter was born. I was so upset when I realized that I caved right when I was about to deliver!! Noone even checked to see if I was close to pushing! I would say that I could have a NCB in a hospital but you really have to know your stuff, you have to be prepared to demand things, and simply say no to things. You are the consumer not the jailhouse resident. Noone can actually force anything on you. But, then you are "that patient".

I hope your talk with your MW goes well! My DH was the same as yours until I just insisted. Once he got all of his safety questions answered by the BC, he's been fine with it. I think the men just need to know that they can still protect us and the babies if necessary.

GL!!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

January 7th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Quote:
I just realized you are from my part of the country! Do you mind if I ask which hospital and BC you are considering? My last 2 babies were born in Maryland. One at Bay Area Midwifery (LOVED IT!!) and one at Howard County (HATED IT). We researched hospitals and BC's forever.

I totally get what you are saying about the hospital. And you are right. I guess I never thought of it that way. It should be that we can walk in and have the birth we want. Unfortunately, it isn't and that leaves the responsibility on us to figure out where and how to have that experience. I do think that it is possible in a hospital, it's just a lot harder. You have to spend energy to defend your choices when that energy is really needed on labor. I will caution you that I've had MWs with my last 2 babies. The one I had at the hospital turned out to be a "med" wife once labor hit! She starpped me to the monitor, stuck an IV in my arm and directed the nurses to keep me in bed for 30 minutes (I was GBS +). Anyway, I didn't see her again for almost 2 hours and the stupid nurses just follow orders. I was so MAD!!! Then everytime someone saw me, they asked "are you ready for your epidural now?". Sadly, I did cave after 4 hours of laboring like that. 20 minutes after my epi, my daughter was born. I was so upset when I realized that I caved right when I was about to deliver!! Noone even checked to see if I was close to pushing! I would say that I could have a NCB in a hospital but you really have to know your stuff, you have to be prepared to demand things, and simply say no to things. You are the consumer not the jailhouse resident. Noone can actually force anything on you. But, then you are "that patient".

I hope your talk with your MW goes well! My DH was the same as yours until I just insisted. Once he got all of his safety questions answered by the BC, he's been fine with it. I think the men just need to know that they can still protect us and the babies if necessary.

GL!![/b]
Thanks for sharing! I'm currently set to deliver at Virginia Hospital Center (in Arlington) the birth center I found was in Arnold (Special beginnings I think?) I'll have to look up the Bay Area Midwifery!!
January 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought of all these great thigns to say, but they were already said.

I did deliver close to naturally twice. The first time was more natural in that i had no interventions and no pain meds. I did have an US about 2 seconds before she was born because they wanted to make sure she hadn't reverted to a breech position. But, they didn't listen to me, and thought I was kidding when I said she was coming. THey rusehd me from triage to delivery and she wa sborn 3 minutes after I got into the room. I was still in my clothes and they didn't have time to break down the bed...it was great. The second, I thought I had choosen wisely, boy was i mistaken. The doc pushed the epi and questioned my desire to go med free. He coerced me into allowing him to rupture my membranes, put an internal monitor on the baby without my consent. He then decided I was not progressing and insisted on pitocin, which I agreed to ONLY because I knew real labor had finally begun and the baby would be there soon. She was born just 45 minutes after the first drip of pit went in, so I am fraily certain it wasn't what made her come, yeah maybe it would ahve taken 2 hours, but still it was imminent.

Just be careful. In my opinion having a support staff that is like minded is more important than hainvg a good doctor, or midwife. Unless she gaurantees that she will be with you the entire time, you can't be certain she will be there to defend your choices and protect you from the OB's.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Just be careful. In my opinion having a support staff that is like minded is more important than hainvg a good doctor, or midwife. Unless she gaurantees that she will be with you the entire time, you can't be certain she will be there to defend your choices and protect you from the OB's.[/b]

Well she will be handling all aspects of my delivery, I requested a midwife assisted delivery so instead of getting an on call doctor out of the practice, I get her..or if she's out of town I get a back up midwife...which I'm more than happy rolling the dice on a midwife versus an on call doctor.
I will have to find out how much she is around during the laboring process. I like her so much becuase she's sooo straightforward and business like and I really trust her decisions with things. Ughhh...tradeoffs. lol.

My concern is the nurses...but I'm thinking a doula could solve that problem. hmmm...
January 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my first 2 babies in hospital (I am in Canada, so it might be different), I hired a doula who recommended a DR. who was for natural and water births (she didnt do them really because not many women were interested but she was willing) so I went with that Dr.
There was a chance that different dr. from her practice might deliver, but I guess I was lucky that both times I had MY dr. (I kind of knew I would have her!! LOL) deliver the babies. So the worst thing after coming to hospital was the monitor they had to put on my belly for I think 10 minutes, once that was done I could do anything I wanted, I went into the tub, walked the hallways, had NO IV, no drugs, I ate and drunk (juice LOL) during the labour, Dr. ended up breaking water almost at the end because I was stuck at 8cm for about 10 hours and I had enough pretty much, my membranes were very very thick (all 4 babies so far had water broken at the end by Dr. or midwife, I almost think that I would deliver them in bag of water, they all always say how thick my membranes were LOL) I had GBS and had no antibiotics for it (both first 2 babies), I had a great nurse that was soo sorry she had to leave , my labour wat quite long, so I had new nurse for delivery but who cares. Anyway this first nurse came to visit me next day, because she just wanted to see the baby LOL. Ohhh and I was asked during the labour if they could bring students in (my birth plan said specifically NOT TO THAT!!) because they NEVER seen a woman birthing naturally!!! I allowed one student (because my Dr. was just awesome!)
So I have to say that here you can have birth you want even in the hospital (but only if you educate yourself ahead of time and are not intimidated by the surroundings)
and yes the worst part was staying in hospital for 3 days (with 1st baby), because nurses kept coming in and out (we had private room with double bed where DH slept with me too) and thought they can take baby whenever they wanted LOL, I guess they dont deal with my kind of women very often LOL, I got mad at them, and told them that they WERE NOT going to take that baby from my room at any time !! LOL
with my second (she was born before midnight) we stayed till morning and then left, if she was born different time of the day, I would have stayed only 4 hours after the birth.

I ended up havin 2 homebirths after that (with the same doula who was my midwife for last 2 and this baby too), I pretty much say I CAN NOT have babies without this woman!! lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search