Idea for my DDC

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2009, 02:18 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have decided I am going to do a topic of the week type thing. One week talk about epiduals, give links, pros/cons etc. Another week EFM, inductions, c-sections, etc. The plan is to do it in an educational manner, with information from both sides. Of course I will put a natural spin to it all, but in an educational manner.

Does this seem silly or like over kill? Should I do it maybe every other week? And when should I start? I would want to do it soon enough for people to be able to use the information or maybe trigger them to start researching on their own, but not too soon for it to be forgotten.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I think that's a good idea. I would wait until most everyone is past the halfway point. Otherwise some might forget. Or post now and bump them up as people get toward labor and birth.

Make sure you put links to informational sites. Be sure to be fair to both sides so you don't step on toes.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
noworries
I think it's a great idea. I agree that you should simply make it educational so it doesn't seem like you are trying to push anything on anyone. I think the ladies in your DDC will probably really be appreciative of the info. Hopefully it will motivate some ladies to rethink all the "necessary" medical interventions related to pregnancy and childbirth.
January 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I think it's a great idea too. It wouldn't hurt to start doing it now but you would probably want to bump them back up later. Heck, if you get enough interest you may even be able to have a separate subforum for all the information you come up with. I'm going to pop in when you do them so I can read them too!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
just try not too be too preachy. I struggle with that myself, and it can make it hard for people to really hear what you're saying.

and post links!

January 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
that is a great idea. I am the host of my ddc and I might steal the idea. Hey I can be fair most of the time.. at least on the this topic. I have had an induced epi birth. It actually went very textbook, lucky for me!
You can also throw in things like co-sleeping, breastfeeding, vaccinations, circumcision.. any of those type of things.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like a good idea. I would definitely make sure you cover both sides so it doesn't look like you're pushing one way or the other. My only concern would be that it would bring about hostile debates. I've seen things get very out of hand with some of those controversial topics. I'll definitely be lurking when you start doing them!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
great idea, I think it could be a much better idea to wait a little while first. It's true too, these topics can get pretty heated.
January 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I thought the first should be questions to ask the doc at your first visit. I know I didn't ask the right questions with my last OB, bleh, one of these days I will tell the full story, but I don't have the energy for it now.

I will include questions to ask if you have a planned c-section, want an epi or want natural.

We have already had two women change docs after just one visit (I am so proud of them..lol)

I will wait for the other topics, but this one is pertinent to now.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
I'm in your DDC I think it would be a great idea to bring up the topics and discuss them with information that is for both sides. I'd really hate for our DDC to start out on the wrong food with people being offended and with our hormones flying, we can all be easily hurt. Everyone has reasons for what they do, whether they bf or cd or not is up to them and I hope people can realize that we all love our children regardless of how we raise them. I'll do my best to help in those threads, especially the ones I know more about like cloth diapering

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
January 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
that is a great idea. I am the host of my ddc and I might steal the idea. Hey I can be fair most of the time.. at least on the this topic. I have had an induced epi birth. It actually went very textbook, lucky for me!
You can also throw in things like co-sleeping, breastfeeding, vaccinations, circumcision.. any of those type of things.[/b]
PLEASE DO!!!!!! I would also say start at the 20 weeks-ish mark.

Trying to keep the debates out would be hard though. It seems the hormones talk before the brain for many women. (myself at times also! LOL-but only when THEY start it I swear! HAHAHAHA) What I kind of did at the beginning of the July DDC was start two threads at a time for...one for the medication wanting moms Support and one for the natural moms Support (now I know I should have started three) one for the see how it goes group also. It think making sure to really drill in that the thread is to SUPPORT that topic helped it out alot! That way we all had an area of interest to visit and also if someone wanted more info they knew which way the group thought. Minus a mini debate about not allowing debates it seemed to work well. I had one inappropriate comment on one of them and I pm'd the lady very nicely and she removed her post and even apologized for the comment! But then I think we have a freaking insane board of great women...ever other DDC I have seen/lurked/posted in seems to argue---we really do the support thing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search