DDC vent

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2009, 07:10 AM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
In my DDC a first time mom posts a question about what labor is really like. She's interested in a natural birth and a little nervous about how much pain she'll be in. The moms who responded were all like "it's horrible pain" "it is unbearable", "and you can't prepare yourself for the pain". WTH!! Yes, labor hurts but you can absolutely be prepared!

I get that natural birth isn't for everyone. That's fine. I just get so ticked off when those people try to talk someone out of it. She hasn't had a baby before why not just encourage her? What is so hard about helping her get in the proper mind set? If you don't want to have a natural birth that's fine, but why would anyone feel the need to discourage someone else? You aren't going to feel her labor!!

As always, thanks for reading!! I love having you ladies!!

And yes, I'm still pregnant!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

January 6th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
yay that bugs me too. I mean I had a epidural with Nichole and not even thought about having a natural labor with her. And to tell the truth my labor was fine. It hurt before getting it, it didn't after. I don't regret getting it. I just hated the hospital in general. That is why I am going natural.
Woman need to support each other more. I hope you told her that she can do it if she so chooses. And there are ways to prepare. Sad.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 6th, 2009, 07:58 AM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would encourage her to educate herself with credible sources before making her decision. It was a no brainer for me, because the more I read about how magical our bodies are and how beautiful and fascinating the whole birthing process is, I decided that I want to experience it all...even the pain. To me its worth it. I hope she makes an educated decision instead of a bias one based on others uneducated decisions!!!

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
That really stinks! How did she respond?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 6th, 2009, 10:43 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
It is so sad. There was a thread recently about epidurals in our DDC and people were discussing their previous labors and the words they used to describe them were so sad to read. People who go into thinking it is going to be horrific, painful and torturous, and then are strapped to a bed for the duration of their labor, are going to have a crappy experience. I really believe the mind is a powerful tool. I have not given birth yet, but i have read a lot. I also participate in endurance events and it is all about pain management after a certain point and being meditative about the pain and discomfort. I see labor as no different. And hey, if i have a 21% chance of an orgasmic birth, whoohoo! even better

January 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
a bunch of ladies in my playroom LOVED their epidurals. That's just the way it goes. I don't believe in sugar coating labor...it's different for everyone. Mine was he-double hockey sticks b/c of my back issues, but I don't regret not getting meds and won't next time either.

January 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
at my first 100 mile running race, i wrote a very apt quote on my arm in sharpie "pain is weakness leaving your body" That has been my mantra since. And another one we use a lot, is "pain is temporary, pride is forever" both can be applied to NCB

January 6th, 2009, 04:11 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
^ LOVE those quotes! "Pain is weakness leaving the body" is a quote that the Marine Corps uses in their training (DH is a Marine.)

I think those women were discouraging because, unfortunately, I think a lot of women feel threatened when other women want to have a natural birth or do things differently than them, so they have to put them down. It's sad that they can't support her and commend her for what she wants to do.

You should invite and encourage her to come to this board!! : )
January 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i hear stuff like that a lot. i personally did not find labor very painful. i just felt a lot of pressure, but i wouldn't describe it as really painful at all. you should definitely invite her to check out this board to get insight and support!

January 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I did invite her to visit this board. Hopefully, she will check it out and get some encouragment!

mgm - I love those quotes! I'm writing them on my birth plan! I really hope she has the right support around her. I know that when you want NCB and don't achieve it because of lack of support, it just sucks!! That happened with me and it really did cause some problems. You aren't just free to bond and love your baby. I had to work mentally through some of that stuff. Anyway, I hope she pops in here and sees that it is entirely possible!!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

January 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
i hear stuff like that a lot. i personally did not find labor very painful. i just felt a lot of pressure, but i wouldn't describe it as really painful at all. you should definitely invite her to check out this board to get insight and support![/b]
ditto!!! Some guy was like so it really hurt huh, and I said no not really and he started laughing at me telling me it's painful. Uh your a man, how would you know!? lol... But I totally agree.... It doesn't hurt that much, the pressure is just more intense.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search