New Here =]

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
Hi Everyone! My name is Liza and I am due approx 9/3 w/ my second baby! I am 28, married to Chris (30) and we have a beautiful son, Timothy, who will be one on 3/13. Timmy is usually known as The Boy Anyway, I had an epi w/ Timmy and it was really a wonderful experience except that my BP dropped the closer I got to having him and it was a really scary experience for that. I felt like I was going to pass out every time I had a contraction! This time I would really like to try and go w/ no drugs, but I am sooooo scared!! I don't handle pain very well, though I try to. And w/ Timmy, he came out hand first and I tore from the inside out and am afraid of that happening again. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and I hope that you can all help encourage me to try to do this naturally!!

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
January 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome, and congrats!!!!

To deliever a 2nd baby in that position is really rare. I recently had a client who's first baby had a nunchal hand, and her new baby didn't. she needed only a few stitches, where last time she had a 3rd degree tear. I bet the same thing happens for you!

January 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
noworries
Welcome and congrats on baby #2!
Giving birth doesn't have to be painful. I gave birth to my baby girl naturally with very little pain (the only really painful part was when she was crowning and that doesn't last long at all). I would recommend looking into taking hypnobirthing classes or doing the home study course of hypnobabies.
January 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay!!! A Sept mommy!!! Welcome.

You probably knew I would be over here, huh?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 9th, 2009, 09:43 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Welcome! Can't wait to get to know you! Your little man is adorable!

January 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
meghan - i didn't even think about it really, but now i'm not surprised at all LOL!!! I'm glad I have someone in the same DDC here though!! YAY!!

thanks everyone! I sure hope #2 doesn't come hand first! or foot first or anything but head first!

The contractions I had after T was born were way worse than anything I felt during labor. The nurse told me that they are usually worse than labor contrax and they would last for something like 3 minutes at times!! If I can handle that I'm sure i can handle labor, but it's still really scary to think about!

January 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Liza! Don't let your first experience scare you. This birth could be completely different. Just try to figure out what you want and work at achieving those goals. And most importantly, try to let the fear melt away. I'm sure it's hard, but it will only do you harm. Carrie's idea of looking into Hypnobabies or Hypnobirthing is great because not only will the techniques help you learn to calm your fears, but they will help you manage the pain too. The support of a doula would probably really help you too.

The women on this board are amazing! So stick around and learn all your can. I also highly encourage you to read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. The birth stories in the first part of the book are so inspiring. And don't forget to read our own mama's birth stories in this board too.
January 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
noworries
I second the suggestion of reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I think reading such inspiring NCB stories can definitely help anyone overcome the fear they might have thinking about a NCB.
January 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome! I'm Shanna (28) married to Jeff (33). We're expecting our first baby June 1st. I understand your fear of the unknown. I have never experienced a NCB either, however with everything I have read and the support team I have built, I feel so positive that I can do it. I agree that hiring a Doula is a very good idea. Are you planning on going with an OB or a midwife? I think if you build a very supportive team to help you with the fear and managing the pain, you will benifit in the end.

The Boy is adorable! I really look forward to getting to know you better!

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I have an ob that I used with Timmy, but I'm not overly wild about her. She's nice, as a person, but as an ob she's not the best. The doc I really want to use is in her office though and I may end up with her at delivery anyway.

I'm not exactly sure what a doula is or how i find one or how much it costs. Any help there? LOL!

January 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Hi! Welcome to the NCB board! Definitely educate your self and prepare yourself and you can do it!!!!

January 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM
A Doula is a labor support person. She is a mother to the mother, of sorts. They are there to give physical, emotional and informational support to you and your husband. They can be vital in giving the extra emotional and practical support you need to achieve a natural birth, or whatever your birth plans may be.

Prices vary depending on where you live. Some charge up to $1000 for a couple of prenatal visits and continuing labor/delivery support. But if money is seriously tight, you could also look into hiring a doula in training, who may offer her services for free or at a highly discounted rate because she's needing to add to her experience or gain certification.

Many NCB mama's wouldn't even think about having a baby without a Doula. You can certainly achieve the birth you want without one, but they can be invaluable help.
January 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not only that, but I have also just read a study that shows that having a doula can lower the time you are in labor up to 8 hours! I wasn't going to hire a Doula at first because I had a midwife, but I then realized that knowing myself...I would need the extra support when it came time. They really do range in price...mine is $600 for two prenatal visits and 2 visits after the birth, plus she is always there for questions and advice.

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

January 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I've read that a typical price range depending on where you live is $300-$1000.
January 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
that's a lot of money we don't have, and i don't think chris would be too excited about hiring one if we had to pay that much

January 9th, 2009, 12:05 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
when you think about the time invested on the part of the doula though it doesn't seem as bad.... I typically spend 4-6 hours in prenatals, 3ish hours on phone or answering emails, an average of 12 hours in labor with the mom, 3 hours postpartum and about 4 hours looking up/doing paperwork and preparing for meetings, so that's 27 hours! Plus they only take a certain number of clients per month (4 for me) to be available on call for you.

a doula greatly increases satisfaction with labor, successfulness breastfeeding and family bonding. She decreases labor length by 20% on average, and greatly lowers cesarean/surgical births (episiotomy, forceps and vacume), as well as greatly increases natural birth rates.

So- although i realize it's a big cost, you have to decide if it is worth saving up for to have the best birth you can. forgoing 1 meal out a week all pregnancy would pay for your doula. Also- many doulas will discount births for clients in need, or will barter (especially great!). I personally wouldn't hire a brand new doula on her own for myself without a glowing personal reccomendation. As for amount of discounts- I'm willing to take off over 40% of my fee when it's needed.

Hope that helps!

January 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Liza!

Expecting baby #4!

January 9th, 2009, 12:39 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Welcome, I'm Cheryl, co-host here and mommy to Acadia. Thanks for joining us!!

January 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
Welcome! I'm so glad you're here, all the ladies are so nice and full of information. Congrats on your pregnancy, I wish you a healthy and happy 9 months! My name is Tiffany (I'll be 24 in March), married to Bobby (real name Robert, he'll be 25 in early February), and we have a daughter (Rayne) who just turned two years old on Monday

January 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM
thank you so much for all the welcomes!!

I told Chris today that I am really considering natural childbirth and he said "good luck with that" :eyeroll: but i'm the one pushing the baby out my bajingo, not him, so i think it's up to me what I want to do!

I would be really interested in a doula, but still want to have a hospital birth. I guess I'll have to do a bunch of research! does the doula come to the hospital at all for delivery?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search