Pushing vs. breathing the baby down?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are your feelings on both methods?

I am willing to try the breathing the baby down, but having given birth twice before.... I am not sure I can resist the urge I had to push. I still have some reading to do on both methods, but was looking for some input from you ladies

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

January 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did both for both my boys. I breathed them down until I got to the point of not being able to resist the urge to push anymore and then I pushed. For both of them it only took a couple pushes and they were out because I had breathed them most of the way down already. For my first it was not my choice--I went faster than my ob thought I would and I wasn't allowed to push yet because they weren't ready. For my second it was my own choice to do things the way I did.

I just couldn't get past that urge to push to breathe them completely out. It worked out well though and will probably do the same thing next time.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

January 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first two I pushed, with my third I breathed him down untill he was crowning then pushed. I don't think I could have done it if I didn't have him in the water, it helped me relax and think more clearly.

ETA. I think that breathing down was a much more effective way of getting baby down.
January 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I didn't have time to think about it... I guess I probably 'breathed down" Courtney, but really I was hyperventilating I didn't push at all until my body kicked in on its own. Courtney was delivered in 3 minutes, Nola in less than 1.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 7th, 2009, 06:19 AM
~Jackie
What is this breathing down? I've never heard of it.
January 7th, 2009, 06:41 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Laboring down is beneficial in preventing tears, but pushing is still important. The best way is to labor down untill you have an irresistable urge, then to push. I rarely see big tears with this method.

Jackie- laboring down is just dealing with the contractions same as you have been, even if you're fully dilated. You wait to push till it is irresistable.

January 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much for asking this question. This is a topic I have not yet done much research on, so it was great reading your experiences.

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Laboring down is beneficial in preventing tears, but pushing is still important. The best way is to labor down untill you have an irresistable urge, then to push. I rarely see big tears with this method.

Jackie- laboring down is just dealing with the contractions same as you have been, even if you're fully dilated. You wait to push till it is irresistable.[/b]
cool, thanks for the explanation! I guess then I did with both girls. I never pushed until my body kicked in.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 7th, 2009, 10:05 AM
no problem.

Most unmedicated moms do labor down, although they may not know it. Even epidural moms can labor down, just by waiting. But when Vag. exams happen every hour (or less) then in the hospital they'll make you push as soon as you're to 10, even if your body isn't ready.

The urge to push generally comes after your baby has really come down in station. So laboring down is that process.

(just ot further clairify)

January 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I labored down for a little bit, waiting for my DH to arrive. Eventually the urge to push and GET HIM OUT was over powering, so I pushed to whatever felt comfortable. (In conjunction with listening to my MW, who was giving me directions so I wouldn't tear.)

Come visit my blog!
January 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Quote:
I labored down for a little bit, waiting for my DH to arrive. Eventually the urge to push and GET HIM OUT was over powering, so I pushed to whatever felt comfortable. (In conjunction with listening to my MW, who was giving me directions so I wouldn't tear.)[/b]
is baby shim born????

January 7th, 2009, 12:19 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I didn't push until the urge was unbearable
January 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM
noworries
I gave birth in a hospital and was told to push when I reached 10cm and I wish that I had told them no and just continued until my body was ready to push. I ended up pushing for an hour before Eva was born and had a couple of pretty bad tears. I think that had I waited until my body wa ready to push it would have been a much more enjoyable time for me.
January 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I breathed down with my daughter (2nd born). I only ended up having to push twice when I could no longer fight the urge and had no tearing. It was great!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

January 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess I breathed down both of my daughters. Didn't even know I did. I do know that I ticked of the OB last time by not pushing on command..lol. But, even that pushing started after my body started pushing her out, I just had to help a little.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search