Question about finding a doula

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2009, 07:25 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Hi smarty gals

I am looking online for a doula. I found a group who also do hypnobirthing classes. I would like to meet with them and get some info and see if we "click." Now here is my question, is it normal to interview prospective doulas to find a good match? I do not want to be rude or anything and not sure how this all works. Any questions or anything I should be looking for?

January 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hi smarty gals

I am looking online for a doula. I found a group who also do hypnobirthing classes. I would like to meet with them and get some info and see if we "click." Now here is my question, is it normal to interview prospective doulas to find a good match? I do not want to be rude or anything and not sure how this all works. Any questions or anything I should be looking for?[/b]

I just straight out asked if it was possible to meet with them prior to hiring them...this seemed to be perfectly acceptable and was well received with everyone I asked...I figured even if it was rude, if I was going to spend x amount of money to hire someone for a very intimate position of supporting me in labor I sure as heck want to make sure me and DH are comfortable with them! lol.
January 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You should absolutely interview doulas. All doulas I have seen offer a free introductory meeting. I was just looking up local doula in my area yesterday and one was very clear that you should both be really comfy with each other, you especially with her. This is going to be an integral part of your birth team so you need to make sure she not only has the qualifications you need but probably more importantly, that she gives you the feeling you will need during your L&D.

Check out these websites for questions you should ask:

http://www.dona.org/mothers/how_to_hire_a_doula.php
http://www.babycenter.com/0_doula-intervie...-dou_1458427.bc
January 13th, 2009, 09:53 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I see it as a necessity. You want to really click with them and see what they are about. If someone gets offended over that, then forget them anyway. We only met with one ourselves b/c she came with a direct highly praised recommendation from someone who's sister used her twice. We did meet with her at about 16 weeks to make sure.
January 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep- it's totally fine!

When I do introductary interviews I schedule them to be 30 minutes long, and I have papers/things to share. I also take questions of course. But you don't necessarily need to have a long interview list like from many sites, b/c most doulas will answer them first off. The best questions to ask are personal ones, for your situation.

January 13th, 2009, 12:14 PM
thanks everyone! i will give her a call today or tomorrow, she did not seem keen on email, which is my communication of choice

January 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
I definitely think you should interview her. I wouldn't want to hire anyone I wasn't comfortable with first. Here are the ?s I asked my potential doula...

- What is your training? Are you certified? If so, by what organization? And what was required in order to receive this certification?

- How many births have you attended?

- What is your scope of practice (what can and can’t your do to assist me?) Describe what you typically do to help a mother, from the beginning of labor to after the baby is born.

- Are you familiar with my doctor/midwife/hospital/birth center? Do you get along well with my caregiver? How do you work with the dr’s, nurses, and other hospital staff?

- When do you typically join a mother in labor? Would you come to my house if I want to labor there before going to the hospital?

- Which labor-coping techniques do you think tend to be the most helpful? How do you feel about the use of pain medication during labor?

- How would you help advocate for my wishes of a natural delivery?

- Have you ever assisted in a water birth? How were you involved?

- How many visits will we have before and after birth? What is involved with each visit?

- Do you have anyone else due near the time I'm due?

- Do you have a backup arrangement with another doula or group of doulas in case you're not free when I go into labor? Can I meet them?
February 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Small update

Hi everyone! I am still on the search, in the process of contacting a lot of people. A lot of doulas here charge well over $1000, so i am also trying to find affordable doulas as well i did contact via email, my old patient who is in midwife school. I hope to hear from her soon. thanks for your help so far. I hope to start interviewing in the next few weeks.

February 24th, 2009, 12:42 PM
KaylaMeow's Avatar Canned Spontaneity
Send a message via MSN to KaylaMeow Send a message via Yahoo to KaylaMeow
My doula is actually a friend of mine who is a Bradley Method instructor. She's not my instructor, I actually have another one for our classes. It's just a cool coincidence! Fortunately, I know she already knows what it is I want, she's trained in what I want, and we already know each other really well!

But we did interview a few with my last pregnancy, and most doulas I spoke to actually prefer to do an interview in the beginning anyway, and won't accept a job without an interview first.
February 25th, 2009, 06:19 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am one who HAS to do an interview, for everyones benefit. But often my interviews turn into prenatal appts.

February 25th, 2009, 07:24 AM
i cannot imagine hiring someone without an interview!!!!!

February 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck with your search! I never had a doula so I can't offer an suggestions but I'm sure you'll find a great one!

Are you going to take the hypnobirthing classes? I love hypnobirthing--it's what I used in both my labors!!!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

February 25th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I may do the hypnobabies home course, still debating!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search