Frustration

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
that would probably be best for you to do. But I do have my Doula and she is studying to be a midwife. She would be a great person to talk to.
January 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I love how the ladies on this board can help out from anywhere!!

That sucks that the laws are written that way in your state. Hopefully, you'll at least be able to find a doula/OB pair that will support your choices!! GL!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

January 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Living in Canada all of our laws and rules are slightly different. I just wanted to wish you lots of luck getting this sorted out. It really doesn't seem fair, and I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. HUGS

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Veteran
So tricare WILL cover a birth center? My husband is airforce too, and we live on mcguire, but I think i've said that already lol, and I want so badly to go to a birth center, but obviously there are none here. how far is the one in DE? And do you mind me asking the info for it, like if they have a website or anything? And just regular tricare prime is taken there? And tricare will allow us to go to a birth center? Sorry so many questions...I'm just amazing, cause I thought they would never cover one.

January 9th, 2009, 10:22 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, they will it looks like it is about 70 mins from here, so not too bad IMO.

They also cover a midwife group if they are backed by MD's. I think I read last time that they will cover HB too. I can't do HB because of my c-section though, boo!

http://www.thebirthcenter.com/ShowPage.asp?id=128

Now, you have the option of switching to Standard too. This gives you even more options since it works differently. You would have to make co-pays, but you would be able to have more choices in who you see. You have to stay on standard for a year and then can re-enroll in prime afterwards.

You can ALSO enroll in the Prime option http://www.usfhp.org/newsite/portal/default.asp . Two of my co-workers ahve this for their familes and they like it. I am not 100% sure how it works though.

If you want to find provider though for Tricare Prime the site for that is https://www.hnfs.net/bene/home then click on find provider on teh left hand side.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I just read through and homebirth is not covered.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 9th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Veteran
wow! thats awesome, I need to tell my husband this then lol! cause he was convinced they wouldent cover birth centers or anything...so when he calls I'm going to inform him and when he gets back from deployment we can start looking for one! I did find one in huntingdon PA, which is only 33 miles from base...so right now i think that might be the only one I can convince my hubby to go to cause he's afraid if its too far that i will deliver in the car or something lol. Which I doubt, but you know men! They are not experts in the birthing field. lol Thanks so much for all the info, its been a great help! I can't wait to talk to my husband about it!

January 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
The only one that came up as being in network was the one in Delaware. I am not sure how it would work for you though since I know you could choose to go somewhere else, pay the point of service fee and have Tricare cover some of it. Since I am Active Duty I can't do that. Sometimes I wish I was a dependent so I could go on Standard while I was pregnant since you have more options that way.

Sail Back to Me
January 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Veteran
Tricare covers homebirths!!! There is a midwifery group not far from McGuire that does homebirths for women on both Tricare Standard and Tricare Prime. It is totally possible!

There are also birth centers in Philadelphia. I guess they aren't in network but you could ask them to be! It's just a matter of the midwives filling out paperwork. Heck - there are DEMs that have been covered by Tricare. I know of a traveling midwife who has gotten reimbursed by Tricare in NJ and is willing to do HBACs.

There are no cost shares for maternity while on Tricare Standard. There ARE cost shares for everything else but they aren't terrible. I think the cap is $1000 for the year but it might be different depending on rank. You will not pay anything to have a baby with Tricare Standard. But you can't switch back to Prime for a year.

January 11th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Can you get me the name of the midwife that will do a HBAC. From my research with Evie I found the law in NJ to say you can't do a HBAC, but of she is willing, so am I!

Also, I remember seeing on the Tricare benefits sheet with Evie (she is 8 months) that is was covered, but when I looked the other day it didn't say that anymore. I guess either they updated the web-site and didn't feel a need to put it on there, or they don't cover it anymore

Sail Back to Me
January 12th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Can you get me the name of the midwife that will do a HBAC. From my research with Evie I found the law in NJ to say you can't do a HBAC, but of she is willing, so am I!

Also, I remember seeing on the Tricare benefits sheet with Evie (she is 8 months) that is was covered, but when I looked the other day it didn't say that anymore. I guess either they updated the web-site and didn't feel a need to put it on there, or they don't cover it anymore [/b]

Hmmmm..... if you can't homebirth with Tricare, then it is a very recent change.

Here is the info on a traveling midwife who will take Tricare.

You're right - there is a law in NJ that prohibits midwives from attending hbacs. A midwife in NJ can lose her license over this. However, if a midwife is NOT licensed in NJ, what can NJ do?

Here is some more information on traveling midwives who might be willing to assist.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

January 12th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Veteran
Oh, and here are the homebirth midwives in NJ that take Tricare Prime and Standard. They are about 30 minutes from McGuire. They will travel up to an hour for a homebirth so McGuire is obviously okay for them. They don't do hbacs though. They will deliver vbacs at their back up hospital (which has a relatively high vbac rate and low c-section rate for NJ!!!) in Trenton.

January 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I don't see the NJ midwives on teh HealthNEt site, but I emailed them to see if they are in-network. If they say no I will request they become in-network. I don't mind a hospital birth given my history, but having my OB ask me at least 10 times if I wanted the epi really pissed me off. It would be nice to work with people that see birth the way I do!

Sail Back to Me
January 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Veteran
You emailed the ones in NJ that will do hospital vbacs? I don't know why they are not on the healthnet site. I asked them about that before because I had a friend on Prime that wanted to use them. They assured me that they have attended wives on Prime as well as active duty women themselves. They said just to call them and they can work you through anything. They only have office hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I've emailed with them before and they were pretty good about emailing but I wouldn't hesitate to call them either. Their office assistant is pretty knowledgable. Women who birth with them don't really "do" epidurals. They pretty much assume that when you sign on with them. They hospital won't try to talk to you about epidurals either. The staff knows better.

January 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Yes I email the NJ hossy birth midwives. I know my DH feels more comfortable with us being in a hospital and as long as no one gives me grief about it I am happy.

Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search