OMG raging hormones or just common sense!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not going to say where this comment is from because the poor girl doesn't need people jumping on her about it but....

"Seriously, to me not getting an epidural is like going outside in the freezing cold without a jacket. Whats the point in going through the pain if you can totally prevent it?"

Now when you read this do you just want to scream and holler because its one of the most ignorant comments you have ever read or are my hormones finally hitting a rage zone!?!?
January 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Um, no that is pretty darn ignorant. But, I too am inflicted with the hormonal rage..lol

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just think it's proof that so many people make uneducated decisions. I think it is safe to say that she is just one of the many women who are brainwashed and who haven't done their homework.

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Angie....CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Quote:
Pretty uneducated statement. People like to deny that there is any risk to an epidural. There is a time and place for epidurals and cesareans, but it should not be standard practice, imo.[/b]
Ditto!
January 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
The thing Is I really don't care if she wants and epi or not. I do see how its a great medical step and we can do so much more with it now of days and even that its a necessary thing at times. It just killed me to hear her compare something like not wearing a coat in freezing cold (protection) with a luxury medical option....it was the comparison that bugged me. It just seemed so inappropriate....and of course I said that to her and got my butt chewed for it on that thread and it turned into more of a debate thread then it already was.
Why do women start threads and say "just wondering what everyone else is doing" and then bash or argue when someone says what they are doing and it doesn't agree with them! Why even start the thread! Some do a great job of just state what your doing and thats it and move on....this is why I usually hate DDC.
January 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thats pretty silly what she said!

January 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thats why I hated the DDC too... I completely avoided topics like that. Some women think you are challenging them just because you are doing something different. Just wait until the babies are born! Then it gets really bad with co-sleep/crib sleep, vax/nonvax, CIO/noCIO... Your head will start spinning. I got to the point where I didnt even want to mention that I was BFing because it hurt other peoples feelings that werent BFing.......................................... Just let that one sink in....

ETA: That analogy is right up there with the getting a root canal w/out pain meds analogy...

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
January 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think our society just has the mindset that any and all pain should be fixed, whether it's a headache or the pain of childbirth. We forgot that not even Tylenol comes without some risk. We should be more cautious about what we put in our bodies, especially when they are not natural substances.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

January 9th, 2009, 11:48 PM
What really sucks is now I managed to ostracize myself some in the DDC and I don't feel comfortable there anymore I'm in between two months so I now try to stick to the other month LOL

They should have a crunchy moma DDC for all preggers!!!
January 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
They should have a crunchy moma DDC for all preggers!!![/b]
HA! I agree

January 10th, 2009, 08:56 AM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I felt much the same way with my first pregnancy. I honestly thought that NCB was for crazy crunchy-granola hippies who wanted to prove something. I think that it's becoming a bit more "mainstream" now, though, which is a good thing. I felt like the resources I saw and people I talked to who were NCB advocates just didn't "get it" and were preachy, ya know? Why would all the medical professionals and all the hospitals and all the nurses be reassuring us that epi's and medication was low risk if it wasn't.

My mindset changed even after having a perfectly good epidural and vaginal birth with no complications, too! I just started reading more and watched "The Business of Being Born" and started to think outside the box. Low risk doesn't mean NO RISK. And, why risk it if you don't HAVE to? That's my stance now. I'm going into this birth with the knowledge, preparation, and mindset that the best birth for me is a natural one. I will not close my mind to other possibilities, but my eye will be on the prize and my goal is 100% natural.

BTW: I totally believed the root canal analogy, too!

January 10th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Jen84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What really sucks is now I managed to ostracize myself some in the DDC and I don't feel comfortable there anymore I'm in between two months so I now try to stick to the other month LOL

Maybe your debate led a few undecided women to do their homework. Obviously the one that said that interesting analogy isn't as easy to sway from what she thinks, but at least a few other women who saw the thread might be re-thinking their decisions.

Cycle #21
Roses are red,
so is your period.
Happy Valentine's Day girls!
..::Journal::...................:ictures::..

lilygirl <3
</div>
January 12th, 2009, 11:42 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

I'm sorry Angela, that does suck. I've read many times where it's hard for NCB mama's in their DDC's if they speak up. It's too bad women can't all just support each other more. An NCB preggers board is great, of course I guess that's what we kind of have hear. If you don't feel comfy in either DDC, you know you'll always be one of us!
January 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Well my July DDC actually ROCKS for NCB momas---its a very crunchy/AP type group!!!! Since I'm due july 27th I was playing in the Aug also group--but My home is in July even if I do go late!
We have had a couple threads on c/s with NO debates even-and there were strong opinions in there on the negative side of c/s in the states.
From what I have seen its one of the friendliest/supportive DDC ever---could be biased though.
January 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Great news! I'm glad you found another "home" that's supportive and friendly. Even greater that some share your philosophies.

How are you feeling btw? Has being pregnant in Thailiand presented any challenges thus far? Is the plan still to come back to the States for a homebirth?
January 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
There is a time and place for epidurals and cesareans, but it should not be standard practice, imo.[/b]
EXACTLY! I agree 100%.

January 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Great news! I'm glad you found another "home" that's supportive and friendly. Even greater that some share your philosophies.

How are you feeling btw? Has being pregnant in Thailiand presented any challenges thus far? Is the plan still to come back to the States for a homebirth?[/b]
I'm actually no longer in Thailand. I am now in the Philippines. We fly home for two weeks and so I was right on time for my first midwife appointment!!! 11weeks at the time. So now I need to see a philippine's provider for feb/march/april monthy checks and then in May I will have my anatomy u/s and sugar test with my MW and then off to what ever assignment after that...we have to be stateside as of July 1st week (my 36th week point).
January 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Wow, your Thailiand stint was really short. How is it finding a local provider in the Phillippines?

Your LO is most definitely a little globetrotter already.
January 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM
LO has been in Thailand, Cambodia, Japan, USA, Hong Kong and Philippines so far! LOL not bad for 12 weeks along. (hong kong/japan were layovers only). I haven't had to go to a provider here yet, but I do already have a hospital approved by my "people" in town and I hear its good. I will need my next check first week of feb, I had my last a couple days before I left for here!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search