Looking for your opinions

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello all. I am pleased to say that I now have my midwife and doula all lined up. The more I thought about having a Doula on top of my midwife and birthing team the more I realized it was what I wanted, and my husbands worry about the extra expense is manageable. So I have gone ahead and hired her (and she is wonderful!).

Ok, on to my question...for you been there done that moms, or even those who haven't...do you see a need to go to prenatal classes even though you have a midwife and a Doula? My problem is that the prenatal class my hospital offers is all about Lamaze and pain management. I will not be using Lamaze, and am already very self educated when it comes to pain management. The Bradley Method classes where I live are upwards of 400-500 dollars. My Doula is already costing $600, so I had to chose one or the other and I chose to have a Doula.

Did I just cut my own throat? Do you think I will be o.k. if I self educate with reading and video's along with the advice of my Doula and Midwife? How much importance would you put on prenatal classes?

Thanks so much for your opinions!

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 6th, 2009, 03:16 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Does the doula or midwife offer classes? Our birth center has a class, and it is $250 and includes breast feeding. I think if you do a lot of homework and studying, you should be ok. But what do i know, i am a first timer too Our birth center requires the class, so we will be going. You can also do hypnobirthing home courses.

January 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have any birthing classes - I just read lots of books and taught myself.

January 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I don't think they're a MUST if you have a midwife and doula lined up AND you educate yourself a lot.

With my daughter, I took Bradley Method classes. This time I won't be taking any classes. I think the classes helped me last time, but I know that if I didn't take them, my midwife would've still helped me with positioning, calming, etc.

With having a midwife AND doula, I think you'll be fine!
January 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
While I don't think birthing classes are a must, they sure can't do anything but help if they are geared towards preparing your for NCB. But you if you an avid reader, you could still get some benefit from books on Bradley. And you can get the Hypnobabies home course for a discount through their website.
January 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I took Bradley courses (they were $250 in my area), but you can find a bunch of books on the method at your library/bookstore. The main 2 are Natural Childbirth: The Bradley Method by Susan Mckutcheon (sp?) and Husband-Led Childbirth by Bradley (I might have the titles slightly wrong, but they should be close).

I read those and did the course and I probably would've been fine just reading the books.

January 7th, 2009, 05:35 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally feel that for first time moms they are a must. In fact the BC I work for requires them. Hospital classes can also be really beneficial, as the #1 think classes really teach is exactly what goes on while in labor.

That said- many of my clients (first timers) don't take classes, for the exact reasons you said, and it makes it more difficult for sure, and they have a much bigger incidence of transfering.

You can also ask your doula if she would be willing to do 2 extra prenatal meetings (for a fee) to teach you the basics of labor, what to expect, etc. I would do that for my clients for maybe 150$ extra, but would go lower in price if needed.

January 7th, 2009, 06:02 AM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much ladies! I may just take the hopsital class to learn the basics of birth and just sit through the rest of their preechy epi talks. I think that course is $200 as opposed to the 400-500 for the Bradley Method. I will also talk to my doula and see if my Midwifery Group offers any prenatal classes as well.

Again thanks for all of your opinions...this is a first for me, and I wasn't sure how much people actually got out of the prenatal classes.

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search