New to this board

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello all, my name is Shanna and I'm currently expecting my first little bean. I have been reading through all of the birth stories on this board, and thought as I am planning on having a natural childbirth, this board would be a great place to get tips and share in your experiences.

A little about me, I'm 28 and work for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. I am not a police office though...I work on a project team. I'm currently somewhere between 18 and 19 weeks pregnant. My ultrasound put part of the baby back a few days, and some of the measurements were ahead up to a week. I'm still going with June 1st as my EDD. I am currently with a midwife, and have been in contact with a wonderful doula as well. I am not sure if I will need the services of the doula however, as the midwife will be by my side the whole time. I am planning to give birth in the hospital, as this is my first child and I think I would feel more comfortable there.

I am an animal lover and have two dogs, 3 cats, and a parrot. We will have quite the houseful once the baby arrives! I really look forward to getting to know you all better. I used to be the co-host of the TTC#1 board before getting pregnant, and am still very active in their Grads forum, however look forward to also meeting all of you and exploring a new board.

So hello to all, and happy New Year! If you have any questions about me...ask away!

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Shanna and congrats on your first! It's great that you joined us. Can you tell us what sparked your interest in NCB? How have you been feeling? Is the baby starting to move around alot that you can feel now?
January 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
noworries
Congrats Shanna! Glad you've joined us. I'm Carrie (28), wife to Aaron (almost 32), and mommy to Eva Grace who just turned 1 year old on Dec. 30th. I had her in a hospital and had a completely med-free birth using hypnobirthing.
January 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hi ShaunaÖgood questions! There are numerous reasons I have decided on a natural childbirth. These are just my views and opinions though. The main reason is that I think childbirth is beautiful. The way our bodies operate to give birth amazes me, and I donít want to do anything to interfere with something my body is perfectly capable of doing on its own. Thatís what the female body is built to do! Secondly I want to feel my baby coming out. I want to be aware of everything that my body is doing. I know that may sound crazy to some people, but this is something I will only experience one or twice in my life, and I donít want anything to interfere with my magical experience. Another reason is recovery time. I have read many studies that show natural child birth in most cases leads to a faster recovery. There are so many other reasons as well, but those are the main ones. Of course there are other more trivial reasons like not wanting to be numb from the waist down and bed-ridden for my entire labour. I figure if my grandmother could do it 3 times naturally, so can I!

As for how Iím feeling, at this very moment Iím feeling great. I am starting to have a harder time sleeping as I seem to be up more often throughout the night to use the washroom. Iím also having a hard time falling asleep. Aside from that one complain, I am no longer having morning sickness, I have more energy, and LOVE feeling my baby moving! I havenít yet felt any really hard kicks, but I definitely feel movement. He or she loves to distract me at work by moving around while Iím in meetings...its makes me giggle inside!

How about you, are you expecting? If so is this your first? What has drawn you to NCB? Your wedding pictures are gorgeous. I also got married on the beach, but in Jamaica!

January 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
welcome, I'm Cheryl co-host here, and mommy to Acadia who turns 1 this weekend. Thanks for joining us!
January 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome! I'm cheryl, and I'm a doula. My 2 cents on doulas with midwives- there is plenty for us to do! I never feel redundant, and I know me beither there has been beneficial for the Mom's I've supported. Especially in very early labor, when your midwife may not be available (she may have other clients to look after, or such), or if you have a long labor, then your M/w and doula can switch off to get some rest. Also durring 2nd and 3rd stages (pushing/birth) your midwife will be to busy to hold your hand of wipe your brow, and DH will probably be to distracted!

January 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Shanna, I feel exactly as you do about the reasons for NCB. The more I learn about pregnancy and birth, the more amazed I am about women's bodies and the birth process. The weaker vessel? I don't think so! We are truly awesome creatures.

I am currently TTC with my first. I always had an interest in waterbirths and a little over a year ago I really started researching birth (I'm an obsessive researcher by nature). NCB has inspired me so much that I'm planning on becoming a doula and helping other women get the support they need for NCB and for birth in general. I really want to inspire women to trust birth, trust their bodies, and really believe in and experience the magic of it all, no matter how they choose to birth but especially for those who want NCB.

I'm really glad you are here among us. I've gotten so much support and wisdom from these ladies. They are all truly inspirational! It's a great community of women. A friend of mine just gave birth at home and commented on how she loved the community of women who were her birth team (midwife, assistant midwife and doula). It's easy for women to get catty, and when planning an NCB you often feel like an outsider without support. So this community of women is invaluable to me and I hope it will be for you as well.

By the way.......Happy Birthday Eva and pre-Happy Birthday to Cadie too!
January 5th, 2009, 11:52 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Hi Shanna!!!

Missed seeing you around for a while, are you in the May DDC or still with June? Glad to see the pregnancy is going well for you so far. I am excited that you are chosing NCB and a birth with a midwife and a doula.

I am at a birth center and love it there. I have met three or four midwives so far and love them all i cannot imagine doing it any other way.

January 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Hi Shanna!!!

Missed seeing you around for a while, are you in the May DDC or still with June? Glad to see the pregnancy is going well for you so far. I am excited that you are chosing NCB and a birth with a midwife and a doula.

I am at a birth center and love it there. I have met three or four midwives so far and love them all i cannot imagine doing it any other way.[/b]
Hey!! I was in the May DDC for a while, then my EDD changed by a few days so I switched to the June DDC. But to be honest, aside from lurking the odd time to check-up on a few people, I don't really post much on my DDC. I am usually on the TTC#1 Grad forum. How has your pregnancy been so far? How are you feeling? Its so great to see you here!

January 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
the first 13+ weeks SUCKED, but I am feeling better. I wondered where you were! Now I know I can find you here My baby bump is growing by the minute and it is really exciting. I have not had any definitive baby movements yet, but hopefully sooner than later. I may feel some things, but never sure quite what i am feeling. Could just be gas

January 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm looking forward to getting to know you! I'm Jennifer (26) and I recently had a m/c. DF and I are taking a break from TTC and we're NTNP for a few months while we plan our wedding.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11), Caleb (8/6/12) and Carson (10/14/14)Expecting #4 February 2017!!!
Life As We Know It
January 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Thank-you all so much for the warm welcome. I feel at home here already! You are all so friendly and warm.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search