My problem.....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Ok so I really wanted to go to a birthing center to have this baby...and at first I didn't think there were any in my state...the I find out there is one....2 hours away...

Now my problem....DH can't take off work until I call him and tell him its time because he only has 13 vacation days for the year...and it will take him an hour at lease to get home....he works at a mine and is normally in the middle of nowhere.

Do you think its worth the risk trying to drive to the birthing center or just go to the local hospital...

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

January 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I would go to the birth center personally. Chances are your labor will be at least 6 hours minimum (as a first timer) and you will have time to call DH and get to the birth center. It's not terribly common for first time moms to have super fast labors. Is there any way you can stay somewhere closer to the birth center for the last week or so? I will say that traveling in a car in labor isn't fun. So the closer you are when labor starts the easier it will be on you.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 7th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Do you have a third person who you feel comfortable having with you during the birth that could drive you there? If so, then you could have this person drive you to the BC and have your DH drive there separately. If I were you, I would go to the BC as well but I do understand how it would worry you to have to wait and drive that far.

Welcome to the NCB board! I hope to see you posting more!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I agree with the above posts. Our birth center is 45 mins away with no traffic, who knows with traffic! I know women who delivered there who lived much farther away. When you go into labor, they will take into account how far you live when they tell you when to come in. That is the joys of a birth center-- there is no real time limit on your labor. lol. No matter where you deliver, it seems that your DH will be at work when he will get the call, so I would go birth center. I would also find a third person who can drive you when you go into labor or a car service. Our birth center requires you to have someone arranged in advance to drive you to and from the birth center.

good luck and welcome to the board!

January 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, I'd choose the birth center. If something happened and your labor started going really quickly, you could still go to the hospital just because it's closer. It's a little nerve wracking to think about, but it will all work out. I have also heard that the majority of women go into labor at night or in the morning, so there's a chance your DH will be home anyway.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

January 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with what everyone else is saying, and I'ld go to the BD. The average unmedicated mom has a 17 hour labor, so I wouldn't stress on the time too much.

January 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Ditto to the others. With my first, my birth center was 45 mins away with no traffic. I labored at home for 5 hours before calling DH to come home from work (45 min drive) and then we had to make the trip to the birth center. Of course it was rush hour in San Diego traffic! It took us a little over an hour to get there, and when I was checked I was 6 cm. I would say as a first time mom, you have time on your hands... typically, but not always. It was NO fun laboring in the car but it was so worth it to have my birth where I did. Good luck with your decision!
January 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Thank you all for your replies...I am even more determined to try now I just hope that your replies will help persuade DH some...he's afraid that he won't be there...but I'm not worried

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

January 7th, 2009, 01:24 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be SHOCKED if he missed it. As a birth professional the quickest birth I've seen a 1st time mom have was 10 hours from water breaking, 6is hours from first contraction. And her waters broke at night... 8 pm I think....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search