I think I *might* have found a doula!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2009, 07:29 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I figured I would be smart and at least research doula options...for me, the role that a doula fills just feels so personal that I was worried about having some random person come in and do that...but I figured with the choices I'm making in childbirth, a doula would probably be a great advantage to me....so I googled...
And...for awhile I was feeling pretty discouraged...especially when like...no one contacts you back they just put you on their mailing list for crappy emails about seminars they are giving (NOT good customer service).

But this morning my phone rang at work, I hurry up and eat my last pistachio expecting another applicant to be calling when it's a doula that I had emailed about her services! She had called me!! Yaay...so she confirms where I'm delivering again, and then asks what practice I'm with. When I told her the practice and that I had requested their midwife to assist the delivery she told me the greatest news I could imagine...that my midwife is awesome (which I knew but still...) and that while the hospital is pretty uptight about their policy, they are used to working with Karen (my midwife) and are a lot more accepting of the way her births go, and that she (the doula) had worked with Karen before several times...
Plus she also told me that the secret is, the attending OB or midwife's policies trump the hospital policies everytime...so if I get Karen or even another OB in my practice to sign off on my birth plan than they have to comply with that (and generally don't make a huge fuss about doing it). That was like music to my ears.

Plus this doula is trained in the hypno birthing thing...which to be honest I really like and I thought it would be awesome to have that as part of my "help" when I had emailed her.
Oh and did I mention she is affordable!!!

Omg I think I'm in doula love!! How very ironic since just yesterday I was thinking "omg finding a doula is kind of like internet dating...akward!"
January 9th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Oh that is so exciting! Yay!!! Are you going to meet with her? I'm so happy for you!!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Oh that is so exciting! Yay!!! Are you going to meet with her? I'm so happy for you!![/b]

Yeah Dh wants to talk to our midwife about having a doula before we meet with anyone so I'm hoping to meet with her after my next apt. (next thursday).
January 9th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
It sounds like if she's worked with your midwife before that they probably have a great working relationship so I doubt your midwife will have any problems with your hiring her. That's so great Sarah! I can't wait to hear about your meeting, when you do meet with her.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Quote:
It sounds like if she's worked with your midwife before that they probably have a great working relationship so I doubt your midwife will have any problems with your hiring her. That's so great Sarah! I can't wait to hear about your meeting, when you do meet with her.[/b]

I know that really excited me! Plus DH wasn't/isn't totally sold on the idea of a doula so he wanted to ask our midwife if she thought it was a good idea and if she knew of anyone sooooo....this is like beyond perfect!!! hehe!!!
January 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
she won't be random at all once your birth comes, she will be like a friend. The nurse will be totally random though....
January 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is awesome!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that is awesome!

I'm so sorry you had such a hard time getting called back though.... I make it a huge priority to contact clients back within at most 24 hours (unless I'm at a birth), even if it's just a "I only have a few minutes, just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten you. When would be a good time for me to call back and talk more?" phone call.

but it sounds like it worked out how it was meant to! :"cheer: I hope your DH likes her!

January 9th, 2009, 09:27 AM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Heh, I thought I might see you in here Sarah! I'm just starting to think about a doula too. I haven't called around yet but I have done some research on the internet. My worry right now is that all the ladies in my town that advertise their doula services on the web seem to be younger than me. I have this idea in my head of my doula being a sort of older, fatter, grand-mother-y type lady... I just want someone who has been doula-ing for a long time and has a no-nonsense attitude (like my real Grandma, she never puts up with whining LOL).

It's awesome that you've found someone that seems like a good fit. If you don't mind my asking, what does she charge? I'm pretty sure a doula won't be covered by my insurance, so if I end up getting one it'll be all out-of-pocket.

baby Roger @ 7 months

January 9th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Heh, I thought I might see you in here Sarah! I'm just starting to think about a doula too. I haven't called around yet but I have done some research on the internet. My worry right now is that all the ladies in my town that advertise their doula services on the web seem to be younger than me. I have this idea in my head of my doula being a sort of older, fatter, grand-mother-y type lady... I just want someone who has been doula-ing for a long time and has a no-nonsense attitude (like my real Grandma, she never puts up with whining LOL).

It's awesome that you've found someone that seems like a good fit. If you don't mind my asking, what does she charge? I'm pretty sure a doula won't be covered by my insurance, so if I end up getting one it'll be all out-of-pocket.[/b]

She charges $550...for two prenatal visits, one post natal visit, on call support and continous labor support. As far as my research has shown that's a pretty decent rate. We will have to cover it out of pocket as well..not sure quite how that's going to happen but it will...lol.

I have it easy to find someone older than me!! loll
January 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is awesome news Sarah! I can't wait to hear what your midwife has to say about it and how a meeting with the doula goes. Hope you continue the doula love!
January 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
She charges $550...for two prenatal visits, one post natal visit, on call support and continous labor support. As far as my research has shown that's a pretty decent rate. We will have to cover it out of pocket as well..not sure quite how that's going to happen but it will...lol.

I have it easy to find someone older than me!! loll[/b]
Cool, that seems like a great deal! Thanks for the info.

baby Roger @ 7 months

January 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hear you about being in Doula love! I'm meeting with mine tomorrow for the first time, however we have exchained many e-mails and have had long phone conversations. I'm so happy for you! And the fact that she already knows your midwife is an extra bonus! I hope when you meet that you all get along. YAY!!!!!!

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

It's awesome that you've found someone that seems like a good fit. If you don't mind my asking, what does she charge? I'm pretty sure a doula won't be covered by my insurance, so if I end up getting one it'll be all out-of-pocket.[/b]
good luck finding a doula for you! I'm younger then nearly all of my clients- so if you're open to it, you may consider looking into some of the younger doulas- they may have the exact right persona for you.

January 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Wow, that does sound like doula love! I'm so happy for you; there is nothing like the security of knowing you've got an awesome doula for support. And what great news about your midwife as well. It sounds like things are really on track for you!

Come visit my blog!
January 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
^^Hey Nikki, did your Doula even have time to show up?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search